Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning NES games... Your best advice?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning NES games... Your best advice?

Quote Originally Posted by *TRICKSTAR*
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly
    Am I correct in assuming I can use rubbing alcohol to clean the game contacts safely? I have a lot of games and I need to clean them the right way.

Greg
    WD-40
    WD-40 is extremely bad to use on electronics. It is great on things made of pure metal, but printed circuit boards are combinations of things, and WD-40 will actually destroy them in the long run.

Also, store bought rubbing alcohol contains water, and hence it is bad to use on electronic equipment. There is a reason that I have suggest anhydrous alcohol, i.e., because it has no water in it. It is specifically made for cleaning electronics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    No matter what anybody tells you...
    The top rack of your dishwasher is not safe!!!
    Repeat, The top rack of your dishwasher is not safe!!!
    I've used a dishwasher for cases of Classic consoles, and once for the board of a Darth Vader 2600. Now, those were just the *cases*, and the one time for the 2600 board I ran the washer without soap, just water, and let it dry for 24+ hours.

As for NES carts, rubbing alchohol, Q-Tips, a Pen eraser (not a pencil, a Pen..) with an Emery board as a last resort works fine.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also remember that any use of tissue or any other paper product generates Static Electricity and some electronic parts will fry with less that 40 volts where when you feel a static shock will be in the range of 2000 volts (remember its Amps that will kill you). when i worked in a Circuit board manufacture plant we could not use any paper around the boards.. and also we did wash the boards with a cleaner and water .. this is fine as long as the board is completely dry in a timely matter to prevent corrosion and shorting out of the circuit boards when plugged in

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Make sure that you always keep your NES covered when not playing it. There are official toaster covers that fit nicely.
    Oh, really? I store my NES in a big, plastic sandwich bag, but an official cover would lend more class. I wonder if they sell them on eBay?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning NES games... Your best advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly
    Am I correct in assuming I can use rubbing alcohol to clean the game contacts safely?
    DeoxIT!!! DeoxIT works wonders on games. I had games that hadn't worked for years and when I used Deoxit they worked like new. I was so happy when I found this stuff. It cleans the dirt from the contacts and removes oxidation. There is also a second solution you put on to protect the contacts on the cartridge after your clean it. It's a little pricey but well worth it. Anyone else ever use it?

Check it out here:
    http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

They also sell the 5% solution at Radio Shack.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Make sure that you always keep your NES covered when not playing it. There are official toaster covers that fit nicely.
    Oh, really? I store my NES in a big, plastic sandwich bag, but an official cover would lend more class. I wonder if they sell them on eBay?
    I got my cover from a friend. It fits the NES perfectly, and is made out of a plastic coated fabric similar to that used for car "bras" and car covers. I think it is water proof. It fits so nicely, even with cables plugged in, that I actually keep it on my NES at all times, except when I want to change the game that I am playing.