Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOUR: PS3 to not play USED GAMES?!? (Offically Denied)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, a lot of these threads are going to be downright comedy goldmines after the systems hit the streets. It's already that way with old Xbox360 threads, all the flames and fanboys etc ...

Oh well, at least this one has roots in an interesting patent filing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that "if" this ever happend GS GC BB would be pushing accessorys instead of used games. The mark up on these things are also high (although not as high as used games).

But still I don't see this happening. What if your PS3 broke all the games you have would be worthless. And given the track records of lauch Sony consoles there would be many an angery gamer out there.

Not going to happen when it comes to console gaming.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So ignoring for a minute that its really unlikely that Sony would do this, who here would pass up the PS3 if it didn't play used games? I know I would. 95% of my games are used. Maybe then I could start to catch up on my backlog for everything else, but probably I'd just end up buying more 360 and Rev games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, if it were true, it would be such a drastic negative that they would be doomed. I'm probably not getting a PS3 to begin with, but some goofy kind of not letting you play used titles would seal the deal for me.

For me, the reasons for getting a PS3 would be : pretty open (like the PSP scene right now, loads of cool mods and hacks), and 1080p movies (not entirely up to Sony, but if the drives are in millions of systems, I'm thinking the movie companies will be quick to capitalize). Games are somewhat secondary, though if they can actually deliver the kind of content seen in the MGS4 trailer, they might get me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    So ignoring for a minute that its really unlikely that Sony would do this, who here would pass up the PS3 if it didn't play used games? I know I would. 95% of my games are used. Maybe then I could start to catch up on my backlog for everything else, but probably I'd just end up buying more 360 and Rev games.
    As much as it pains me to say i would. Of course only after it's a total failure and being sold off for nothing. I need my MGS 4 afterall. Plus it's because of situations nlike this that hackers evolved. Nothing is unhackable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog

That's why Sony or any other compony dosen't really care if your type buy's it or not :P since you buy 95% used, and it's not a cut down on you either. They just care about the gamers that drop the $$$.

I don't think this will happen soon, but you never know in this day and age with the amount of greed these's days. I'm sure if all media componies had it their way it'd be all downloadable only and we see the end of in-hand stuff.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True that, hackers continually amaze, of course some things can be such a pain the orifice that people just don't bother. Everything from CSS to CPS2 to that Ipod music format has been hacked .. it's just a matter of practicality.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't put it past Sony for trying some ish like this. If anybody did something like this, it would be them.

The one thing that really pisses me off about this idea, is the thought process that people only have one video game system. I had two XBOX's for a very long time. I enjoyed having two XBOX systems. One in my Garage Theater, and one in my living room. I have two PS1 systems. I have two Sega Saturns. I have two SNES. Etc, etc. I like having two systems, cause it's just more convienent for me. In fact, I'm buying two XBOX 360 systems. (I'm not sure If I'll actually keep both, or end up selling one for a profit)

At some point down the line, I would likely have two PS3 systems as well. But if I cant take my Metal Gear Solid 7 and play it in both systems, then I would pissed as hell.

Same thing with Blu Ray movies. At some point, I would probably have multiple Blu Ray movie players in my house, and I would want to take a movie and be able to watch the same individual movie on any of my blu ray dvd players. So the idea of the disc marrying to a single system really pisses me off to no end.

This is a very, very, very bad idea, and if Sony really tries this, they are going to regret it. Big Time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the very idea of Sony doing this is totally absurd. Microsoft would be just as likely (ie - .01% chance) of doing anything like this, they already have "Product Activation" intended to limit the installation of a program or operating system to a single or limited number of systems.

Realistically, neither company will touch anything like this with a 100,000km pole. This is just another piece of paper that's going to go join the other twenty-five jillion patents these guys have.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I have to say is....

VARIABLE SPEED SPINNING = DISC READ ERROR

(not a fanboy just a realist)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    All I have to say is....

Who knows, I mean BD-Roms have been out in Japan for quite some time now. Any word on their reliability so far?

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaign
    Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity
    All I have to say is....

Who knows, I mean BD-Roms have been out in Japan for quite some time now. Any word on their reliability so far?
    "This new media design minimizes or eliminates some issues related to the composition of DVD and HD media. With standard DVD media, the laser can be split into two beams when it passes through a substrate layer. If this split becomes excessive, read errors are induced. Second, because the recording layer is now closer to the objective lens in the optical assembly of the drive, disc tilt sensitivity is reduced. If the disc is not perfectly flat and perpendicular to the laser axis, the beam can become distorted, a condition known as disc tilt. This condition increases or decreases based on the thickness of the cover layer."

