Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: DS VS. PSP - Ownage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    The only thing more annoying than a guy like me handing out asshole insults on the 'net is a guy like you handing out asshole etiquette tips on the 'net.
    Well, at least you admitted to the nature of your insults. Good luck fighting the good fight, chief.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Oh no, the sky is falling. The top PSP game sold FOURTEEN times more than the nearest DS game ... Here's the Japanese top ten software sellers for last week (only posted to show numerous earlier posters how ridiculous it is to base arguments off of weekly Japanese sales, as obviously this represents a drop-in-the-bucket long term):

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 705,281 units sold last week (new entry / Capcom, PSP)
    2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 80,002 (new entry / Alchemist, PS2)
    3. Fire Emblem: Dawn Goddess - 75,359 (new entry / Nintendo, Wii)
    4. Sim City DS - 50,826 (new entry / EA, DS)
    5. Professor Layton and the Mysterious Town - 49,979 (186,716 sales to date / Level-5, DS)
    6. Wii Sports - 47,503 (1,090,736 / Nintendo, Wii)
    7. Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX - 45,792 (new entry / Tomy, Wii)
    8. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 40,507 (1,174,576 / SquareEnix, DS)
    9. Wii Play - 35,811 (944,586 / Nintendo, Wii)
    10. Picross DS - 26,693 (183,357 / Nintendo, DS)

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand people's gripes with the PSP and the controls, I have a PSP and a DS and the controls are fine with both. I keep hearing the same things, about the d-pad and the analog stick, but both systems have their faults and their dead pixels.

now to the graphics, you take any game that came out on the PSP and the DS and put em side by side and the PSP wins hands down. take burnout on the PSP and DS the DS Version looks like crap while the PSP version is a great rendition of the console version. the PSP is getting a bad rap for a simple reason, fanboys. Take a look at the top two selling systems on the market right now, the DS and the Wii, now while I have both and enjoy both, I can see them for what they are, the Wii, although fun, is a glorified Gamecube with some nifty new add-ons... and the DS while likewise fun, it is nothing more than a portable 64 with touch screen capabilities. The PSP while a step up from the psx and a bit behind the PS2, has games out there that are incredible ports, like burnout, need for speed, smackdown vs. raw, twisted metal, syphon filter, Socom, etc. This is a dig at the DS and Wii, basically because they constantly undershoot, they put out a system that is inferior to its competition, yet they rely on the fanboys of the world to help them sell units. The gba, was a glorified snes, the gb, a black and white nes, the pocket a color nes. Nintendo makes good games, but their latest entries in the console war, are behind the times in my book. They are fun for what they are but the real ground breaker is the PSP to me, it takes a console game and brings it damn close to perfection in a handheld. But this is just my opinion.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the industry is decided by fanboys and supposingly everyone is a Nintendo fanboy then why didn't the N64 win the war over the PSx?

Personally I appreciate Nintendo's current take on gaming. They've said that there really have no interest in fighting an arms race because all it does is give us the same old same old just with prettier graphics and higher prices. Personally I really have no interest in playing the same game over and over again with noting more than a fresh coat of paint. Sure, games on the Wii and DS may not be as pretty as the PS3 and PSP but they also don't cost nearly as much to make so developers are more willing to take chances on new game styles rather than only make sequels or cookie cutter games. Superior technology doesn't necesarily equal fun.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well said, that's how I feel about it also..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

In short, I like them both. I however think that the PSP like the PS3 has not marketed the system well at all. Also, the types of games the console has been advertised to play is poor. The PSP in short is a portable PS2 that can all sorts of multimedia things. The problem is the two things that have plagued other consoles going up the mighty Nintendo. 1. Price 2. Battery life There is a 70 dollar difference between the two with alot less battery life. These are two problems that Sony needs to address if they want a bigger piece of the pie. I feel the games are there if you look for them, the problem is the damage might already have been done. The Sony of today reminds me of the Nintendo of the 90s....too prideful to admit when the direction of something is going south.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spoken like a true nintendo fanboys. The reason why Sony has sold millions is because they got the money and sure know how to use it well when marketing their product.

