Thread: Xbox 360 premium content?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Default Xbox 360 premium content?

Something that Microsoft has been quiet about are the downloads that will be available for certain games to get clothing, guns, maps, etc. I dont like the idea of shelling out additional money for something Ive already paid $50-$60 for. Does this mean that you can buy a bigger gun for $1.99 and then be able to destroy everyone in your path on Xbox Live? Anyone know more info on this? This is the only detail about the 360 that I dont know if like.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know currently on XBL , they have downloadable content come out all the time. Sometimes it cost and sometimes it is free. Normally it ends up being free after some time has passed

I dont know how it is going to swing with the 360 though :/

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

The idea is not to make you pay to play, but rather pay to further your experience.

For a game to be released on the 360 it has to be reviewed by MS and that means it has to be a full game, not one that's missing something critical.

The idea of premium content is to just further that game experience.

For example DOA4 is gonna ship for launch and it will include the usual array of DOA arenas and costumes. However Team Ninja will also be offering costumes and arenas for download at a small price over the following months as well.

I doubt we'll ever see anything released as premium content that will unbalence the game simply because of the flack the developer would receive.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check it here:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259736.asp

1600 points for $20. So $1=80pts. And from what I hear most items will cost 100pts. But they're probably still working out everything right now. But this is a good guestimate.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I think the distinction to make here is that the content downloadable for Xbox360 will NOT be on the game discs when you buy them. You will literally be downloading the binary files needed, as opposed to just unlocking access to the content from the disc.

Of course you'll say, why couldn't they just put it on the disc anyhow, but then that defeats the object of the downloadable size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    I think the distinction to make here is that the content downloadable for Xbox360 will NOT be on the game discs when you buy them. You will literally be downloading the binary files needed, as opposed to just unlocking access to the content from the disc.

Of course you'll say, why couldn't they just put it on the disc anyhow, but then that defeats the object of the downloadable size.
    Exactly, so they can squeeze the most money out of you after you paid full price for a game. I wonder how many companies are going to take advantage of this downloadable content.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The downloadable content thing is not new. Halo 2 did it with its map packs (which you could buy the disc as well)

They set it up so you could download and pay for maps , but 3 months later the content was free.

They also did the same thing with Mech Warrior and many, many other titles.

I assume it will be the same for the 360 or any system that has a hard drive. :/

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv

Exactly, so they can squeeze the most money out of you after you paid full price for a game. I wonder how many companies are going to take advantage of this downloadable content.
    One valid reason for content downloads is that a developer can release a game on schedule (so it's in our hot little paws when we want it), and continue to support it with new maps, etc. I'm all for it if the content is quality, which it typically is. Patches occasionally are released that fix or balance online play issues as well. It's a pretty valuable service for the gamer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv

One valid reason for content downloads is that a developer can release a game on schedule (so it's in our hot little paws when we want it), and continue to support it with new maps, etc. I'm all for it if the content is quality, which it typically is. Patches occasionally are released that fix or balance online play issues as well. It's a pretty valuable service for the gamer.
    Unfortunately, this will turn into a system that will alow developers to release bug ridden games because they know they can fall back on the ability to mass distribute a patch/fix.

Sounds crappy to me.
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pollock
    Unfortunately, this will turn into a system that will alow developers to release bug ridden games because they know they can fall back on the ability to mass distribute a patch/fix.

Sounds crappy to me.
    Sounds great to have those seemingly-random bugs reported enmasse and fixed by the developers. Seriously, I've had a bunch of "top-quality" games crash on me lately, even Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), not to mention Otogi 2 which has crashed multiple times! Yes, actual crashes (i.e. BZZZ).

I'd hook that sucker up to my cable box just for patches, yes, I would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pollock

Sounds crappy to me.
    Bugs occur on all systems. All next-gen systems will have online functionality. All next-gen systems will be crappy? I don't think so.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question. My xbox live membership like alot of gamers will expire nov 19 or close to it. i am buying the premium system Will I have to pay for another year or will it be included out the box as a bonus.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

I pay enough for the system, game,internet and live account as it is but to pay extra to fix or add to a game that was not up to par when released is just lame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925
    I pay enough for the system, game,internet and live account as it is but to pay extra to fix or add to a game that was not up to par when released is just lame.
    You guys must not even play downloadable-content supported games. The vast majority of these games have additional, bonus content that would not have been included at release. They aren't being released half-assed while the developers think "Eh, let's finish it later." Splinter Cell, Halo 2, Forza, PGR2, etc. etc. weren't unfinished and buggy upon release. They were supported with bonus content and slight modifications were made in a few cases to improve the online experience. And any "fixes" have been free of charge. This isn't a scam folks; it's for your benefit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this will divide people into two camps ...

