Thread: camerica carts

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default camerica carts

sorry for such a noob question, but searching (here and google) returend no results.

what is the connection on the back of Camerica carts? I noticed it on the back of my micromachines cart, and always wondered what it is. what is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd like to know too.....
    always thought that was kinda weird, but never bothered asking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im also curious about that!
    Any ideas?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

camerica games were unlicenced games, so nintendo slightly modified the nes to prevent certain unlincenced games from working, the switch on the back of cam. carts was just a way for cam to make them a bit more compatable.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: camerica carts

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SE-R
    sorry for such a noob question, but searching (here and google) returend no results.

what is the connection on the back of Camerica carts? I noticed it on the back of my micromachines cart, and always wondered what it is. what is it?
    After the NES was released, unlicensed companies cracked the code and started making their own games (as many of you know).

SO, Nintendo wasn't too happy so they changed around the inners of the NES systems just slightly so that *most* unlicensed games wouldn't work. Camerica (being the smartest IMHO of unlicensed companies) put some sort of switch/chip in their carts to allow play on both types of NES systems. If you had an older NES and the camerica cart didn't work, you would switch it to the next setting, and vice versa.

I just know that to be the jist of it, but i don't know all the technological stuff to it (ask TRE or portnoyd as they would surely know).

I, myself have never experienced a problem with camerica carts on any NES system.. Has anyone else?

-Josh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster

After the NES was released, unlicensed companies cracked the code and started making their own games (as many of you know).

SO, Nintendo wasn't too happy so they changed around the inners of the NES systems just slightly so that *most* unlicensed games wouldn't work. Camerica (being the smartest IMHO of unlicensed companies) put some sort of switch/chip in their carts to allow play on both types of NES systems. If you had an older NES and the camerica cart didn't work, you would switch it to the next setting, and vice versa.

I just know that to be the jist of it, but i don't know all the technological stuff to it (ask TRE or portnoyd as they would surely know).

I, myself have never experienced a problem with camerica carts on any NES system.. Has anyone else?

-Josh
    Yes, I've got a NES toaster that won't play a Camerica game no matter what, I'm assuming it has the lockout chip in it, I have never disasembled one to look. It also gives Color Dreams a problem at times. Tengen it seems fine with. My other NES toaster plays everything.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter421

-Josh
    Yes, I've got a NES toaster that won't play a Camerica game no matter what, I'm assuming it has the lockout chip in it, I have never disasembled one to look. It also gives Color Dreams a problem at times. Tengen it seems fine with. My other NES toaster plays everything.

I have one Nintendo that plays the Color Dreams, but not the Camericas. Another that plays Camericas, but not Color Dreams. And I have yet another that wont play either of them. Cant tell the difference between the systems from the outside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Camerica (being the smartest IMHO of unlicensed companies)
    Naa, Tengen did them one better, got Nintendo to give them a lockout chip and reverse-engineered it to make their own "Rabbit" chip. Sure they got sued over it, but still - that's why Tengen carts work like normal carts, they have basically the same chip.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgotthemall
    I have one Nintendo that plays the Color Dreams, but not the Camericas. Another that plays Camericas, but not Color Dreams. And I have yet another that wont play either of them. Cant tell the difference between the systems from the outside.
    I know one of the companies (AVE I think) sent out a little deal showing where a trace could be cut and a resistor installed or something that would override the modification done to the later NES revisions. On the other hand an NES top loader will play ALL the unlicensed carts problem free. (the only reason I had one)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mine doesn't have a switch but rather a piece of the board sticking out in a little alcove. is that where the switch was installed? did someone remove it from the cart? It doesn't look like anything was removed really, it just looks like mfg screwed up the cart shell and some little 1/2"X1/2" piece of printed circuit board is sticking out with about four contacts.
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

mine doesn't have a switch but rather a piece of the board sticking out in a little alcove. is that where the switch was installed? did someone remove it from the cart? It doesn't look like anything was removed really, it just looks like mfg screwed up the cart shell and some little 1/2"X1/2" piece of printed circuit board is sticking out with about four contacts.
    Here's what the switch looks like...

The switch probably broke out of your cart, I've seen it before as they are pretty small. Figure someone couldn't get it to work and accidentally broke the switch off in frustration.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know what he is talking about. I have one like that. My micro machines i believe. it has a normal warning label on the back too, instead of the label that tells you "if this dosen't work on position a, switch to yada yada yada." The little board that juts out also has about five little connectors on it. it looks like it was made to plug into something.

And someone asked if anyone ever has problems getting any of these games to work, i kinda do. My micro machines cart works fine, just everytime i play it, there is this weird white line that goes across the middle of the screen. kinda annoying.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, mine doesn't have any broken off sloder points, its just a five or four contact part of a printed board. works fine on my toploader. I've never tried it on my toaster, and it will be one of the first i test on my NEX, which will come sometime in NOV?

Thanks for the pic and explainations

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some Sachen games also have a switch like this which says OLD, NEW and Adaptor. They also have a 10pin connector. Dont know what you can connect to it.