Thread: Final Fantasy XI PS2 version questions.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy XI PS2 version questions.

Im thinking of getting the ps2 version, namely because my PC is horribly choppy and I cant even leave the footsteps or weather on in order to play.

How is this version?
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

First Word, Grainy.

The graphics don't compare with the PC version surprise , surprise there. I play the ps2 version over the pc version because its on a bigger screen and for the fact I have a controller on the ps2 version (to cheap to buy a PC gamepad). It plays pretty much just the same as the PC, as long as you have a USB keyboard. The keyboard is a must have for you to play it. What I'm waiting for is the 360 version, as it will probably look as good as the PC version. I just hope that the user fees get incorporated into the xbox live cost.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 version framerate is nice and consistant. The UI was designed for the PS2 controller and it shows. I also had both the PC and PS2 version and overwhelmingly preferred the PS2 version. I used the Logitech compact keyboard, which worked well.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also heard that the PS2 version is more stable. I've got a cheap keyboardfor PS2 that I have to unplug and and replug for the PS2 to recognize it.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    I also heard that the PS2 version is more stable. I've got a cheap keyboardfor PS2 that I have to unplug and and replug for the PS2 to recognize it.

I never had a stablilty problem in either version, but I do prefer the ps2 version.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played on the PS2 for a very long time. I used a Logitec keyboard/controller hybrid and it ruled. The PS2 version is VERY smooth and fast....there's no lag whether you're PTing with PC or PS2. I was a white mage (WHM with BLM sub) and threw some fairly hefty spells around. The graphics are "good enough to get the job done". It was a great game to play. This was before gil-sellers and all of that shit arrived. It just got too hard to find the "right" PT of 6 all of the time, although being a WHM, I was always in demand. If you want to find "work" later on in the game, I highly recommend going for WHM/BLM combo. It takes steely nerves to play it, but it's never boring.

Sounds funny, but sometimes I really miss those early days of PTing at the Dunes, then the fear of Qu'fim. Good times indeed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    I played on the PS2 for a very long time. I used a Logitec keyboard/controller hybrid and it ruled. The PS2 version is VERY smooth and fast....there's no lag whether you're PTing with PC or PS2. I was a white mage (WHM with BLM sub) and threw some fairly hefty spells around. The graphics are "good enough to get the job done". It was a great game to play. This was before gil-sellers and all of that shit arrived. It just got too hard to find the "right" PT of 6 all of the time, although being a WHM, I was always in demand. If you want to find "work" later on in the game, I highly recommend going for WHM/BLM combo. It takes steely nerves to play it, but it's never boring.

Sounds funny, but sometimes I really miss those early days of PTing at the Dunes, then the fear of Qu'fim. Good times indeed.
    I played WHM/RDM till 34 the last time I played (a year ago) steely nevers, a little more hp than WHM/BLM and it was plenty of fun. Sometimes much better than playing RDM. I did get a better feel for the support position by subbing whm or rdm than blm.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing
    The PS2 version framerate is nice and consistant. The UI was designed for the PS2 controller and it shows. I also had both the PC and PS2 version and overwhelmingly preferred the PS2 version. I used the Logitech compact keyboard, which worked well.
    Are all the keyboard shortcuts the same on PS2?
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, pretty much. You custom make them on PS2 anyways, so if you want them to be as on a PC, spend 20 minutes and you've got it.

Now enough of this FFXI talk....it makes me want to play and my PS2 is long gone. Go and make a Taru Monk......just for giggles. (I had a great "second character" Taru Thief named Penny. The little blond female with the twin ponytails. Cute as a button and kicked major ass ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tritium
    Are all the keyboard shortcuts the same on PS2?
    The keyboard and gamepad controls and setup are identical. The only annoyance is if you actively play both on your PC and the PS2, since your hotkeys are stored locally and you have to remake them on each system.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG I got mines in today from ebay. I'll put up my opnions shortly ... Exciting.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My only beef with the PS2 HDD (other than there being virtually no games that use it) is it forces the PS2 to boot from it instead of the native firmware. This greatly increases boot time. Also, the HDD is loaded with an older firmware that doesn't support some features of the model 5xxxx PS2 remote.