Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic Games VP bashes Revolution and it's controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Epic Games VP bashes Revolution and it's controller.

Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a really huge video, do you think you could maybe tell us the highlights instead of posting a hilarious animated GIF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- Claims next generation sales will depend on graphics and that's all that matters.
    - The Revolution controller is a gimmick, and after buying it you will wish you never had.
    - Nintendo is not considered part of the race.
    - People apparently don't own GameCube's.
    - The Xbox 360 controller is the perfect controller for every genre.
    - The Revolution controller is not going to be the best for FPS, and whatever it can do the Xbox 360 can do as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty brutal.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, double post.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

"Games are about the best graphics" has been proven wrong again-and-again:
    atari = weakest graphics - best seller
    nes = weakest graphics - best seller
    stock snes (no coprocessors) = weakest graphics - best seller
    ps1 = weakest graphics - best seller
    ps2 = weakest graphics - best seller

Portables:
    gameboy = weakest graphics - best seller
    DS = weakest graphics - best seller

I like when the guy says, "Seriously no one owns a gamecube - who owns one?" And everybody raises their hands!

Nintendowned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    People who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who make weak generalizations are condemned to look foolish on message boards!

Genesis = best seller, best graphics for the price from '89-'91, and a strong seller for many years afterward.

Oh hey, I've been gone a while.

My take on this is that it...well...seems to hold some water, but asking why the NDS beats the PSP if graphics are key, and then going on to say that the Revolution will be "another" gimmick console...that doesn't quite make sense to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think its the culmination of all the advertizeing done today and all the advertizing that was done in the past

thats what i think microsoft was doing with the xbox - shoveing it in your face untill the recognition is the same or better than the competition

i think better graphics does sell - so does advertizeing and name recognition. No one individual system has all the best games they all have crap, gems, and blockbusters. I think it all comes down to advertizeing and historical events.

yes a system wont sell only based on advertizeing if it has nothing but crap - but a system like that will never exist

right now the industry has a good idea why things are selling and they also are stumped as to why things don't

one of these days the video game industry market will probbaly become a huge part in some graduate study that will revolutionize a part of buisness. Some fancy formula will come out of all this bickering.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Watch the actual video, that cheap animated gif is just a joke.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Those who make weak generalizations are condemned to look foolish on message boards!
    Ouch. Foolish? Ouch. It's the final tally that matters and by January 1996 SNES had firmly won the 16-bit war. It held 65% of the market.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm not chiming in to bash the Revolution. I'm just as curious about it as anybody else. I do wonder how much 3rd party support it can expect if the controller is way out there, but then I could see Nintendo offering support for more than one controller type so customers could play conventional games as well as ones it envisions.

As much as I hate the title "graphics whore", I freely admit that IF I am given a choice of having a better looking game, no matter which system provides it, I will always choose the better looking, smoother running version. Games are REALLY about gameplay, true, but better graphics for the same game get's my money every time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ouch. Foolish? Ouch. It's the final tally that matters and by January 1996 SNES had firmly won the 16-bit war. It held 65% of the market.
    It's all about the gameplay. Yes, there's a long history of weak consoles dominating, but you can thank stupid/immoral/illegal business decisions for the dominance of the various pre-PlayStation systems on that list I'm not so clueless as to say that the poster intended to make the link that weaker graphics = better sales, but y'know...it sure was set up that way.

And again, "stock SNES = weakest graphics" is definitely NOT true. Talk about skewing the data...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

at this time i was playing wipeout and twisted metal on Playstation and had long forgotten about my SNES. thought it gets more play these days than in Jan. 1996.

Anyways it doesn't matter how powerful, how good the graphics are, how many tasks it can handle, what media type it uses, if it can stand sideways, if it can cook your food and keep your drink cold, bla bla bla, yada yada yada.

What matters is software support - i.e. games!

Through recent video game history say since 1985 the consoles with software support are the ones that are successful.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't the stock Genesis more powerful than a stock Super nintendo?

No not saying weakest graphics = best seller. Only that it's not the deciding factor when customers decide. Any "expert" such as the guy at that conference should know that.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    I'm not chiming in to bash the Revolution. I'm just as curious about it as anybody else. I do wonder how much 3rd party support it can expect if the controller is way out there, but then I could see Nintendo offering support for more than one controller type so customers could play conventional games as well as ones it envisions.
    Expect about the same amount of third party support for it as the GameCube has now at the start. In other words, hardly anything until Nintendo either proves that the idea is workable or until completely everyone decides it isn't catching on. It'll only swing one way or the other, I think.

