Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Microsoft's advertising department smoking crack?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Microsoft's advertising department smoking crack?!

http://gametrailers.com/player.php?i...=game&type=mov

Here's an example of the ads for the Xbox 360 they've been showing. A bunch of black people jumping rope, and for the last second or two at the end, an Xbox 360 logo pops up and it says "Jump In".

Now, what the hell is up with this commercial? How is anyone who's never heard of it going to know it's a fucking game system? And why are people jumping rope for 99% of the commercial instead of the system actually being shown?! Why not show the Xbox 360's interface, the controller, some games being played with flashy graphics, and, more importantly, at the end: A picture of the system. Its logo. The release date. And last, but not least, "video game entertainment system" or something there so people will actually know what the hell it is?!

Jesus Christ, I'm still in high school and I could come up with a better advertisement than these idiots who went to college and came up with these shit commercials.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I wouldn't say they're smoking crack. I admit the ad doesn't make a lot of sense but it's just one of those bizare generic mass market ads. I uess the point is something like, no matter who you are it's for you or some bizaree metaphor like that. Honestly this kind of marketing never really made much sense to me either.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to admit that was some pretty impressive acrobatics there. But yeah, the Japanese commercial is so much better.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Doesn't the launch commercial for the PSP show a black guy walking down the street while morphing into different VG characters and then sitting down at the bus stop?

Not much better I would say.

Chris

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I called and asked, they said no.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector
    You have to admit that was some pretty impressive acrobatics there. But yeah, the Japanese commercial is so much better.
    this was one lame commercial... wtf?!?!? to me it made me wanna get outside and play not go and buy an x360...

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was referring to the Japanese launch commercial in the second sentence. Wait until the US one is over, then the Japanese one will start playing. EDIT: In the link provided above.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's supposed to get your attention and get people talking. It's working.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is Microsoft's advertising department smoking crack?!

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=8328&pl=game&type=mov

Here's an example of the ads for the Xbox 360 they've been showing. A bunch of black people jumping rope, and for the last second or two at the end, an Xbox 360 logo pops up and it says "Jump In".

Now, what the hell is up with this commercial? How is anyone who's never heard of it going to know it's a fucking game system? And why are people jumping rope for 99% of the commercial instead of the system actually being shown?! Why not show the Xbox 360's interface, the controller, some games being played with flashy graphics, and, more importantly, at the end: A picture of the system. Its logo. The release date. And last, but not least, "video game entertainment system" or something there so people will actually know what the hell it is?!

Jesus Christ, I'm still in high school and I could come up with a better advertisement than these idiots who went to college and came up with these shit commercials.
    The advertisement did exactly what it was suppose to do. get people talking. Advertising agency like to play with peoples mind good and bad. Just look at the quiznos sponge monkeys they were dead mice advertising a food. Some people like me laughed my ass off others were repulsed but it got people talking. I saw that same commercial but what I took from it was all people interacting and having fun. The jump rope represented the xbox and its network. Being a gamer I look for the screenshot of the games and the machine.

I think Microsoft is going light on the advertisment because it know it is in for the long haul and they under estimated the what is involved when you have a worldwide launch and supply will be short.

One more thing there was more than black... people jumping rope in the commercial. One guy even looked like Ben Wallace.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least they have the actual NAME OF THE PRODUCT THEY ARE ADVERTISING shit many commercials dont even have that

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Doesn't the launch commercial for the PSP show a black guy walking down the street while morphing into different VG characters and then sitting down at the bus stop?

Not much better I would say.

Chris
    But at least they gave you the idea it was a game console, and I like the song whatever it was. These ads don't do that.

The advertisement did exactly what it was suppose to do. get people talking.
    No, it has US talking, and we already know what the product is. This doens't introduce a product to the masses in any way shape or form.

There's a second one too featuring a huge water balloon fight that follows the same path. Awful, all the way.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait.. did i just sit thru a commercial to view another commercial? do i really pay for this thing?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't even know the release date of the 360. Marketing isn't doing their job.

The Dreamcast, however... I have that date burned into my mind where it will remain for the rest of my life. THat was good advertising.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxMe2NiKxX
    I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't even know the release date of the 360. Marketing isn't doing their job.

The Dreamcast, however... I have that date burned into my mind where it will remain for the rest of my life. THat was good advertising.
    Of course Dreamcast having the easiest release date to remember (US Launch). 9/9/99, what a wonderful day, i remember it clearly...*starts to drool*
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It called advertising to their target audience: young, black males.

(I'm not trying to be racist here) but almost every black person I have spoken with that is into gaming has an X-Box.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biff_McFresh
    Quote Originally Posted by XxMe2NiKxX

Of course Dreamcast having the easiest release date to remember (US Launch). 9/9/99, what a wonderful day, i remember it clearly...*starts to drool*
    I remember the first 18 hours of 9/9/99 very well, starting with, at 12:04 AM (I was fourth in line), getting my Dreamcast after waiting in and forming a very, very long line. The next 17 hours were spent playing Sonic Adventure. The rest are a haze. Much alcohol was consumed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is Microsoft's advertising department smoking crack?!

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=8328&pl=game&type=mov

Its supposed to get your attention so it can throw the logo in your face . And it apparently worked lol.
    "Never fall in love with your videogames"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly! It's creating a buzz that gets everyone talking about it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt this commercial is going to get any attention from anyone, other than a few elite gamers (us), who already know what the product is.

How is us talking about it on a forum on the Internet going to help sell the product? We already know about the product. The people who don't (i.e. mainstream newbies) won't know or care what this commercial is about, and it will seem like any other crappy commercial on TV to be ignored, so it is ultimately a waste of money.

This won't get anyone talking, besides a few Internet nerds mentioning Microsoft's shitty advertising department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

It looks like a bad Nike ad until the Xbox360 logo pops up at the end. It certainly didn't endear me to their product, and I'm planning on getting one in the next 3-6 months. I know that they probably don't want to run too many system-specific ads due to the probable shortage of units, but they could be showing off the games!