View Poll Results: What system is the most unreliable?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • NES

49 40.83%
  • SMS

0 0%
  • Atari 2600

0 0%
  • SNES

0 0%
  • N64

1 0.83%
  • PS2

43 35.83%
  • GameCube

0 0%
  • XBox

5 4.17%
  • Genesis

4 3.33%
  • Saturn

0 0%
  • 3DO

1 0.83%
  • NEO-GEO

0 0%
  • Dreamcast

5 4.17%
  • Other (Specify Below)

12 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the most unreliable system?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is the most unreliable system?

With all the talk about how bad the PS2 is, I was wondering what people think the most unreliable system is? For me it would have to be the NES, that thing was always a pain with getting games to work. I always had to blow in them and fiddle with them every time! :/

Apologies if this topic has been asked before, I tried to do a search but it seems like you can only search by author at the moment, which probably wouldn't work out too well!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked the Genesis. I had 3 that broken on me in the past. I started getting paranoid whenever I decided to get a new one. Horrible.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't voted yet and am not sure I will. I've also heard many tales of the PS2 (including the dreaded Cannot Read Disc errors) but have never had any trouble with mine. I haven't had too much trouble with any of my systems though I did have to have a Jaguar worked on once and my very first PS1 eventually gave out. It, of course, had the overheating problem due to poor ventilation design that caused many people (including me) to put it on it's side or even upside down to get around that flaw.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

As much as i'd love to say the PS2 i'm actually gonna be honest and say the NES.

As bad as the PS2 DREs are, they're nothing in comparision to the number of blinking NES consoles out there. Hell sticking a cartrage in and getting a blinky screen even feels a bit Nostalgic.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used three playstation, and the all broke down. I had one PS2 and it broke down in 1 and a half year twice. I voted just other as I heard most bad stories about the first Playstation. Problems of the NES are also common but that is much more an age question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

NES. Great games, poor design. I've got five or six toasters in the garage and one hooked up barely limping along all as testament to this.

Blink Blink Blink Blink ...

Ironically, the three famicom bootleg consoles I've got have never given me a day of trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Original Playstation! I've had three or the original models stop working on me (or at leats have to be turned upside down to work.)

I finally had a Saturn go bad on me, but it was a 1st generation model, several owners, lots of abuse including several drops to the floor. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!

My CDX cd drive is kaput. I understand this is faorly common.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All my consoles have never broken down on me. But for me the NES is probably the most unrealiable in terms of getting games to work, especially after years of non-use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

PS2 by far. My old NES loads better than it more than half the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nes by a long shot. I went through 3 Decks as a kid ( and had 2 sent back to nintendo), up until I got a top loader. After the top loader I never had to buy another one. As for my PS2, I have a launch day machine and have never got a DRE. So my choice was easy, I feel bad for the guys that had the DRE PS2 AND the blinking NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I had to go with the NES. Gives me trouble some of the time, but usually I can get it working after one or two tries.

Another option I was thinking about was my Xbox. When I will rent certain games it has to be almost perfect or otherwise it wont read it. Sometimes I would have to eject it and put it back in a few times and it would finally work, or I would just turn the Xbox off and on. With all the games I own, I never have problems with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem I have with putting the NES on top is that these machines we are all talking about have been around for almost 20 years. Even with blinking issues, most NES systems still work or can be repaired easily. Brave Little Toaster indeed. I don't see us saying the same about the PS2 in 20 years.

Yes, it is disc-based, which lowers life expectancy out of the gate, but my first PS2 only lasted a little over a year before crapping out. I must also note that I am EXTREMELY anal about my systems and store them in a well ventilated area. Even if this weren't from personal experience, most of my friends have had to replace theirs so I would feel the same. My new PS2 is now only used to PSX & PS2 games. NOTHING ELSE.

PS2 all the way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess i've been lucky with my PS2. I've heard all of the stories, but even all of my friends who still have PS2's from the first year still work. Even my first year Xbox has never had any problems. It was that NES that drove me crazy. Trying and trying to line the cartridge up just right, hoping it will work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My vote goes for the NES. I've yet to have any trouble with my PS2, I even picked one up at a garage sale for $5 thet they thought was broke, after a good cleaning it worked fine.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted NES. I haven't had any problems with my PSone or PS2. Even with the issues people have with those, EVERYONE used to get blinking NES even back when they were first released. They just weren't built well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

come on. Does nobody own an x-box? All my friends x-boxs, started to act up on them a few months after purchase, and now barely read any games. Somebody has to know what Im talking about.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had my NES for about 11 years now, and nothing bad happened with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had my NES for about 11 years now, and nothing bad happened with it.
    Is it a top loader? if not that is impressive. 11 years and you never once got the blinking screen? That is like having a windows computer and never getting the blue screen of death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Adam computer/32X, Sega CD(model 1), Genesis 3

A personal three way tie for me
    32X-you have to carefully make sure you have the 100 parts to this death contraption before you hook it up...Otherwise you fry it

Sega CD(model 1) There is a reason they made a model 2 so quickly after trying to sell this piece of crap hardware. Of the Three I have personally owened, I have only one that works. The mylar buttons on the faceplate do not register properly at times. The loading tray was another big mistake, as many have problems. Whose idea was it to have the controller open and close the system tray

Genesis 3-Another really shoddy hardware poo. These things fry really easily, and ports tend to go out on the ones I have owned.

If computers count, then hands down the ADAM computer has to be the biggest letdown ever. Supposedly one in two out of the box does not work right.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

None of the above, i'd vote Intellivision.