Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    $20 isnt much anyway so even if you buy it and find it boring its not like you lost anything.

Isnt Myst first person point and click? I see someone earlier compared it to Kings Quest, which is all in 3rd person view.
    You are correct MYST is a First Person, rail based, point and click.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Myst was OK I thought RIVEN sucked ass thought

Have been thinking about getting the anniversary edition for my PC since I have a total of 4 games for my PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love adventure games but hate Myst with a passion. I honestly don't get it. I found it heartless and mechanical with absolutely nothing that actually made me want to play. I never, ever got the appeal of the graphics. Everything seemed just, dead.

I'd keep far, far away from it, no matter how many bajillion units it sold.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Riven got a PS release too, 5 discs I seem to recall. Huge.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    My point was that a virgin player won't beat it in an hour without cheating so it's kind of unfair to bring it up.
    Not really...many other adventure games flat-out kick its ass in terms of longevity, especially The 7th Guest, which was a huge counterpart (and competitor...) of Myst.

Besides, I qualified the statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    Riven got a PS release too, 5 discs I seem to recall. Huge.
    Definitely will be picking that up.

Oh, and folks, do yourself a favor and download the Uru demo. It's...very nice.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Myst was all right--certainly not my favorite.

The whole idea of Myst was to feel like you were in a new world. It wasn't so much about gameplay, but about exploration, atmosphere and mystery. Thus the name . . MYSTery. At the time, it was pretty incredible, although like Ed, I prefered the 7th Guest (even if the games got a little frustrating and the story got lamer and lamer as the game went.)

And unlike sabre, I FAR perfer Riven to Myst. It's still one of my favorite game playing experiences. It's more atmospheric, has a more interesting backstory (though you gotta dig between the lines to find it), and more immersive. I'm a sucker for games with immersive atmospheres. At the time, the graphics were amazing. The first time I rode the tram or saw the shark swim by in the throne room were great gaming moments for me.

But as many have already said, these games definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea. No biggie if it doesn't sound interesting to you. Even though they were to me, I can understand why someone wouldn't dig 'em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wufners
    And unlike sabre, I FAR perfer Riven to Myst. More atmospheric, more interesting backstory, and more immersive. At the time, the graphics were amazing. The first time I rode the tram or saw the shark swim by in the throne room were great gaming moments for me.
    I know I've said it before...

*everybody groans, or at least Ed imagines they do*

...but back in 1997, I didn't have the game; all I had were the magazine ads and the game package to go by. They definitely caught my attention.

I first played Riven within the last two months. The first time I rode the tram...yes, that was pretty jaw-droppingly good. Myst isn't terrible, graphically, but it makes you appreciate Riven much more.

And that guy who walks out in front of your temporary prison at the very beginning to talk to you in some other language...wow, that wasn't expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think any game has divided gamers more than Myst. There really is no middle ground; you either love it or hate it. Personally, I loved it, although I could understand why the hardcore gamers didn't. But the game simply wasn't made for them. Hmm. Perhaps that's an unspoken reason for the opposition.

I loved the whole visual style of the game, its slight touch of surrealism. There was a slightly creepy tone in exploring these uninhabited worlds. It's all empty, but haunted with a past that is only suggested at. You're inspired to poke around in all the corners to see everything.

The puzzles, I think, require a certain mode of thinking to understand. They follow a solid logic, but it's not standard to most adventure games. But everything is fair, and they all fit in with the environments.

I played Myst on the Saturn eons ago, and I think I became hooked once I uncovered a couple book pages, and started to unravel this mystery of the two brothers, trapped in the books. Their stories constantly refute one another's, and the whole saga comes down to a simple question: which brother will you believe? Who gets released from his prison? Thankfully, I decided to start wandering around, and it turned out I picked the right, Twilight Zone-ish surprise ending.

So, yeah, I have fond memories of Myst. It impressed upon me enough to buy the Myst books that followed on the game's success. I'm still surprised the inevitable movie didn't happen. No matter, it would have been terrible, anyway. Unless a surrealist like, say, Bunuel made it.

I've never played the later Myst games, but it was clear that Riven didn't capture the public's attention the way the original had. That's probably telling. And I have to say I much prefer the pre-rendered graphics over the modern texture-mapped polygons. Good old Myst island just looks more lived-in, more welcoming, and less cartooney.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    I don't think any game has divided gamers more than Myst. There really is no middle ground; you either love it or hate it.
    I like it quite a bit, but I'm also quick to point out its failings...my memories are definitely positive, though (and that partly because I used the ingame hint system, heh, which usually ruins a game for me but in this case I spared myself time and aggravation).

I've never played the later Myst games, but it was clear that Riven didn't capture the public's attention the way the original had. That's probably telling.
    Not really. The game-buying public had pretty much gotten over the CD-ROM adventure game, and were moving onto different types of games. Riven was clearly the superior game in every way - especially in graphics and presentation of the story - the original featured game developers hamming it up in front of the cameras, which gets grating after a while.

Achenar and Atrus, by the way, were both done by Rand Miller, and the lack of range shows a bit (poor Rand, being forced to do a role he ended up not really caring for...he was good as Atrus, though.

And I have to say I much prefer the pre-rendered graphics over the modern texture-mapped polygons. Good old Myst island just looks more lived-in, more welcoming, and less cartooney.
    Myst looks pretty awful compared to any other entry in the series, including realMyst or Uru - which don't look cartoony at all, but actually quite convincing. Uru in particular is amazing to behold, and I've no doubt Myst V is even more so.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind before even posting here. So why bother asking us?
    No. I made up my mind (post 2) after I asked the question (post 1). My apologies for bothering you.
    After reading reviews and coming to the conclusion that it's "not exciting" (post 1) sounds like you've got your mind made up to me. Whatever.
    ME---><---YOU

Please stop beating me. It's just a game - not worth fighting over.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It sounds like you've already made up your mind before even posting here. So why bother asking us?
    No. I made up my mind (post 2) after I asked the question (post 1). My apologies for bothering you.
    After reading reviews and coming to the conclusion that it's "not exciting" (post 1) sounds like you've got your mind made up to me. Whatever.
    ME---><---YOU

Please stop beating me. It's just a game - not worth fighting over.
    I can see where he's coming from, though. From time to time we get these posts where someone asks "should I get game X for $Y?", where $Y is often 5 or 10 bucks. I guess it's all relative but to me if I'm remotely interested in a game I feel pretty secure letting go of 5 or 10 dollars without asking 1000 people for advice. My answer to these questions is usually "Go crazy and spend the money". If your topic was "Is Myst for PSX any good" or something like that I don't think anyone would have had a problem with it.

For gaming purposes you should be able to find the PC version at any local used game store or flea market for a pittance. For collecting purposes, I don't think that game's worth $20 but your just a visit away from the online guide to finding out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: MYST PS1 - to waste $20 or not?

Myst - "A puzzle game" says the reviews. In my mind I see a pretty 256-color of Activision's Mindshadow - not exciting - and yet it's one of the best selling pc games.

To buy or not to buy?
    Good thing i saw this thread, it reminds me that today
    im supposed to look for this game for a friend that asked for it 2 days ago.
    Some people really love this game.
    Im a Willy Beamish fan myself.
    "Never fall in love with your videogames"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see where he's coming from.
    Sorry.

Won't do it again.

You scared me silent.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can see where he's coming from.
    Sorry.

Won't do it again.

You scared me silent.
    Yeah but did I scare you straight?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not unrelated, but there's a rather underlooked title in the PS point/click genre known as Ark of Time. I was going to get it, but I guess not.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."