It is reduced but not eliminated and of course this will depend on the manufacturing quality. But it is nice to see this problem is being addressed for the next generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I doubt that Sony would do this, after hearing about the rootkit issue, who knows?

Probably a bunch of FUD.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will never happen. Sony wouldn't be this foolish.

But if by some far out chance it did happen, I wouldn't buy a PS3. Just think about it for a moment. Say your PS3 dies and you need to buy a new one, well all your games are now worthless too. So after all that money you've spent, you're stuck with an expensive doorstop and drink coasters.

Sony would dig it's own grave.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ABout as likely as you will only be able to play your games once and then buy a new copy.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me... but why wouldn't it be possible to have "corporate" codes on rental disks... i.e. if Blockbuster wanted to buy 1000 units of a game to rent, they would have a code burned onto it that allows it to play on any console (like a Region 0 code on a DVD). DVD's already do this in one form or another... R0 coded dvd's and Rental vs. Retail dvd's; unite the two and voila...

Also, I notice some poeple are saying "sony wouldn't do this" or "sony would never do this!"... now I am not one to bash any company; every company has had its ups and downs, and has made its fair share of learning mistakes (and will have more mistakes to come). Nintendo's was to market specifically at children, sega's was the dreamcast (which was way beyond its time imo), and so on... This could be the next mistake in a long line, and I wouldn't put it down to sony not doing it for "ethical" reasons... They are the company that installed rootkits in unsespecting users computers after all... But then again, there is a general trend to "kill them bl**dy software pirates" after all....

So I guess we will need to wait and see. If they do implement it, imo there is going to be a boost in mod-chips that burn a "region 0" code on the disk; or that trick the console in thinking it connected to the server and got the code accepted. There will be an increase in sales in rental copies of disks too, and this should offset (at least slightly) the loss of sales of normal disks. Then again, there will be a gain in sales from the lack of piracy. Many countries (UK being one of them) have totally outlawed mod chips, so the law would help them too...

Also, Microsoft comes to mind. They did implement a (highly controversial I might add) system similar to this (assuming the PS3 uses internet verification of the codes) and they got away with it though the sheer <cough>quality<cough> of their product (don't flame me, I'm just making a point - wheather it was quality of forcing it on users is a differnet thing). So let me ask you a question, if sony does implement this, how many people would refuse to buy their console? I don't think many, maybe the ones that know a little more about consoles, but the typical gamer wouldn't. Also, what comes to mind is that a code/console could be allowed to play a rented/borrowed game for a limited period (or limited features)... Kinda like a demo, then after a limited amount of time, will work only on "another" console or back on its original...

Just my two pence though...
    Michele

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if they implemented it, there is always a way of getting around it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't read everything, but in what I did read, nobody caught one implication...

Retail stores would no longer be able to reseal used games and sell them as new

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Preventing people from playing used discs (whether games or films) on their machine will not happen, irrespective of whether or not Sony have the technology to try it.

If you remove the re-sale market for games then you remove a whole consumer base for your products. Sure, Sony don't make any money from resales - but these people still have to buy the console, and the likelihood is that they will buy some new titles as well. If people discover that they will never be able to buy a used game, they will just plump for a system where they can - which is something Sony most certainly do not want.

The same goes for DVDs - given the current jostling for position between the rival new DVD formats, Sony are certainly not going to do anything that will lose them favour with consumers in this respect either. Preventing people from buying used DVDs, or from borrowing DVDs from freinds is not going to gain them any favours whatsoever ...

Finally, as has been said before .... it will be a matter of weeks (well, possibly months - but I am guessing weeks) before anything like that got hacked straight through anyway.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    The one thing that really pisses me off about this idea, is the thought process that people only have one video game system. I had two XBOX's for a very long time. I enjoyed having two XBOX systems. One in my Garage Theater, and one in my living room. I have two PS1 systems. I have two Sega Saturns. I have two SNES. Etc, etc. I like having two systems, cause it's just more convienent for me. In fact, I'm buying two XBOX 360 systems. (I'm not sure If I'll actually keep both, or end up selling one for a profit)
    I also don't like the thought of this since 80% of the games that I buy are used. But this kind of "program sharing" is already prohibited in the PC software industry. Try installing Microsoft Office 2003 or Turbo Tax on multiple PCs, even if they're both yours and see what happens. Is it really that unlogical that the videogame industry would want to follow the same path? After all, how much money must the industry be loosing because of used games sales?