Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Trackball Questions

Ok, so I have consulted many times with Sir Stonic, and I decided to reach out before I buy two $90 replacements trackballs.

I have a Blades of Steel machine. Works great, less filling, etc etc, except an issue with the trackballs. Whenever I try and move my guy, it's like a damn workout. I have to spin the thing like crazy to get the guy to move, and it's very, very difficult to keep up with the computer.

What could be wrong? Is this how the game is? On Scott's advice, I soaked the bearing in 3-in-1 oil for a few days. No improvement. I couldn't get the bearings attached to the spinners off, I can't get enough torque or something to remove the tiny screws. The poles aren't worn. I have the manual, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get into the test settings. The spinner spins when you roll the ball, but it stops the second the trackball stops moving. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Could it be the opta boards? Bad control connections?

Ask any more questions. Scott directed me to some new parts, but either way, it's at least $80 I'd like to avoid spending if possible.

dave

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Trackball Questions

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Ok, so I have consulted many times with Sir Stonic, and I decided to reach out before I buy two $90 replacements trackballs.
    Waste of time - Stonic is THE Man.

The spinner spins when you roll the ball, but it stops the second the trackball stops moving. Is that the way it's supposed to be?
    Don't think so. In all fairness though, it's been a LONG time since I've played the coin op.

Could it be the opta boards? Bad control connections?
    It could be, but based on the sudden halting of the rollers and ball, it sounds like the bearings are totally shot. When you roll the ball, the rollers should spin freely, and the ball should continue to roll when you stop rolling it. It won't roll forever, but it should roll for a bit at least. If it's not doing that, I'd replace the bearings.

The strange thing is that there's no wear on the rollers. It could be that the machine wasn't played much and the bearings just froze up over time.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Yeah, I looked at the poles and they are indeed worn. $40 to repair? Sounds good to me!

Thanks for the help, sirs. *salute*