Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Default Emulators on the xbox *UPDATED FIRST POST PICS*

First let me say that if for some reason this is to dangerous of a topic please don't kill me

Now I plan on buying my kiddos there very own xbox for x-mas. I figured that I would soft mod it upgrade the hard drive (I'm not sure what the max is I'm hoping 200 gigs) and putting every game from n64 on back on it for them.

so my question is what are the best running emulators for it. I read something about emus running uh....sdk? were illegal. I personally don't care I'm sure I could still find them. so if any of you could help me out with advice and what would be best let me know.

also I'd like to note that I'm no novice so don't be afriad to be technical

I downsized the orginal text as to not make my post to long if you want to read it just quote and it shall be large again

Finally found the time to get these pics up as promised of my kiddos enjoying some modded Xbox goodness.

OMG AN XBOX!!! (To be honest I made them sit for that picture hence the lack of joy in there faces. They did not want to wait to play it)

Ok hold up the discs so I can take a picture (He had no idea what they were at that time) I had to rename the BAED's to BBED's cuss words are a nono in my house.

I tried to take the best pic I could of them playing street fighter 2 alpha. My oldest thought he ruled the roost till I jumped in and womped him. Humility is a good thing

This is where he was hopping around like a jack rabbit from excitment as well as loosing to his younger brother right after I womped him. I think I hurt his moral lol

Now my kiddos play mostly Halo 2 (when I think he has the mindset for it) and my oldest just tortures his younger sister and brother due to there lack of abliity. So once in awhile I humble him again so he'll be nicer. no pics of that though.

oh njiska I got those discs you sent me on the monday after X-mas thanks so much for trying. (It's ok I managed to D/L them the day right before X-mas eve.) Now I have one last question but thats in the last post.

ONE LAST THING

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HELPED WITH INPUT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!

you guys are the best I would never have gotten this far without you. you guys rock and deserve a cookie. each and every one of you or I could give hugs all around

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

pretty much all mulators will have less than 100% compatibility issue... some more and some less...

I only use N64 and NeoGeo and frankly N64 on XBox isn't that good compared to others out there... NeoGeo however is great... my fav being original MetalSlug...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    pretty much all mulators will have less than 100% compatibility issue... some more and some less...

I only use N64 and NeoGeo and frankly N64 on XBox isn't that good compared to others out there... NeoGeo however is great... my fav being original MetalSlug...
    The N64 Emu is probably the worst one on the system however all of the Emu's for the 8/16-bit Era are amazing with very high compatibility.

Aside from the fact that the Super CD Emu doesn't emulate all of the controller buttons everything else is just great.

If you're looking for a real good time then you should defintly get the Big-Assed emulator discs. 4 full DVDs of emulators and ROMs for the xbox. If you want them just give me a PM and i'll help you get a hold of them.

As for the HDD thanks to modern firmware there is no Gigabyte cap anymore, however i'd strongly advise you to take the Hardware mod route. Soft modding is ok, but I find a real xecuter mod chip is far more reliable and you don't have to worry about anything wiping out your soft mod.

I'm pretty knowledgable in the Xbox Scene so i'll tell you whatever you need to know.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Great

Though I already have everything you can think of in terms of roms. So all I would really need on that front would be the proper emus.

I'm glad to here there is not limit on how big the drive can be. So a Hardware Mod would be the way to go then? I thinking your pretty much right considering I would be letting my kids play with it and I wouldn't be around it all the time to watch them with it.

So where would I pick up a xecuter chip from? Would I have to worry about sodering? I have very little exp. with doing that. So I wouldn't feel very confident doing it.

BTW I've pm'd ya

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Great

Though I already have everything you can think of in terms of roms. So all I would really need on that front would be the proper emus.

I'm glad to here there is not limit on how big the drive can be. So a Hardware Mod would be the way to go then? I thinking your pretty much right considering I would be letting my kids play with it and I wouldn't be around it all the time to watch them with it.

So where would I pick up a xecuter chip from? Would I have to worry about sodering? I have very little exp. with doing that. So I wouldn't feel very confident doing it.

BTW I've pm'd ya
    Here's where i got mine http://www.system-mods.com/. I trust them whole-heartedly. And yes there are no solder options available.

As for the proper Emu's well that's what's so great bout the Big-Assed EMU discs. All the Emu's all properly configured.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually softmod is the way to go now. I have been modding xbox's for about 2 years and have found softmod's the best way to go(only the new ones). go to xbox-scene.org, and look up krazie's installer, it works perfect with no problems now, it takes about 5 min's if you know how to do everything correctly. my little sis has been using everyday for months and ive had no problems with it. as for emulators, n64 is just okay right now, you can get a few good games to work, but most work at about 50% speed. nes/genesis/psx/snes/segacd all work pretty good. anyway read up on softmods, if you'll find that they have pretty much rendered mod chips useless.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Woah!

