Thread: DS Wireless with a closed-SSID network?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS Wireless with a closed-SSID network?

Alright, can someone with a wireless router and a DS test to see if the DS is able to connect to a closed-SSID network, i.e. one that does not broadcast the name as being an available network? Here on campus, all the access points are set up this way, along with no encryption, and I can't get the DS to connect to Nintendo at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumer...p_access_point

What do I do if Broadcast SSID is turned off on my router?

If the SSID Broadcast settings of your router are turned off, the Nintendo DS will not be able to detect your access point. There are two things you can do in this situation.

You can enter the name (also known as the SSID) of your access point into the settings of the Nintendo DS. Doing so will let the DS find your access point and connect with it.

To enter the SSID into the DS, go into the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup screen. Tap the Connection you would like to edit, and then Manual Setup. On the following screen, tap "Edit" on the SSID line, enter the SSID of your access point, and tap "OK." Tap "Test Connection" at the top of the screen to complete the setup.

You can turn the SSID Broadcast on. Doing so allows the Nintendo DS to detect your access point when you select "Search For An Access Point" in the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup screen. Once the connection is complete and the test connection is successful, you can turn the SSID Broadcasting back off. The Nintendo DS now knows the name of your access point and will still be able to locate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, yeah, but I wouldn't mind a few first-hand accounts of it actually working, just to be certain. ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That I wont be able to tell you until I head home later tonight. I just picked up mine now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm kind of wondering if it's got something to do with the fucked up authentication systems we use here on campus. I did the MAC address registration like normal for any other console, but I'm still getting nothing. In any case, I emailed the guy that's in charge of it for more info. That's one of the benefits of working at the help desk: access to the address book. ;-)