Sony's machines has and will compile the largest and diverse libraries known to mankind.

Back in the 90's Nintendo tried to conquer and divide but lost to Sony.
    Last edited by attilathehun; 03-15-2007 at 01:18 AM.
    VF & SF The Originals!

KOF & Tekken The Clones!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by attilathehun View Post
    Spoken like a true nintendo fanboys.
    It's my experience that people resort to name calling when they have nothing of value to say. It's not "fanboys" that are driving DS sales, it's the casual gamers that have been deserted by Sony and Microsoft.
    Last edited by GillianSeed; 03-15-2007 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    It's my experience that people resort to name calling when they have nothing of value to say. It's not "fanboys" that are driving DS sales, it's the casual gamers that have been deserted by Sony and Microsoft.
    then what is driving the Wii sales? and before you say innovation, the PS3/360 have that, the gimmick of the wii is its controller, I know that, throw that out the window and play the games, the wii is a gamecube with a gimicky controller. The DS is a glorified n64 with a touch screen, the psp, while like I said maybe a ps1-ps2, middle of the road machine, it is hands down a better and superior console. the controls aren't as bad as people make them out to be, I don't get that statement, I have played everything from dynasty warriors to gta, to ghost rider and all in between, and never once has the dpad or analog stick failed me, or caused me angst. I don't see the issue there. Now, before this gets to be a flame war, I want to be clear that my opinion is based on sheer tech specs, and thats it. There is a fun factor and a human factor involved as well, thats where any "fan-boyism" can be seen, but that's not what we're here to discuss. The PSP is a more powerful system, the DS was under achieved by Nintendo in my opinion, same with the Wii, While I enjoy both, I am dismayed at where N, stops as far as pushing the envelope, while the PSP attempts to give you PS2 calibur games, the DS take you back to the 64 with diddy kong. and games that while innovative yes with the touch screen, the DS is a step back, in time, while the PSP is going forward. Anyway, I don't condon calling people "Fanboys", hell we're all fanboys. Anyway I have ranted enough.
    Last edited by segagamer4life; 03-15-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not "fanboys" that are driving DS sales, it's the casual gamers that have been deserted by Sony and Microsoft.
    How can a company desert the consumers? Its the other way around, its the consumers that desert the companies.

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life View Post
    then what is driving the Wii sales?
    The new way of playing and Zelda:TP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    How can a company desert the consumers? Its the other way around, its the consumers that desert the companies.

The new way of playing and Zelda:TP.
    true... but take the controller away and the Wii, is a gamecube....

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

true... but take the controller away and the Wii, is a gamecube....
    Well.. Wii is build on GC, thats why they can obtain 100% backward compability. Just disable some hardware at its 100% like a GC But its more powerful, got more features etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. Wii is build on GC, thats why they can obtain 100% backward compability. Just disable some hardware at its 100% like a GC But its more powerful, got more features etc.

you're right, I forget the wii "abilities", my bad... good point :-)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can a company desert the consumers?
    By targeting a very narrow audience, the Gears of War/GTA crowd. The average Joe who doesn't play games 5 hours each night, who isn't interested in FPS games, has been left out in the cold for some time now.

My dad has been wanting to buy a console for a long time, I even let him borrow my Xbox, but it was just too complicated for him. Most folks don't have the time or inclination to memorize complex control schemes -- progress has been measured by the amount of buttons and sticks you can cram onto a controller.

DS and Wii controls, on the other hand, are very intuitive and easy to pick up and play. And there are games that target a broader audience: Clubhouse Games, Wii Sports, etc.
    Last edited by GillianSeed; 03-15-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DS is a glorified n64 with a touch screen, the psp, while like I said maybe a ps1-ps2, middle of the road machine, it is hands down a better and superior console.
    By that logic, the Jaguar was superior to the Genesis -- it was more powerful, and that's all the counts right?