There is a ton of freaking options! It's like shopping for a pair of womens shoes, they all serve much of the same function But come in many styles and colors

So I'll ask this, What method would allow the most funtionablity with an easy to Navigate user interface?

since my children are rather young that play (8,6,6 and 4) I don't want to worry that they'll blitz something rendering it useless. While still getting all the goodies and not needing to run back and fourth setting stuff up for them.

Also Xbox live would be nice but not nessecary. Theres always XBconnect So we could play together. But if I can get them on live without worrying about the xbox being banned (as we mostly play halo 2 at the moment) it would be nice.

I looked up krazie's installer and it's highly recommended. But if a mod chip works better for what I'm looking for then (it also seems cheaper as I only have the xbox memory card) I'll easly go that way.

thanks for all the help so far guys. My kids are going to freak out this X-mas. It's going to be GREAT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I too have been looking to mod my xbox, but just don't really know where to start. I had a mod chip installed on my old PSX back in the day, but I don't really know if I wanna go the route of installing a mod chip... I have heard some bad things about the solderless, so I'm nervous about that as well.

I've done visual mods, such as the jewel, port, and eject mods, but that is it.

I did a search for Krazie's installer, and I found the thread but I didn't find anything else about it? Like what it involves or where to get the installer.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by johno590
    I too have been looking to mod my xbox, but just don't really know where to start. I had a mod chip installed on my old PSX back in the day, but I don't really know if I wanna go the route of installing a mod chip... I have heard some bad things about the solderless, so I'm nervous about that as well.

I've done visual mods, such as the jewel, port, and eject mods, but that is it.

I did a search for Krazie's installer, and I found the thread but I didn't find anything else about it? Like what it involves or where to get the installer.

It really seems the way to go.

From reading that nfo it's pretty dummy proof. at least from what I've read so far.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an idea - if you plan to get the system chipped amek sure you mark your components. Put a little dot on the inside of the DVD-Rom. I've never had this problem with the XboX but back in the day when I modded my PS1 the insided were swapped with old components!
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Faxanadu
    Here's an idea - if you plan to get the system chipped amek sure you mark your components. Put a little dot on the inside of the DVD-Rom. I've never had this problem with the XboX but back in the day when I modded my PS1 the insided were swapped with old components!
    I had something similar happen to me when I went to get a PSX repaired years back. The Guy said he couldn't fix it and it was fried then I asked for it back and he handed me someone elses which was Way worse off then mine was. I'll take a system in to get fixed with marking it good inside and out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Well i still stand by my beleif that a mod chip is better, but to be fair i'm also a strong supporter of sticking LCD mods in there too. I like the hardeware approach because i've always felt safer with the chip. I know that i can just turn it off and the xbox will work just fine.

I think it'd more personal preference and skill then which is truely better.

Oh and Damion i'll get you all setup software wise. I've got a prebuilt disc of must have Xbox software i'll throw in with the BAEDs.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Well i still stand by my beleif that a mod chip is better, but to be fair i'm also a strong supporter of sticking LCD mods in there too. I like the hardeware approach because i've always felt safer with the chip. I know that i can just turn it off and the xbox will work just fine.

I think it'd more personal preference and skill then which is truely better.
    I'd have to agree with ya. because I lack any real sodering skills lol

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Oh and Damion i'll get you all setup software wise. I've got a prebuilt disc of must have Xbox software i'll throw in with the BAEDs.
    Awsome

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also suggset getting a modchip instead of soft modding. Just my preference. Once you get going with the emulators you will never want to stop. They are that good.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Evil_Skrilla

I also suggest getting a modchip over softmodding.

I would suggest getting an Xenium Ice Solderless (Or S.P.Ice if you have a newer xbox). It literely takes about 1-3 minutes to install. Its what i have in my xbox right now, along with a 160GB HD. It has a ton of great features on the OS, that come in quite handy.

Anyway as far as xbox n64 emulators go, the best would have to be Surreal 64, which is basically just 3 in 1. Theres also a thread at Xbox Scene that tells which Roms work on the xbox and which ones don't. Most of the games i noticed usually run pretty slow. Older system emualtors work great though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) phantomfriar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damion,
    there are a LOT of options and it can be overwhelming, reading all those tutorials on Xbox Scene, many of which can be conflicting in terms of their information (to say nothing of the message boards, where they're not the, say, most understanding group around, lol).

I had a Version "1.0" box that I had an Xecuter chip installed into (If you're buying a new Xbox, some people say it's ideal for "softmodding", but there are others who will warn you against that).

So, to do the sodering and other work, I ended up paying a guy on Xbox Scene that I shipped my Xbox to...he did a very nice job and had Evox (basically the "operating system") pre-installed. The ROMs and other software I downloaded myself (read Xbox Scene, it's all there) and then FTP'd into the system. Somehow, though, even the latter took a long time to figure everything out. If you try and do it all on your own ("mod" the Xbox, track down and download all the programs, FTP them, load in all the ROMs, change their pathnames if they're too long [a problem with some SNES ROMs etc]), count on a few days worth of work to get everything running.

