Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 360 on launch without a pre-order,need camp advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting a 360 on launch without a pre-order,need camp advice

Well I didnt pre order a 360 simply because I was not sure if I wanted one, and I did try pre ordering one months ago but I was already told I was too late.

Anyway, I have 3 choices.

I have a best buy near me who (I dont believe they will do a midnight opening) took pre orders I believe for reward zone members (IDK how they are handling the launch honestly) but I would imagine BB will get a ton in.

I have a new target that opened up this summer, and they are taking no pre orders and are opening up at 8:00am.

There is also a wal mart (I dont think it is 24/7) by me that I assume are not taking pre orders. I have never gone to wal mart for my systems in the past, so IDK what to expect.

But my main concern is what time to arrive. I really would like to avoid as much time as I can out on the cold cement of late november. I have never camped system launches before besides like 2 hours for the DS and 2 hours for the gamecube (At a now closed KB toys). So how long ahead of time should I arrive to make sure I get a $400 system? I was thinking 5 hours is enough, but I am unsure if that is early enough to beat out others to making sure I get the $400 system as I am unsure how much these stores are receiving.

Have any of you camped the PS2, XBOX, or GC at retailers like BB, Target, or Walmart and can offer me some advice on timing?

Thanks alot.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Arrive as early as you can the day before and take your DS, you'll need it.

Bring coffee or have someone bring it to you.

Most important of call call ahead and confirm that they'll have stock for walk-ins. You don't want to wait over night and find out the won't sell it to you.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Go early, bring something to do and hope some place has them for non-preorder customers.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went an hour early, and I was the first one there. Since it is the Xbox 360, I would go 2-3 hours earlier, maybe even earlier.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm im going with my friend, now seeing as how like the first 3 shipments at every store is gone , there will most likely be a big turn out, so we are going to do a drive by around midnight to see if a line is gathering, and hang out in the vicinity or so untill we catch a line forming
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the store is opened at 8:00am Tuesday. I would say at least be there at a minimum on Monday at close. When I was in New jersey at the last xbox launch people was camped out days in advance. Not to mention the times square fiasco.

I am like alot of other people excited but curious. They are alot of johnny come latelys who now since they didn't preorder wants a 360 bad this is not including the people who live for the launch sleepovers.

I haven't pushed the hype maching button yet wait until this weekend.is over. Don't think you are going to cruz 2 to three or five hours before the doors open and be the in the first 20 that wont happen.

Start cruzing the target locations late sunday to see if you see anything out of the ordinary.

I rememeber one launch it was sold cold I swear the devil did it on purpose it was like almost freezing. I was thinking let me swing buy the night before the doors opened just to plan my attack it is freezing no ones gonna be there. I drove by at least a hundred people were already there freezing there ass off drinking coffee and telling stories. It is an experiance you will always remember. It could be worse the systems could be released in January.
    neo geo system

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do what Mr Bean did. Get a inflatable doll, blow it up. Cover it with blanket, jacket whatever. Set up a camp there with it. Leave it there overnight. Come back next morning.

Seriously, try it. It may work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have a Meijer store near them (primarily in Michigan)? I know they are open 24 hours and was thinking about seeing if they are going to be selling them at Midnight.

My other option is to find a Target in less trafficked area and camp out there, but I don't see tehm getting many in.

Anyone know when the stores are supposed to receive their stock? Was thinking about calling around to see who would have the most # available and try my luck using that approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Well I'm not expecting to many people to be waiting outside of my Wal-Mart. Do you by any chance have any friends or family who pass by any of those places early? Well I told my dad to call me at 4 am when he passes by the walmart to let me know if there are any people camping. If so I'll leave right away, if not I'll wait until 5 or 6.
    Oh yeah by gathering info. I came to the conclusion that Best buys are getting the most, but are also expecting the most customers. Target and walmart are expecting around 30 each, and I dont know the ratio of $400 to $300 systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose it varies from area to area. My friend is getting his 360 at the Flagship EB at citywalk at midnight, then I think a few of us are gonna go shortly after and camp outside of Target around 6 hours before opening. We'll be well prepared though, DSs, PSPs, grub, etc etc.

Perhaps we are going a tad earlier than needed, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Plus it will be sorta fun camping out, and it's not terribly cold in Los Angeles county, well....ever.

Best of luck campers!
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Biff_McFresh
    I suppose it varies from area to area. My friend is getting his 360 at the Flagship EB at citywalk at midnight, then I think a few of us are gonna go shortly after and camp outside of Target around 6 hours before opening. We'll be well prepared though, DSs, PSPs, grub, etc etc.

Perhaps we are going a tad earlier than needed, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Plus it will be sorta fun camping out, and it's not terribly cold in Los Angeles county, well....ever.

Best of luck campers!
    Not at all, I was down there on Saturday, and it's even hottter in the I.E.!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff_McFresh

Best of luck campers!
    Not at all, I was down there on Saturday, and it's even hottter in the I.E.!
    I.E.....yikes, it's always 10-15 degrees warmer there it seems.
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well , since my pre-order looks like it is going to fall through, i'm going to be in the same spot pdorr. So if my pre-order falls through on my system, this is my game plan.

I'm dressing warm since on the 22nd I'm going to be in the Greenbay area. I'll have plenty of warm clothes since I'm going to the football game on monday night. I'm going to bring my DS along for entertainment, I'm also going to try to bring one of my friends along, since he is also going to the game with me. I'm planning on bestbuy or circuit city depending on the lines that are at each place. I'm figuring 4-5 hrs ahead of time will be enough to get one, thats less time then I spend for a ps2 btw. Granted I'll be in wisconsin this time instead of minneapolis.