I have played everything from dynasty warriors to gta, to ghost rider and all in between
    If playing a bunch of PS2 ports is what floats your boat, then that's great. But judging by the sales figures, it would appear that the public at large finds the DS to have the more compelling software library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By that logic, the Jaguar was superior to the Genesis -- it was more powerful, and that's all the counts right?

If playing a bunch of PS2 ports is what floats your boat, then that's great. But judging by the sales figures, it would appear that the public at large finds the DS to have the more compelling software library.

1. Yes, by the same logic the gamegear was superior to the GB.. as was the Lynx. Those systems failed due to pricing issues, such as the Jaguar and the Jaguar was helped along by the megar games that were released for it.

2. Ports are fine, and both systems have them, "compelling software" isn't exclusive to the DS. The DS has the potential to be a great machine, that plays dual screened GBA (looking) games or n64 left overs. The fanboys have spoken both with the DS and the Wii, they were dormant, while the n64 died and some even jumped ship to the Sony raft, but they are back, and they are letting their "dollars" be heard.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By targeting a very narrow audience, the Gears of War/GTA crowd. The average Joe who doesn't play games 5 hours each night, who isn't interested in FPS games, has been left out in the cold for some time now.

My dad has been wanting to buy a console for a long time, I even let him borrow my Xbox, but it was just too complicated for him. Most folks don't have the time or inclination to memorize complex control schemes -- progress has been measured by the amount of buttons and sticks you can cram onto a controller.

DS and Wii controls, on the other hand, are very intuitive and easy to pick up and play.
    With the 8000 PS2 games, im sure there are something for everyone There are so many "unknown" games out there so many think that i.e Xbox is for hardcore gamers only. PS2 is also a very family-based console.

I know many say that the new consoles are too complicated for "old" people. Sure, the controllers have gotten more buttons, but saying that a 50 year old person arent able to play new consoles isnt right. They get scared, pick the controller up for 2 minutes and say "hey, too many buttons, im confused" then never touch it again. A person with 50 years of life experience should be able to control more than 3-4 buttons hehe.

I know the DS and Wii is easier to play with, but with some practice im sure a 80 year old guy can use a PS2/Xbox/GC controller. It also depends alot on how interested the person is willing to learn/want to play of course.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-15-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

then what is driving the Wii sales? and before you say innovation, the PS3/360 have that, the gimmick of the wii is its controller, I know that, throw that out the window and play the games, the wii is a gamecube with a gimicky controller.
    Personally I look at a console that has nothing new to offer other than prettier graphics as being a gimmick as well. I can't tell you if the Wii and it's controller will be a success or not but I give Nintendo credit for having the balls to try something different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Yes, by the same logic the gamegear was superior to the GB.. as was the Lynx. Those systems failed due to pricing issues
    Would those be the same pricing issues that the PSP and PS3 currently have now?

The fanboys have spoken both with the DS and the Wii, they were dormant, while the n64 died and some even jumped ship to the Sony raft, but they are back, and they are letting their "dollars" be heard.
    If they were true fanbous as you claim they wouldn't have abandoned the N64 for the Playstation. Perhaps it wasn't just a fanbot issue, perhaps they were just gamer who went with what they felt was the better system at the time. And perhaps they've done the same thing this generation as well

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look it's not some personal attack. There's no crime in being a fanboy. I call it the way I see it. I used to be a very bad fanboy from 95-97.

The psp was launched like 2 years ago and they have sold at least 20 million units and it's in disc format. It isn't like buying the sega saturn in 1995 with 2 games and controllers for $400 just see the shelf life dry up in a couple of years. The psp is staying.

The reality of the situation is if it is wasn't for the big $ that Sony has to throw around you would all be still playing hand held nintendos that you can't even see the games you're playing. Oh that's just awsome because the battery life lasts longer.

I've played gb, gbc, gba, gba sp, ds, gg, nomad and psp.

I have ds but it's properly lit or I wouldn't of got one. The only advantage of the ds is that like the gba sp it's clam shell design make's the most conveniant to carry around. That's the only positive innovation that nintendo ever brought to the table in the hand held market.
    VF & SF The Originals!

KOF & Tekken The Clones!