It's all about the gameplay. Yes, there's a long history of weak consoles dominating, but you can thank stupid/immoral/illegal business decisions for the dominance of the various pre-PlayStation systems on that list I'm not so clueless as to say that the poster intended to make the link that weaker graphics = better sales, but y'know...it sure was set up that way.
    The Atari 2600 didn't dominate because of stupid, immoral or illegal business decisions. I think it could be argued that the 2600 dominated in spite of stupid business decisions. The NES dominated because of those decisions... but only after the NES had become the solid number 1. Had Nintendo not sold gobs and gobs of consoles first, they would've never been in the position to do what they did. And the Genesis still rose up in spite of the practices Nintendo had in place in the late '80's.

Technically, the SNES didn't "win" its generation, as it was a pretty even split between it and the Geni. In fact, I've heard that the total numbers of both consoles are within 100,000 of each other. The SNES seems as if it has won because a lot of its games have aged better, as it had a lot of its hits at the end when it was gaining ground, while the Geni had them earlier.

But as for current consoles, the PSX dominated, even though it wasn't the prettiest for the majority of its lifespan. The PS2 has dominated even though it was nearly equalled by the Dreamcast before it and vastly surpassed by the consoles after it.

Marketing and great games... well, specifically "Games people want to play" are what spells success for a console.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, that guy's a tool.

People from the PC end of things just don't understand how the console market works, it's not even remotely as graphics and hardware-driven as the PC market.

He needs to go back to making Unreal Tournament games (which are admittedly fantastic), and leave the console gaming to people who know what the hell they are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Wow, what can I say?? Those guys from IGN *really* impressed me. I just wanted to shoot those industry guys in the face though. The whole thing was basically.. graphics are the *only thing*.. blah blah... Xbox 360 is God.. blah blah Nintendo sucks.. you will hate the Revolution. BLAH.

But the best part was at the end when the dude from IGN on the right was talking about what HE was looking forward to in the next-gen - mainly the Revolution and online Smash Brothers, which the crowd firmly backed him on. Then he looked at the industry guy (Mark??) and said you should try the Revolution controller - it's great.

But seriously that Mark dude was a total geek. He had a 360 dev kit in his bag that he whipped out just to show off. You're cool dude....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    The Atari 2600 didn't dominate because of stupid, immoral or illegal business decisions. I think it could be argued that the 2600 dominated in spite of stupid business decisions.
    Well, okay, you can break it down: The VCS got the market first; it had many of the key (not "best") franchses (Pac-Man vs K.C. Munchkin, you know), and yes, I still say stupid business decisions - obviously not Atari's, but rather those of their competitors. Just read a company history...nobody had any funding, and tons of great systems went down the tubes because everybody was fixated on the VCS. :P

The NES dominated because of those decisions... but only after the NES had become the solid number 1. Had Nintendo not sold gobs and gobs of consoles first, they would've never been in the position to do what they did.
    Sure, first to market helps. Oh, wait, there were those other consoles, like the Casio PV-2000...if I had to make a point and stand by it (God forbid!), I'd say that many factors trump graphics - and that business decisions, good and bad, are more important. In *my* zeal to show what a silly statement was made here, I made some oversimplifications myself. Ah, good times.

And the Genesis still rose up in spite of the practices Nintendo had in place in the late '80's.
    Tell that to Namco, who ended up returning to Nintendo with their collective tails tucked between their legs.

The SNES seems as if it has won because a lot of its games have aged better, as it had a lot of its hits at the end when it was gaining ground, while the Geni had them earlier.
    Oh please. I don't agree with that at all. The best Genesis hits have aged just as well - take Thunder Force IV, Comix Zone, Contra: The Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy, Phantasy Star IV...and I do believe most all of these games were made in the '94-'95 era. Let's face it, many of the early Genesis games (Altered Beast, E-Swat; the Capcom ports considered "best" by most people such as Ghosts 'n Goblins) and were pretty lousy in comparision to these later titles, especially in terms of length of play, replayability and, dare I say it, graphically.

But as for current consoles, the PSX dominated, even though it wasn't the prettiest for the majority of its lifespan.
    I think it's meaningless to point out that a console with as much momentum as the PSX had wasn't the most powerful for "much of its lifespan." It got to market first, and indeed it was the most powerful in many ways. Better than the Saturn in some areas - FMV was often better - and it had a CD-ROM drive which the N64 lacked (though I count that as a blessing of sorts...)

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    - The Revolution controller is not going to be the best for FPS
    WTF? Sure, it might be harder to CODE for, but in the end, the Revolution controller makes for a more realistic FPS. I mean, shooting a gun does not feel like moving a mouse up and down or twirling an analog stick around. It feels like taking aim and pulling a trigger. And what does the Revolution controller allow you to do? In all likelihood, the "nunchuck" setup will be the BEST FPS control out of all the Big Three consoles slated for release.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector
    Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    - The Revolution controller is not going to be the best for FPS
    WTF? Sure, it might be harder to CODE for, but in the end, the Revolution controller makes for a more realistic FPS. I mean, shooting a gun does not feel like moving a mouse up and down or twirling an analog stick around.
    Walking around with a gun in your hands doesn't feel like rotating your wrists and pointing a remote at a TV, either...