I'm hoping that my pre-order still happens, I'm hoping I can get a final answer tomorrow. If not, I'll be sitting in the cold. The way the forecast is shaping up, the temp will be in the low 30's.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the deal. If you have a Target store near you, this is what you do.

1. They open up at 8am, but at 6am an employee will come outside and hand out tickets to the people in line. They will hand out tickets for however many systems they have. They will probably hand out core tickets and premium tickets.

2. So you best bet it to arrive prior to 6am.

3. Now, the big question, is how much earlier than 6am. Well, I would say 5am. 5am gives you a 3 hour wait, which isn't that bad. Go to Target the day before and try to talk to a manager to get an "exact" count of how many core systems and how many premium systems they have. Then when you arrive at 5am and see who's in line, you can make an educated guess as to whether you should stay in line for an hour and see what ticket you get at 6am, or leave.

The other option is Costco. Costco is going to have a really good bundle for $479.99 . You get Kameo with it, but actually you also get a extra controller and a play n charge kit. So it's a pretty damn good deal.

Again, go to Costco the night before and find out how many premiums and how many cores they are getting.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the deal. If you have a Target store near you, this is what you do.

1. They open up at 8am, but at 6am an employee will come outside and hand out tickets to the people in line. They will hand out tickets for however many systems they have. They will probably hand out core tickets and premium tickets.

2. So you best bet it to arrive prior to 6am.

3. Now, the big question, is how much earlier than 6am. Well, I would say 5am. 5am gives you a 3 hour wait, which isn't that bad. Go to Target the day before and try to talk to a manager to get an "exact" count of how many core systems and how many premium systems they have. Then when you arrive at 5am and see who's in line, you can make an educated guess as to whether you should stay in line for an hour and see what ticket you get at 6am, or leave.

The other option is Costco. Costco is going to have a really good bundle for $479.99 . You get Kameo with it, but actually you also get a extra controller and a play n charge kit. So it's a pretty damn good deal.

Again, go to Costco the night before and find out how many premiums and how many cores they are getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i didnt read through the post so i may be posting what someone else did

i dont realy think it will be hard to get a 360 -- personlay i would go to stores like circuit city, walmart, target , best buy, toys R us in their opening hour

id start with circuit city - since ive observed that most people will hit best buy, walmart, toys r us first then target and lastly circuit city -- this is from people ive spoken too and my own experience of finding a console on launch day at circuit city.

also if i was realy paranoid i would camp out on the web and as soon as the 360 got listed i would order it
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I waited outside all night (unsuccessfully) for a PS2 on launch day.

I actually got on TV in Pittsburgh when I was in line. They interviewed a bunch of us.

My advice to you:

Get there early.

Go with a friend, that way you can each hold each other's place in line. If you think people aren't petty enough to be snagging your line space, you're sadly mistaken.

Bring a ton of RedBull or Rockstar or something like that.

Bring portable games, and lots of them, you'll get hella bored.

I brought a lot of snacks. I had one-and-one-half metric fuck-tons of Pocky, granola bars, etc... I ate all of it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure if this has been said yet or not, so you can shoot me if it has been, but with the cut in allocations, it looks as though most Best Buys, Targets, Walmarts, etc. will be getting a whopping 5 systems per store. The place that is getting the most (besides the preorders at other places) will be 8.

I mean this is still all just a bunch of talk, so if they get more, they get more, if they get less, they get less. Anyway, my big advice....get there early none the less!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed in the Wal-mart adds, that they will be seeling at 12:01, so check for a 24 hour one, this way if you go with another person, atleast you can take turn going in the store to get, food, use bathroom, and warm up.
    The Best Buy near the Rosevelte field mall (garden city one I think) seems to open at nidnight for everything. I got my Star Wars box set there at midnight.
    If the target way is true, that could be good, just to get a ticket, then sleep in the car till opening.
    Then again if you try, BB at midnight, and strike out, you can head down the medowbrook, to the Wal Mert on hempsted tpke( east medow) I think its a 24h one, if no luck there, go east to target on cornor of hemp tpk, and wantagh ave. should be early enouh to see line status. You can also spot the TRU , Best Buy, Game Stop(levittown) on the way.
    If no luck there, hop on the Seaford Oyster Bay, head south to sunrise, east to Circuit City (massapequa) with another TRU accross the parking lot.
    If That all fails, go accross the street to the sunrise Mall, Lots of chances under 1 roof, Wal-Mart,EB,Game Stop, Sears, KB, and theres the Game Stop across the street.

Then again you might live in queens or suffok and this might not help.

You think I drive around hitting these stores enough or what. this is almost my circle of game huntting (kinda of like a circle of life, just less singing) I just left out the south shore stuff and thrifts inbetween.

Come to think of it The Freeport TRU opens at midnight for a lot of stuff also. You might try them first, if not you can just hop on the medowbrook right there and go north th Best Buy ect. Then again not sure how much you want to hang out in freeport after hours.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fortunately (or unfortunately, on non-launch days), I typically get up at 4:00 AM everyday for work, so I'm planning on getting up a couple of hours early and hitting up my camping spot for the 7:00 AM open. Really, if it works, I'll camp out less time for this than I usually camp out to get football tickets every year.

My advice to you is this... If you're too early, you still get a box. If you're too late, you'll just catch a cold. What does an extra hour or two hurt? Get there as soon as you can. The craziest people usually win out in these situations.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector