Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever buy a new game that just flat-out didn't work?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Anyone ever buy a new game that just flat-out didn't work?

I bought a copy of Advance Wars 2 for GBA a while back at Best Buy, I was lucky and snagged it for $5.

I never bothered to open it, as I figured I'd play it once I finished the first one. I made it to the last mission in AW1, and, after many attempts at finishing it, I decided that it's impossible and that I'm going to start playing part 2. I open the shrinkwrap, pop it into my DS, nothing. I tried it on a different DS, nothing. Also nothing when I tried it on a GBASP.

It's frustrating since I'm stuck and there's nothing I can do. At least it was only $5, but it just bites that my game's broken before it was even placed in a system. I think I may boycott Nintendo products now. (I'm kidding!)

Anyone else run into a problem like this?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ON PC starship troopers - man am i pissed i was too lasy to return it - after 4 PCs it still dosent work
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a copy of KOF Maximum Impact that when I finally got around to playing it found that the center circle was completely warped and it wouldn't play at all. I had bought it on clearance at Circuit City, but Walmart took it back for exchange to a new copy. They are pretty lenient there as long as you want the same title, have you tried that yet? If you have the packaging I'm 99% certain they'd take it back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very rarely.

Some later Saturn games (Daytona CCE Netlink Edition, Sega Ages) didn't run right on my first-gen system. I swapped it for a new machine and all was well.

My first copy of Spider-Man on the PSX didn't run -- returned it to TRU for a replacement, no worries.

Considering all the stuff I buy, it's amazing there aren't more manufacturing glitches. Quality is pretty good nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this counts as far as tore up but one time I bought a copy of Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind for the X-Box and when I opened it it had the instruction booklet for Enclave and FF7 disc 3 for PSX in it. Wal-Mart gave me hell when I tried to return that game.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Quote Originally Posted by letsallgameon
    I don't know if this counts as far as tore up but one time I bought a copy of Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind for the X-Box and when I opened it it had the instruction booklet for Enclave and FF7 disc 3 for PSX in it. Wal-Mart gave me hell when I tried to return that game.
    Was it sealed? That is very strange... like they had a return but didn't bother to look at it before.

This isn't a video game but I got a copy of Wizard of Oz on dvd for christmas a few years back and it just didn't work, had to take it back and get another copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

O.K., I briefly spoke about this a long time ago with John from cgexpo. Not on the forum, in person.

When I was a bright eyed Intellivision fan (still am, now only it branched to sayyy, everything else too). I loved the idea of consoles getting games from the arcade like everyone else did.

I saw a game at the toys r' us in Douglaston, NY. It had been in my local batting range and I wanted it bad. Well, after some saving and pleading I was able to get it. The game, Tutankham by Parker Bros. Yes, yes. It was only a non-U.S. release. I'm not going to debate it. However fate shined, I had a copy of the damn thing. When I got it home it didn't work!!!! It would get to the intro screen and no further.

I went back the same day. Tried to get another copy, no dice. They didn't have one. I don't remember what I got. But I do remember how bad it sucked giving it up.

Anyhow, it would be years until I would reclaim my game.
    Now I do have it, open and a sealed copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that last mission on AW1 was a bitch if you didn't have the right combination of COs!

It wasn't something that I bought, but on Halo 2 midnight release, one of our customers opened theirs up in the store. Lucky they did, cause inside was a completely blank, clear piece of plastic in the shape of a CD. There was a code printed on the inside circle, but there was no label and the thing was just clear. Very bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johno590
    Quote Originally Posted by letsallgameon
    Was it sealed? That is very strange... like they had a return but didn't bother to look at it before.
    Yeah the game was sealed when I bought it. I think Wal-Mart thought i was trying to pull one over on them or something, which I wasn't. I ended up having to go to management over the whole deal ... I would have been pissed if the whole thing wasn't so out of the ordinary.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, never. You got to have very crum luck for that to even happen to you.

*Looks at Gemini* :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I bought Ninja Gaiden III Ship of Doom for Lynx, brandnew, sealed, (29.99 ukpounds) approx. $50.00. Didn't work, but since I was an excellent buyer in that store I got an exchange, which worked.

I also bought 'Game Over II' on tape for C-64 (during the 80s in the UK, they loved tape games), brandnew, sealed. Upon loading it it didn't work, and I discovered that there was a 'Roger Whittaker' music album on it and no game whatsoever. They exchanged it.

This was very popular in the UK during the 80s, if a kid didn't like the game, the kid took the tape back to the store, saying it didn't load on his 'Spectrum' or 'C-64', and the shop gave a refund. And the kid could spent it on a 'good' game. Hehe those were the days.....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Years ago, I bought a new version of phantasy star 4 for the megadrive still factory sealed (with a hard seal).
    I opened it and started to play. When my mum called me for lunch, tryed to save.
    I couldn't. The back up battery was dead
    Well, I had the warranty so I exchanged it a few hours later

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought Chrono Cross for PS brand new at ebgames for like 8 bucks, got home and it wouldn;t boot in my PS2. Got a NEW Ps2 and still wouldn't work. Incompatability or just shitty PS2 problems as usual?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I got motocross maniacs advance at k mart

sealed

inside was a copy of konami acrade advance they wouldnt take it back the same night

what assholes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple of Dreamcast games that I never got to work both new and used.

Also remember more than a couple occasions the Damn Gd roms ot the DC games getting a couple scratches and NEVER WORKING AGAIN touchy touchy THE ONLY THING I HATED about the format of the Dreamcast games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Killemall1057

One of the NFL Gamedays for PC, some of the graphics files were corrupt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went through not one, not two, but three copies of NES Pro Sport Hockey from Babbages before I got one that worked right.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I probably had more experiences with this, but i can remember three times that it happened, all for my PC.

1. Lego Stunt Rally (Didn't load to the main screen!)

2. Star Wars Racer (Sure, Installed great, But when got to playing section, it crashed)

3. The Sims: Deluxe Edition (Disc 2 Didn't Read, so i couldn't install it completely)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I have had this problem once, with a Medal Of Honor Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it wasn't a game, but rather a cartridge based accessory. Remember those new fangled Game Genies for the NES back in the early 90's? I got one in the Summer of 91 as a birthday present. It DID NOT WORK, PERIOD! At least my parents were able to get a refund