Not trying to tell you not to do it -- in fact, after it's done, the emulators (save the N64 one) run great and you will have a virtual "Video Game History" machine at your disposal -- but if you could find someone who will do the work for you on Xbox Scene AND not charge an arm and a leg, you may find that route is more worth it, even if it's a few bucks more. (Check the classifieds on Xbox Scene, there may be people locally near you who will do it).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Since everyone is PMing me about the BAED i submit to you the following options.

1. Everynoe and then they come up on alt.binaries.games.xbox You can find them there.
    2. Isohunt, The Pirate Bay and Xbox-Sky Tracker all have torrents available for download.
    3. If those options don't work then you can contact me through PM and we can work out a way of getting them to you.

Thanks for all the interest. I don't know who made these but they deserve all the credit in the world for doing a fabulous job of making sure it all works.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox emulation is great for generations 16-bit and older, including arcade and portables released during those generations. The PSX and N64 emulation is highly buggy.

Even the SNES emulation has issues, and yes it is 16-bit, which I claimed fell into the great category, but just know that it is the worst emulator, accuracy/compatibility wise, in the 16-bit and older category. It is still good enough for casual play of many games, and the games it has problems with are the ones that use special co-processor chips inside the original game's cart: Pilot Wings, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc. These run, but with additional glitches and general buginess. Note that since most of the SNES platformers, fighters, shooters, and RPGs do not use special co-processor chips, they run great under emulation.

Now for some links. I am a big emulation on Xbox fan, but just realize that it has limitations, inaccuracies, and incompatibilities compared to the real systems.

Great sight for everything Xbox modding related:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/

The best Xbox emulators:
    http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

Watch XVID and DIVX movies on your Xbox:
    http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/

The best link is that xbox-scene link. You will want to poke around the site's forums, especially these specific boards:

This board discusses topics related to the Krayzie Ndure Installer, which is the best way to softmod your Xbox:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...c&showforum=45

This board discusses topics related to the Xport emulators, which are emulators for various systems, all ported to the Xbox by the same guy. So they all have a similar look-n-feel and level of quality.
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...c&showforum=96

The remaining emulators (N64, Arcade) are discussed here:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...c&showforum=17

I recommend installing XBMC as your dashboard, after doing the Krayzie Ndure Installer softmod. This makes your Xbox boot into what looks like a DVD player menu, which will let you select movies, music, or emulated games to play. It is really slick looking.

I have the most experience with the NES and SNES Xbox emulators, and I have compared both, side-by-side, with a real NES and SNES running the same games as the emulator. The NES emulator, FCE Ultra X, is closer to a real NES than the SNES emulator, xSNES9x, is to a real SNES. xSNES9x doesn't properly emulate one of my favorite games: Super Mario Kart, so maybe I am a bit biased there FCE Ultra X, on the other hand, is more compatible and accurate than Famiclones such as the NEX and NeoFami, but it still has incompatibilities, inaccuracies, bugs, off-hue colors, and off-tune sounds, and a fuzzier picture, when compared to a real NES. But hey, FCE Ultra X can play Castlevania III

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allsport11
    I also suggset getting a modchip instead of soft modding. Just my preference. Once you get going with the emulators you will never want to stop. They are that good.
    Why? The latest soft-mod, the Krayzie Ndure Installer, mods your Xbox via software to be able to do everything that a mod-chipped Xbox can do. It is also cheaper than a Mod-chip, easier to install, and easier to uninstall. In fact, you can uninstall this soft-mod so cleanly that your Xbox is exactly like it was when you bought it. Mod-chipping permenantly physically alters the Xbox.

I was an early adopter of soft-modding, and yes the early methods were very hacky and had problems (clock looping, DVD tray locking)... but modern soft-mods are just as good as mod-chips, and if you already have or can borrow the tools needed to get the soft-mod onto your Xbox, then the soft-mod is free while the mod-chip costs $50. The modern soft-mod can even be toggled on and off, so that you can put your Xbox into and out of a modded state.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Thanks guys for all the help/advice so far, keep it coming. seriously, it's very encouraging.

What I've decided so far is to go the softmod route. I've managed to get an action replay max for eight bucks (I had alot of besy buy bucks from mcdonalds) and I've got a non-platinum hits splinter cell on the way from ebay which also was eight bucks.

Course if the softmod route becomes to complicated I will go with a chip.

Now, so far on the softmodding route krazys installer is the way to go. but my next snag is upgrading the hard drive. From some of the tutorials I've read I have to have the xbox hooked up to a computer with the new drive as master on the comp. is there anyway around this? I've noticed the reason for it was the locking code on the Xbox hard drive. I'm just hoping theres a way to get the code after doing the mod so that I can just build the drive myself. without needing to do all that.

Also I've been reading about using FTP and the only mention I've seen so far of one was Bert and Ernie. I've never heard of an FTP program like that before. course I haven't had to use an FTP program in years.

So thats where I'm at so far. I'll probaly be getting the Xbox and hardrive sometime next week. Hopefully my copy of splinter cell will be here by that point.