Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ORIGINAL Was Better!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Kart: everything was "nerf'ed" in the sequals. Anybody could easily learn to execute a multi-hit combo in battle mode because you could pick up a single item consistenting of multiple shells. In the original, you had to time your shots so that you could pick up another weapon to combo with. Red shells were also changed, so that dodging was less of an art form. In the original, they had strange and erratic behaviour that allowed for "Kung-Fu" like acrobatic escape moments, where you could outrun a red shell closing in on you and then twist and turn and hop around until the red shell "freaked out" and smashed into a wall. In the sequals, red shells basically just travel in a straight line towards their opponent, so dodging them is less fun. I could go on and on, but I must say that while graphics and sound have improved in the Mario Kart series... the gameplay has not.

Quake: Quakeworld is still the best Quake, at least in deathmatch. It is fast, furious, and has great small levels. The weapons are powerful, and the movement physics allow for lovely unrealistic Matrix-like acrobatic moves. THank god Id Software released the source code for Quake so that it could have its graphics slightly improved by the community, as well as the sound and other aspects such as adding a built-in server browser:
    http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

• Chrono Trigger
    • Act Raiser (as mentioned)
    • Super Monkey Ball
    • 1080 Snowboarding
    • Excitebike
    • X-Com: UFO Defense
    • Tetris

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default original is better

i cannot remember a sequel that is better than the original
    maybe suikoden compared to suikoden 2 but it all depends on what type of combat you like i guess

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tenchu! Tenchu! Tenchu!

The first one was just great. The second a travesty. 3 sequels later they still haven't gotten the music right.

3 and 4 were improvements over 2, but they still don't make up for how bad it was.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Definitely Super Mario Kart.
    This game has the most challenge, and the most fair too. If you did very well, you could really drive away from your opponents. In MK64 they just come back, but if you go slow they will drive slow too.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Secret of Mana > Legend of Mana.

The sequel wasn't anything like I expected and maybe that ruined it for me, but I found it confusing and boring. I hear that there is two more sequels in the works however, one for the DS the other for the PS2. Here's hoping.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoes23

The sequel wasn't anything like I expected and maybe that ruined it for me, but I found it confusing and boring. I hear that there is two more sequels in the works however, one for the DS the other for the PS2. Here's hoping.
    Seiken Densetsu 3 was the game that was released next in the "Mana" series. Of course, story-wise it is a prequal, but in many ways it is better than Secret of Mana. Personally, I love both. I still have yet to play the PSX sequal.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Quote Originally Posted by shoes23

Seiken Densetsu 3 was the game that was released next in the "Mana" series. Of course, story-wise it is a prequal, but in many ways it is better than Secret of Mana. Personally, I love both. I still have yet to play the PSX sequal.
    I've only played Seiken Densetsu 3 emulated so I can't say how much I would have enjoyed it had it been released domestically, but the PSX version played out like a twisted Dark Cloud, with no real "solid" storyline. I like my RPG's to have a concreate storyline, and in this game you plop down peices onto a map, travel to it, and perform whatever you need to do in it. Felt more like a bunch of side-quests to me rather than a full-bodied RPG.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to agree with Actraiser. I loved that game, and then they put out such a crappy sequel for it. The action side of things was a lot worse, and they took out the whole building aspect of the game altogether.

I think Mario Party is a great example of bad sequels. There's like 6 of them now, and not much has really changed since the first one was released. They have a few different mini-games, but thats about it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daytona USA was great on the Sat, and so was CCE on the Sat, but Daytona on the DC was just blagh at best, same story goes for Sega Rally.

Mega Man 2 was a great improvement over the original MM. However after 2 they slowly went down hill. MMX got the same way it peaked out at MMX4 and then went down hill but at a faster pace than the original MM.

It's probably personal taste but I really hated Zelda 2 and I still don't care much for it.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Act Raiser
    Blaster Master
    Alundra