Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete VS. Loose collecting.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Complete VS. Loose collecting.

What's the consensus here? I mean, most games that are to be found complete range from a couple dollars (if you are lucky enough to find them in Goodwill or Salvation army) to fifty or even one-hundred dollars. At that rate, completing an entire SNES collection for example, could cost you A LOT of cash.

Loose games, however, are much easier to find although somewhat less desireable.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Someone will screech soon about you not doing a search on a topic that's been done before, but I personally like new topic threads on older subjects.

I collect loose for SNES and NES and Gameboy. That's IT. Everything else must be complete. All CD games must be complete. All N64 must be complete. All NGPC must be complete. TG-16 must have at least the CD case. If it didn't come with one, I'll MAKE one.

That's just me! Depends on the console!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i prefer complete over loose, but to varying degrees

current gen stuff and dreamcast games must be complete

games with collectable boxes (Genesis, Master System, Intellivision, Neo Geo Pocket) I prefer boxes and will pay for a complete copy if i only have a loose game

games with crappy paper boxes (Atari, Coleco, NES, SNES, Gameboy) I collapse boxes and store them separately. I don't have the cash or space to collect complete copies

the exact middle ground is playstation 1. i really dont consider myself a collector of the system, so i dont mind loose games if the price is right. my collection is about 60/40 complete/loose.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everything that is disc-based that I collect has to be complete. Cartridge-based games, while I snatch them up whenever I can find complete ones, I collect incomplete.

DS games have to be complete though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complete for me. I just can't stand it if there's something missing. It feels so empty.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CD-based games must be complete, for me. Loose Saturn games are a crying shame.
    My entire SNES collection is loose, though, as is a lot of my Genesis collection. . I never had much luck finding boxed games.
    I prefer boxes, but I take what I can get, you know? I am not exactly loaded. :P
    Xbox Live Gamertag: johnthehero

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really prefer complete items and in near mint/mint condition. I don't buy a game that isn't in that condition. Only if it's rare and it's cheap.
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enixis
    Complete for me. I just can't stand it if there's something missing. It feels so empty.
    I know what you mean but it's hard. Most of the time, if you find a nice HTF game (NES/SNES/Genesis) in Gamecrazy or a used game store, 90% of the time it is loose. I think gamecrazy actually thows out the old boxes and manuals.. So what are we left with? Ebay? Ebay is like frickin' Mos Eisley sometimes..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's a cartridge game, i collect cart only. If i can buy it complete for just a little extra, then i will. But anything esle, i prefer to be complete.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prismra
    Quote Originally Posted by Enixis
    I know what you mean but it's hard. Most of the time, if you find a nice HTF game (NES/SNES/Genesis) in Gamecrazy or a used game store, 90% of the time it is loose. I think gamecrazy actually thows out the old boxes and manuals.. So what are we left with? Ebay? Ebay is like frickin' Mos Eisley sometimes..

I agree man, loose games stink, but for the most part, we can thank eb/gamestops and gamecrazies for having the "ehhh well take anything" policy. Although in their defense most stores have limited storage space so having a ton of boxes laying around as opposed to loose carts, well the later is more friendly on storage. But for me loose CD titles is a crying shame, like someone else here said, loose saturn games, to quote Peter Griffin: that really GRINDS MY GEARS!!".... lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Most of my collection is loose, but more and more is becoming complete, I've been buying boxes and manuals for the games I already have and looking for boxes games on eBay instead of just carts. To me it really doesn't matter if I have them complete or loose, I will take whatever I can get.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had an unlimited income and time, I might go for complete on everything but just having the actual cart is cool enough for me in general. If it's a really special game for me then I try to find it complete. I have Chrono Trigger with the box and manual but no posters/ads etc. (anyone want to help me with this one?) ; )

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had an unlimited income and time, I might go for complete on everything but just having the actual cart is cool enough for me in general. If it's a really special game for me then I try to find it complete. I have Chrono Trigger with the box and manual but no posters/ads etc. (anyone want to help me with this one?) ; )

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it is a Cartidge: Loose is what I aim for but I'll take the box anyday.
    If it is a CD: It must ATLEAST have the case, if it doesn't have the manual I will put that on my buy list

Strawberry (Level 2) [-Sentinel-]'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 combo hits!
    lol

If I can't buy a game complete, then I just save money for it. :P
    I hate loose games, lol!
    PSN ID: rodolfocm
    3DS FC: 1375-7284-4033

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect complete games, but I've never turned down a loose cart because there was no box.
    My Genny collection is about 50/50. Maybe it's the ugly plain labels and lack of a top label, but I won't even look at a loose SMS cart. Collection is 100% boxed.

As for discs, I hate loose, mostly because they usually are scratched beyond belief.
    I have a few loose discs, but only because they came in larger ebay lots or something similar.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    I collect complete games, but I've never turned down a loose cart because there was no box.
    My Genny collection is about 50/50. Maybe it's the ugly plain labels and lack of a top label, but I won't even look at a loose SMS cart. Collection is 100% boxed.

As for discs, I hate loose, mostly because they usually are scratched beyond belief.
    I have a few loose discs, but only because they came in larger ebay lots or something similar.
    I agree with CDs. I would never buy them loose. I guess I was just talking about carts. One thing I do mind, however, are 'Greatest Hits' versions of SNES games.

Although I LIKE the 'Not for Resale' Genesis games.

Go figure...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This brings up a question:

Does anyone know of any sites that sell replacement manuals, covers and (possibly) boxes of (catridged based) games?

There are some games that i'm interested in at my local store but they're missing some of these items. I don't mind getting them as long as i know i can get replacements online.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prismra
    I agree. Buying complete games are just not worth it IMO. So what, you've got the box and the manual. The manual for a game is usually useless unless it's an RPG. For example, for a side scroller it'll probably tell you how to shoot, duck, etc. You'll probably read it once and then put it back on the shelf to collect dust for 20 years. And if the manual is useful, chances are you can find a FAQ online that not only has the same info the manual has, but a lot more. For me the games are the important thing, thats the thing you're playing. You're not taking that hour or two out of the day to stare at the box and the manual now are you?

Again, this is my opinion. I don't want any completionists out there jumping down my throat for this. I respect those who go through hell to have a complete collection, but it's just not my thing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the system for me. If it's a disc game, completeness is a must. The only carts I try to get complete are the ones that come in non-crappy-cardboard cases (which pretty much just leaves the Genesis and DS).