Thread: RF Switch Woes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RF Switch Woes

I currently have 9 consoles. Not a lot by collector's standards but in the very limited storage space I have it's a lot.

Now I don't have a TV with AV inputs, so for a long time every system was hooked up by RF switches, or plugged into my VCR. This was back when I only had a couple systems so it wasn't a big problem. But eventually I ended up getting one of those 5-system selectors so I could plug multiple AVs into my TV at once. This way, I could get rid of the RFs for my PS2, GC and N64. Once I got an SNES, since the SNES can use the same AVs as the N64 and GC I just bought a replacement GC AV and used that. However, I still have RFs for NES, Genesis, Saturn and DreamCast. Due to the fact that 4 RFs cause the cable picture to get pretty fuzzy, I only had the NES and DC hooked up for the longest time but the other night I had a long-overdue untangling of the wires behind my TV and re-hooked up everything and decided to just deal with the fuzzy and hook up all four RFs so all 9 of my consoles are hooked up. The fuzzy picture isn't that bad except it's more noticable when the lights are off or the screen goes dark. I am planning to get AVs for those 4 systems eventually, but the idea of doing 4 separate orders and paying 4 separate shipping charges for such little products isn't appealing and I keep forgetting to ask when I go to GameZone. But does anyone know of any quick fixes for my fuzzy RFness until I get the AVs? I asked my non-gaming friend and she said "get a second TV" which would be nice if I had the fricking space or an extra outlet! I don't wanna have to leave systems unhooked again because that's the main reason I haven't played my Genny in so long, too lazy to hook up the RF. Also if anyone can sell 2 or more of the AVs I need in one sale or know anywhere where I can find lots for hook ups for various systems or a website with an add to cart feature that would carry accessories like that for those systems. The systems I need AVs for are NES, Genesis, Saturn and DreamCast.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on whethr you could hook two of the aforementioned 5-system selectors to each other for double the systems you can hook up to your TV at once. My particular model (made by Pelican) has both AV and RF outs to hook the selector to the TV and I use the RF since I don't have AV inputs on my TV. Could I theoretically hook a second selector into the AV out? Would that even work right? I doubt plugging the selector into any of the inputs designated for systems would work. If anyone knows of anyone who actually got this to work or any insight on AV inputs and outputs that will confirm whether or not it's feasable would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, in the 2 years I've had my XBox, it's been plugged in through my VCR because when I plugged it into the 5 system selector, I'd have that horrible loud buzzing whenever there was a lot of white or other brightness to the scrreen and it got to the point where I couldn't enjoy games or movies anymore. I wondered if it was the input I had it plugged into (cuz it had been the last) I tried the 4 other inputs and I still got that buzz. Out of curiosity I tested it through the VCR and no buzz whatsoever, so the XB has been hooked up through my VCR ever since. But I don't want my XB hooked up through my VCR because everytime I want to play an XB game or watch a DVD I have to go Menu, Setup, Source, Aux 2, Exit. Does anyone know what causes that buzzing on bright screens and why it only does it when my XB is hooked up through the 5-system selector and not through my VCR and why the other 4 systems hooked through the selector don't have that problem and how to rectify it?

I would appreciate any input anyone has about my hookup woes. It's been a while since I gave it any thought, since it was the first time in almost a year that I untangled and rehooked everything and remembered what a pain having 4 RFs is and the problem with the XB. I'm not completely ignorant about hooking systems up, obviously, if I got 9 in one TV, but the details about how AVs and RFs work picture and soundwise and other technical info elude me so I don't know how to solve my picture and sound problems.

Thanks to anyone who read this stupidly long post. I appreciate anything anyone can do.

(God I can't wait to get my own house and set up an actual gameroom)
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

you could hook two of the aforementioned 5-system selectors to each other for double the systems you can hook up to your TV at once.
    Yep. Run a cable out from box 1 and put it into one of the inputs on box 2. You'll need to select the port you went into on box 2 to use box 1. I've done this multiple times and the picture quality barely takes a hit.

And a new TV mighe be in your future too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, good. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use up an input for the 2nd selector, but 9 inputs is better than 5.

I wish I could afford a new TV . But, the only bad thing about my TV is that it doesn't have AV inputs. It was made in 2000, one of the last years where they still made TVs w/o them. Now it's standard.

As soon as I get my own place, though, brand-new big-screen TV, no excuses!
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random