The people who are console-only might think : "Wow, that's kind of interesting, maybe I'll check it out"

The people who've had extra content on PC games for years will think "Damn, what a ripoff!"

Half-Life and Quake are good examples, there are COUNTLESS free mods, maps, and entire add-ons available for them, almost always free of charge. Same for a jillion other PC games out there.

Put me in the skeptical ranks, I mean put yourself in the game developer's shoes. It will be waaay too easy to withhold items/features in an imminent game release and make them "premium content" instead of just keeping them in the game. Then while the game is hot in the first couple of months, they can scam you for extra $$$.

IMHO, the only times you should pay additional $ for something you've already bought is for MMORPG that you expected to anyways .. or for complete expansion packs.

The PC gaming community has already proven that it can develop/support/distribute add-on content without gouging gamers. This looks like greed to me, pure and simple, and the lifeblood of all corporations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaign
    The people who are console-only might think : "Wow, that's kind of interesting, maybe I'll check it out"

The people who've had extra content on PC games for years will think "Damn, what a ripoff!"

Half-Life and Quake are good examples, there are COUNTLESS free mods, maps, and entire add-ons available for them, almost always free of charge. Same for a jillion other PC games out there.

Put me in the skeptical ranks, I mean put yourself in the game developer's shoes. It will be waaay too easy to withhold items/features in an imminent game release and make them "premium content" instead of just keeping them in the game. Then while the game is hot in the first couple of months, they can scam you for extra $$$.

IMHO, the only times you should pay additional $ for something you've already bought is for MMORPG that you expected to anyways .. or for complete expansion packs.

The PC gaming community has already proven that it can develop/support/distribute add-on content without gouging gamers. This looks like greed to me, pure and simple, and the lifeblood of all corporations.
    I've been PC gaming for years as well.

But I don't get upset when some console developer charges for a content download. And I don't believe they're witholding items/features. Why? Games continue to get larger and longer in content. At release. We aren't losing ground here. Sure I can often get free content downloads on the PC. It's a different ballgame over there. There are typically lower development costs as well. It all just depends what value you place on the content. I for one think five bucks for some new multiplayer maps or golf courses ain't bad. And I'm doubt I'm alone on this. I'm pretty sure Microsoft's experience with fee-for-content downloads has been successful at this point or they wouldn't be heavily promoting the idea on the xbox 360.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree in general with what you're saying, but it's a pretty slippery slope to start sliding down. I can easily see how this could become waaay too tempting for game distributors (not the developers themselves) to decide to gimp the features out of upcoming titles and them dribble them out in 'premium content'.

Say you are Electronic Arts, and you've hired developers A, B, and C, to do the CGI, Game mechanics, level design, etc. You can compile and make a passable game with say 75% of the available content, instead of using all of it. Then release the other 25% for more $$$.

It's just going to be hard for the CFO and other corporate types to control themselves with this kind of potential for extra profits. Their job is to make barrels of money for themselves and the shareholders, nothing else. I fear quality will suffer .. and I think the add-ons will really start to add up for a regular gamer.

Say you buy 2 games a month, $50 each, and then spend another $10 on every other game for add-ons. Before long, you have spent enough extra $ that could have bought more games, accessories, maybe even an entire system.

Oh well, the market will decide in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

They don't gimp features out of games at release, because there's so many damn games coming out at the same time that to sell they NEED said features. Seriously, it hasn't happened yet, and the Xbox has been doing the Live thing since 2002. Why would it happen in the future?

Halo, Splinter Cell, Crimson Skies, KOTOR, all are games that have downloadable content that wasn't just "locked away" on the disc, it's just plain written after the game launch and released through Live.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as releasing unfinished games goes, I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't allow it under any circumstances. If they suspect a game of that, they won't approve of it. There have been small exceptions-- SW:Battlefront had an online patch, some wrestling game had a bug worked out, but they haven't released anything incomplete or broken and I think they are staying on that track.

as for premium content, I don't mind paying for map packs, arenas, expansions like the hurricane packs etc. but if they charge for stuff that is normally unlockable, then that would really suck. I don't want to pay for every extra DoA 4 costume.

Little things like costumes, avatars, and items should be both unlockable and available for purchase, if you don't feel like playing through the game.

and they should give you marketplace points when you finish a game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The xbox 360 is really expensive already. However, I do understand why MS would do this. They are trying to compete with Nintendo and Sony. It is very difficult to compete with each other to see who can make the most money. They are all doing this and let's not forget, that they are trying to promote the xbox 360 and they are trying to find creative ways in which to do it.

Halo 2 when they had their map pack expansion they sold it as a separate game so that the people who did not want to pay for xbox live could still get them. And you never know maybe something like this will happen again.
    "If I ever go looking for my heart's disire I won't go any father than my own backyard"

~Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz
    (I am reminded of this since I tried ot go away for college and what I found brought me back home.