Thread: WTB/WTTF: Nintendo DS kiosk demo carts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTB/WTTF: Nintendo DS kiosk demo carts

Looking to get all the Nintendo DS kiosk demo carts. If anyone has one, let me know how much you want for it, or if you want to trade...I have a ton of stuff I could possibly trade so just let me know what your looking for and I'll dig around.

And if anyone has a list of the US kiosk demo carts, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good luck with this... probably won't happen for you. i've long since given up on doing the same thing since i know the story behind them, but i applaud you for trying. here's the full list of US demos, which i'm pretty sure is complete.

super mario 64 ds
    feel the magic: xy/xx
    wario ware: touched!
    yoshi: touch & go
    pac-pix
    polarium
    meteos
    kirby: canvas curse
    advance wars: dual strike
    nintendogs (playable)
    nintendogs (bark mode)
    metroid prime pinball

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be happy just to get a mario 64, oh and there's Zelda TTP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the zelda trailer wasn't a KIOSK demo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DocRamon
    good luck with this... probably won't happen for you. i've long since given up on doing the same thing since i know the story behind them, but i applaud you for trying. here's the full list of US demos, which i'm pretty sure is complete.

super mario 64 ds
    feel the magic: xy/xx
    wario ware: touched!
    yoshi: touch & go
    pac-pix
    polarium
    meteos
    kirby: canvas curse
    advance wars: dual strike
    nintendogs (playable)
    nintendogs (bark mode)
    metroid prime pinball
    Thanks for the list

I figured it was a long shot, but the post can't hurt.

I haven't seen these anywhere...there used to be a few on Ebay after the DS came out, but now theres nothing. I also heard that Nintendo is being ultra strict about getting them back...which could be why they aren't popping up. Though I would like to hear the story you know behind these.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Story behind them?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no it wasn't, but neither was the wario touched

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chronodriftersx
    no it wasn't, but neither was the wario touched
    yah it was...

you might be thinking about the european vip pak version... but there's also a US retail kiosk demo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh... and the story behind them, from 2 separate nintendo reps...

typically, when new demo kiosks are released, the individual retailers purchase the actual kiosks for their stores in order to attract attention and garner sales. they (the stores) are given all the equipment including keys and the maintenance stuff. the demo discs then also belong to the retailers, so when they are replaced, the old ones aren't required to be sent back to nintendo. some nintendo reps will just pocket them for themselves, but many times the managers of the stores (or employees, or customers) either toss them or keep them. that's why so many gamecube demos are out in the wild.

well nintendo got wind of this 'demo abuse' and decided to break formula with the DS kiosk (and will likely do the same for future kiosks). instead of making the retailers purchase the demo units, nintendo owns them all, and has just made agreements with the stores to display them at no charge. in fact, most retailers do not have the keys that open up the DS kiosk, or any of the spare parts to replace broken kiosks. that's why you see them damaged so often, cause all repairs must be done when the rep comes back to visit.

it also means that the demos do not belong to the stores anymore. they are actually nintendo's property, and so the nintendo reps are warned that failure to return DS demos may result in their termination of employment. since there aren't many nintendo reps out there willing to lose their job over these things, they've become much harder to obtain.

given the rarity of these demos, however, demand has not been very high. only two have shown up on ebay, both for nintendogs. the first sold for $134 and the second sold for only $74 after not selling on here for $110. (i was actually going to pick it up from the guy, but ran into circumstances that prevented me from doing so, and i regret it now.) i think demand is low because people realize that a complete DS collection is next to impossible. and really, why spend that much on one demo when you can't get the full set of them? seems ridiculous... to most people.

there is hope though. many of the european demo kiosks actually use american demo cards, because of production costs and timing issues. and apparently they're not as strick over there, cause several of those have gotten out. so you're best bet at finding US demos is actually checking various european ebay sites (germany and england tend to be the best).

hope that helps a little bit... at least lets you know some of the history behind these demos, why they're so hard to get, and what you might have to do if you're seriously wanting to get into it... if you need any other info, ask away... as a bigtime DS collector, clearly i've done my homework.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks again for the info Doc

Wow, thats crazy. I'm certainly not prepared to spend anywhere close to that for these demos. I really assumed they would be along the same lines as the cube ones...though even some of those are starting to become more than I'm willing to spend. I guess I'll just forget about them...if I happen to come across any at a good price I'll pick them up, but with what your saying, I'm certainly not going to go out of my way for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have some buddies who work at a target. They told me that if one of their demo's come's up missing, nintendo will stop allowing them to sell their games in their store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS Demos

What is a 'good price' for these things?

Some have different code, which can range from warning screens to limited play times/content. These I consider to be worth a bit more. Ex. Both Nintendogs Demo and the Nintendogs Relay cart fit into this category as of the more desirable ilk given that they are quite different from the released versions.

Some are same as released with NFR on the label, and some are same as released with same label but a Nintendo barcode on the back. These I consider to be worth maybe a 50% premium over the full original retail price (ie. $40-$70)

I've been gobbling up a bunch of these (have almost a complete set- need to check my inventory), and I'm wondering what you guys consider the prices worth?

Drex, I'll direct my source to you if he has additional opportunities to get duplicate demos or stuff I don't want. PM me your email addy, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: DS Demos

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid

Some have different code, which can range from warning screens to limited play times/content. These I consider to be worth a bit more. Ex. Both Nintendogs Demo and the Nintendogs Relay cart fit into this category as of the more desirable ilk given that they are quite different from the released versions.

Some are same as released with NFR on the label, and some are same as released with same label but a Nintendo barcode on the back. These I consider to be worth maybe a 50% premium over the full original retail price (ie. $40-$70)

I've been gobbling up a bunch of these (have almost a complete set- need to check my inventory), and I'm wondering what you guys consider the prices worth?

Drex, I'll direct my source to you if he has additional opportunities to get duplicate demos or stuff I don't want. PM me your email addy, please.
    Thanks Ian, but if those prices are what I would have to pay then I'll pass.

I was really under the impression that these would run about the same as the Cube demos...anywhere between $15-30. But now that I know they will be harder to come by, I can understand the increase in price. It's not worth it to me to spend more on these demos...I'd much rather put the money towards games I need. I do wonder if these will surface in the future...Nintendo always has that employee yard sale and I could see them selling them there (hopefully )

So, since it looks like I won't be able to find what I'm looking for, for the prices I want to pay (at least at the moment), feel free to lock this thread.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: DS Demos

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid

hard to say a good price, since only 2 have gone to "mass market" (ie. ebay) and the others that have gotten out were all side deals made between customers and suppliers. average those 2 selling prices together and say... $100 per demo card?

i didn't know about multiple versions of demos with different product codes. i've never seen any different versions like that before, everytime i've seen a demo card it's always looked the same, what you described with the sticker on the back and the barcode. ianoid, i'd definitely like to know more about this, if you could enlighten me. in case this thread gets locked, just PM me or something.

and ianoid, if drex is going to pass, i'd gladly take you up on your offer to get a 'connection' and hopefully some demos for the $40-$70 range. PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I have a nintendogs "download/relay version" kisok card. On the back is a sticker "not for resale- demo gpk only. property of nintendo" then there's a line for the store number.

I have no idea what it's worth, but I'm not really partial to the game. If anyone is interested, you can PM me with offers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

well nintendo got wind of this 'demo abuse' and decided to break formula with the DS kiosk.
    You'd think that with this evidence that a market for game demos exist, they would actually release official demos for purchase in stores.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29