Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Micro...my thoughts...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bought a Micro...my thoughts...

Well, it's a very nice unit. I like the size, have had no problem with controls (except for the D-Pad being kind of squishy) and the screen is to die for.

Downsides:

The volume is sadly very low, much lower than any previous GBA I have played with. I suppose this is to safe battery life, but I would have liked to hear it abit louder.

The control pad feels abit mushy as stated earlier, and the system definitely feels more fragile than the SP or original.

Upsides:

I REALLY like the idea of the faceplates. Not only do they change the look of the Micro, but much more importantly, they protect the screen. Scratch up the screen (which is really the face cover), no problem. Replace it and you are new again. This should have been done a long long time ago.

The system is light...I mean VERY light. Almost feels like you aren't holding anything. Very comfortable for this reason.

The screen is awesome. It just looks so nice. You just have to see it for yourself.

SP compared:

Sure, you can get the newer SP (with new screen) for cheaper than the Micro. But I have never really been into flipscreens myself. Some may disagree with that, but that is my take on the subject. The Micro just feels good, and brings back (at least to me) what a portable should be like. It's lightweight, the screen is fabulous, the controls are perfectly responsive, and it is small...a very small game system...nothing else. It does what it should, and has true portability written all over it.

All in all, I love this device. This is quite possibly the best portable game system I have ever owned all around...and it is still a GBA...amazing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to hear you are enjoying one of the coolest portables on the market.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

That's cool. I think Im going to get the new SP2 just because the fact that it still plays the older game boy games, which is the only downfall I see for the micro. The micro does look pretty sweet, glad you're happy with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johno590
    That's cool. I think Im going to get the new SP2 just because the fact that it still plays the older game boy games, which is the only downfall I see for the micro. The micro does look pretty sweet, glad you're happy with it.
    The only downfall of the GBASP2, in my opinion, is the D-pad. The GBA and GB micro have a much better D-pad. I wish the micro didn't drop backwards compatibility, as I have been a Game Boy fan since day one, with the original Game Boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default micro

i have one too...and i love it...sucks it dont play old Gameboy games...but what the hay...its so small and the screen is great.....get the new GunStar Heros for it..good game..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, its sad that it doesn't paly old gb games. why though? never before has the gb NOT been backwards compatible, it jsut doesn't make sense!.

other than that I htink those thigs are awesome. definitely a must have for any gb fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imagine having a normal sized GB/GBC cart in the Micro though. It would be so uncomfortable to hold as it gets in the way of your lower hands. I think that was one of the primary reasons why they didn't include it, people now would say well they should have added it anyway. But if they had it would have only carried the price higher and been much more of a drag then playing on the normal SP.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SE-R
    yeah, its sad that it doesn't paly old gb games. why though? never before has the gb NOT been backwards compatible, it jsut doesn't make sense!.

other than that I htink those thigs are awesome. definitely a must have for any gb fanatic
    Dare I say that the GB micro is as much a Game Boy as the DS?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zektor: I couldn't agree more with you. The GameBoy Micro is simply wonderful. If you're interested, I bought one on Saturday, and posted my impressions on my "blog"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They probably didn't include GB/GBC compatibility because the hardware wouldn't fit inside the thing. Remember, inside every normal GBA is a GBC.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love mine. Especially for playing Classic NES games. (Wish there were more.)

More pictures here:
    http://www.jasoco.net/game-collection/famicom-micro/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    They probably didn't include GB/GBC compatibility because the hardware wouldn't fit inside the thing. Remember, inside every normal GBA is a GBC.
    If you have a dev card you can always play some monochrome GB games using an emulator. I tried this last night and it worked great.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Micro a short while ago and have to agree. The screen is fantastic, easily the best screen ever on a Game Boy. Being so small doesn't bother me. The L and R buttons take a bit of getting used to, but otherwise it's a great design. Being able to control the brightness to the degree you can on the micro is good, I wish the SP2 had that level of control.

No classic Game Boy support doesn't bother me either. Including the GBC hardware would have driven the size and price up. That and I have enough Game Boys around to play my older games.

The next Game Boy had better sport a larger version of this same screen!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    If you have a dev card you can always play some monochrome GB games using an emulator. I tried this last night and it worked great.
    The sad thing about mono GB emulation on the GBA is that the emulator, Goomba, doesn't properly emulate the best mono GB game: Zelda: Link's Awakening. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself and see.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johno590

yeah I got a sp2, and its worth it, I tried a used micro from my local gamestop and, it was nice, but the screen to me was way toooo small, so I would say nay to the micro, for me the sp2 is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

I like the d-pad on the Micro also but I still think the NGPC d-pad >*
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought two 20th anniversary ed (keeping one sealed). honestly the best GB iteration IMO. the screen, controls, size is all A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

i'm still trying to get used to my ngpc d-stick. I have a heavy hand and the control is sooooo light to the touch. I'm still trying to get used to those jp stylegames too. dark arms is my fav right now.

only downside is volume (i think that is the general concensus with us all) and no gbc support, but it is forgivable considering it would increase the size.
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nifty. I really liked the look of the micro, but I'll get the DS first because I really like the selection of what they have. Although the screen is small I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a bother because I already set resolution on monitors so high I'm use to small viewing.

I didn't know they knocked out backwards compatibility with original GB games, nice to know. It's awkward they would do that but I'm sure it had something to do with hardware size limiations to keep it micro. About the sound though, I think that goes to the size factor as well. With the lack of space, the coils would be smaller keeping amplification at a minimal. If you wanted louder sound, create or buy a mini amplifier unit external from the unit, but expect to get more batteries.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i never thought anything of them until I saw my friend playing the 20th ann. one.

when I first saw the micro, I was like 'meh' :/

then I heard they pulled the Z80 I was like 'double meh' :/ :/

then my friend brought his over and was playing minish cap and i was like

I absolutely had to have one, so i got one (or 2 i should say)

the micro is THE pocket portable. Everything else is just small

my friend uses an ipod mini sock for his 'case'... its awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm trying to find a micro used now - hopefully I can find one

Is there a good place to find micro faceplates? It'd be cool to design your own. I remember you could do that with a console skin site once.