Thread: Website madness...and the PSX logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Website madness...and the PSX logo.

First off, I'd like to note that a PS2 release of a game is almost always accompanied by the original PSX logo in addition to the PS2 logo. What gives? It's not as if Resident Evil 4 is coming to the original system!

That said, it seems to me that Capcom's RE4 site hasn't been updated since the GC version, or maybe it has. I honestly can't tell except to note that the Enemies section is really, really lousy (they may have added a few entries; I don't remember these extra selections). The Chief is misnamed, and our apostrophe-happy US web team decided to slap an 's after "Novistador" ...when anybody who's played the game knows full well it's "Los Novistadores" ! Criminally slow transitions and a really annoying creak sound played over and over...you can view this monstrosity here,, of course.

Tecmo's site is a bit interesting. I had followed a link to the site via an article about an ancient poll on alternate versions of Ninja Gaiden, from 2000! Needless to say I was astounded that the poll is not there any longer, but what *is* there is an interesting soda machine.

Note: You can smack the soda machine! Mouse over to the left, and bring the cursor back onto the soda machine (onto the Ninja Gaiden Black logo) and it'll move over. Amusingly enough, you can keep doing this until the machine (and the whole image including the Fiend in the background) are completely off the page. View that here.

As much as I like that RE4 page (the creak grows on you after a while), it's no match for the offiical Castlevania page, which sports some pretty nifty design. This one's changed dramatically since the first version came out at least some months ago, and none of the various versions have been that bad, in truth...on the bad side, Konami's message board is predictibly awful, but that's always true, isn't it? Find it all here... Sadly, I don't know any nifty tricks for this one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Website madness...and the PSX logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    First off, I'd like to note that a PS2 release of a game is almost always accompanied by the original PSX logo in addition to the PS2 logo. What gives? It's not as if Resident Evil 4 is coming to the original system!
    I think its because Playstation is its own company and thats the companies logo. PSX just happens to use it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    I think its because Playstation is its own company and thats the companies logo. PSX just happens to use it too.
    This is news to me...

Good sir, can you tell me where I might inquire to obtain shares of this "Playstation company's" stock?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's the branding. Where Nintendo used to have both it's company name as said name AND Product name, Sony opted for the more direct approach.

It's interesting too, because it works. Walk into any game specific store, and hang back within ear shot of the register. At least in my area, 50%+ of the time when you ask someone what system they need a game for (for example, SOul Calibur II), they almost always just say, "PlayStation". Not "PS2, PlayStation 2, etc.," just "PlayStation".

The same will most likely happen when PS3 comes out. No matter what the name on the box, if the consumer sees the white box with the colorful logo, it's all good.

It's also the most evil of marketing gimmicks. Check out ads for TV and Print. Sony requires that both the PS2 Logo AND the 'PlayStation' logo appear (thus out-numbering the other systems), and requires companies to include the entire corporate name of the deck (Available for XBox and PlayStation 2 Computer Entertainment Console)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Yeah, it appears twice on PSP games and on the PSP system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Where Nintendo used to have both it's company name as said name AND Product name, Sony opted for the more direct approach.
    Perhaps Sony's just reaping the benefits of having a backwards-compatible system. The question, though, is whether Nintendo would feature the GameCube logo on Revolution games. I dare say the answer is going to be a resounding no, because they don't want people complaining they were misled. Funny how we have that double standard. The only major difference between the two systems' approach will be that the Nintendo consoles are recieiving a name change, while Sony will continue along with the PlayStation name.

What's infuriating, as you say, is that the regular PSX logo really has no business being there. You can't play a PS2 game on the PSX, and yet they use the logo.

Sony...requires companies to include the entire corporate name of the deck (Available for XBox and PlayStation 2 Computer Entertainment Console)
    Hadn't noticed that.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony's just trying to present all its video game products under a separtate brand name. The red green yellow and blue 3D ish "PS" logo appears on all their game stuff, it's not console specific. While usually associated with the PS1 since its the first thing you see when you look at the console, its also on the PS2's drive tray, and the PS3's. It's even on the PSP, but is just gray.

Nintendo can get away with sticking their company name on all their stuff because they only make games; when people hear "Nintendo" they think "video games." But when people hear "Sony" they think "TVs and computers and DVD players and audio equipment" etc. Sony knows this and made the Playstation brand name so when people hear "Playstation" they think "video games". Steven Kent said in a guest article for Game Informer, "I do not believe anyone loves Sony, though I think there are millions of people who love their Playstations."

I expect Microsoft to do basically the same thing with the Xbox name, since, obviously, when people hear "Microsoft", they think "Windows, Office, oh God no Bill Gates don't take over the world oh Sweet Jesus noooooooo!".... But when they hear "Xbox" they think.... ok well I'm sure you get the idea by now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts
    Sony's just trying to present all its video game products under a separtate brand name.
    Yes, but consider this: It appears in the section of a game ad where the various console ports are advertised. You'll see the Xbox logo, the GameCube logo, and two PlayStation logos, even though it's not going to be released on the original PSX.

Nintendo can get away with sticking their company name on all their stuff because they only make games
    What does that have to do with anything? Of course they can put their company name on their stuff, but it's not as if they've put a Nintendo Entertainment System logo on their GameCube releases (NES Classic Series is besides the point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok well I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the 3D ish "PS" symbol is NOT the PS1 logo, its Sony's Playstation brand logo. I guess technically the original playstation's logo is the word "PlayStation" in that wierd font. It could be that Sony originally tagged the 3D PS logo to the original PlayStation since it was the only video game product they had, but it seems they want to disassociate it away from the PS1 specifically so it can encompass all their video game stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts
    Ok well I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the 3D ish "PS" symbol is NOT the PS1 logo, its Sony's Playstation brand logo.
    No, really?!

Of course, but since it was originally used as the logo for the PSX, it's pretty dishonest of them to squeeze it in there when other companies don't reuse logos that just happen to be the logos for their previous systems

Well, I'll bet that Microsoft won't be using the original Xbox logo on ads along with the Xbox 360 logo. Choose one and stick with it...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really do think that is it. The PSX logo is the "Playstation brand logo" and the PS2 logo is the "Playstation 2 computer entertainment system" (or whatever) logo. When the PS3 launches, you'll see the PS3 logo and the PSX logo on stuff.

And I do believe that the real reason it is there is so that they have twice the consoles as other people.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    It's also the most evil of marketing gimmicks. Check out ads for TV and Print. Sony requires that both the PS2 Logo AND the 'PlayStation' logo appear (thus out-numbering the other systems), and requires companies to include the entire corporate name of the deck (Available for XBox and PlayStation 2 Computer Entertainment Console)
    Well in commercials like for GTA series, the only say the Playstation 2.
    The other part of your post does make sense. But most of those games have sad remakes for the psx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I really do think that is it. The PSX logo is the "Playstation brand logo"
    Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. It's still just an odious tactic, and retailers should complain.

And I do believe that the real reason it is there is so that they have twice the consoles as other people.