Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just when you thought you had a great launch, EA screws up

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this does matter from a financial standpoint. Madden IS the system seller, like it or not. Many like to say that it's updated rosters and a new coat of paint but it's a helluva coat of paint this time around and I think gamers are gonna bite no matter what is left out.

As a fan of EA Sports, I could make the comparison of a certain praise heaped rpg that has had far too many incarnations to ever be called "Final" anything, but I digress. Not a flame - I like FF - I've just never understood why in a world of roughly 9,843 incarnations of Street Fighter Madden gets such a bad rep.

Still, I don't see this hurting MS too bad. I seem to remember some shoddy titles at the PSX onset (NBA Live 96 anyone?) but EA did right the ship. My guess is the same will happen here. Next year, EA Sports will be up and running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    EXACTLY.

You sports haters and EA haters out there may not care, but I (as a lover of both) DO care quite a lot. Considering how hyped that these EA sports versions were on the 360, to hear they are stripped down so severly is VERY bad news.

A LOT of casual gamers just buy sports games and if they don't know about this when they get their 360s they are going to be PISSED. And probaly at Microsoft, NOT EA, which is where the hate SHOULD go.

Actually, this is old news. I read a article somewhere on these 'stripped down' EA sports versions a month ago.
    Honestly I look at it as a total smack in the face to all of you hardcore sports fans who keep buying the same game year after year after year. How much more clearly can EA make it that they believe that that they can put out any old shit and people will still buy it?

Also, isn't it funny how the first real Madden since EA bought the NFL license (Madden 2006 was likely mostly designed by this time) turns out looking to be a stripped down shovelware release?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mregashu
    I seem to remember some shoddy titles at the PSX onset (NBA Live 96 anyone?) but EA did right the ship.

WTF

NBA Live '96 for Playstation was the freaking bomb! Man, that game had 2-D Sprites with 3-D backgrounds, and it was the shit as far as I was concerned. I remember that game very well. They took the Super Nintendo version of Live and put it on the Playstation with 3-D arenas and great sound, and it was awesome. I hated when they went to polygons. The first system to really handle polygons decently for sports games was the Dreamcast.

Sorry to get off topic, but I have very fond memories of NBA Live '96.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking

Honestly I look at it as a total smack in the face to all of you hardcore sports fans who keep buying the same game year after year after year. How much more clearly can EA make it that they believe that that they can put out any old shit and people will still buy it?

This isn't the same game year after year. The 360 is a new platform and they had to totally redesign the game. Finally, they were actually forced to create a new engine. It took the release of a new console to actually force Tiburon into creating a new game engine. So this is a totally new game, and believe me, sports game fans will be all over this puppy. (if it's any good)

The lack of the features and all that is a mild dissapointment compared to the joy that hardcore football fans will feel from experiencing the first next gen NFL game of this new round of consoles.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Yeah, I've TRIED to explain why I buy Madden each year, but you haters never get it. Poo on you all.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should clarify Anthony. I didn't necessarily mean shoddy as a game, just as far as being a serious jump from 16-bit to 32. Live 97, in hindsight, is ugly as all get out, but to me it felt like next gen. I think that's what you'll see here. Madden 2007 will feel like a TRUE next gen sports game. 2006 is kind of a necessary bridge b/c no system in it's right mind will ship without a football game available in the U.S.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mregashu
    I should clarify Anthony. I didn't necessarily mean shoddy as a game, just as far as being a serious jump from 16-bit to 32. Live 97, in hindsight, is ugly as all get out, but to me it felt like next gen. I think that's what you'll see here. Madden 2007 will feel like a TRUE next gen sports game. 2006 is kind of a necessary bridge b/c no system in it's right mind will ship without a football game available in the U.S.

Well, I think Madden 06 for 360 is a "TRUE" next gen sports game. They had to build the game engine from scratch. The playability of the game is pretty much the same as the XBOX and PS2 Maddens, but the Engine is brand new, the first one for a next-gen system.

Now, whether or not the game is any good, I don't know. But it's definitely a next gen Madden. Tiburon said that this new engine they developed is going to be the foundation for the next decade of Maddens. I'm sure it will be refined quite a bit for next fall's releases on the PS3 and 360, but that doesn't mean that this Madden isn't a pretty significant jump forward.

I've heard that the game still has some serious issues, so I'm not sure if I will give my stamp of approval for it or not, but it's definitely a legitimate next gen attempt at Madden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because Madden doesn't change a whole lot most years doesn't make it a bad product. It's the end result of almost 20 years of trial and polish. I bet most of the people who trash Madden haven't even played it in 10 years, or aren't sports fans.

But anyway, I'm not getting a 360, so... no skin off my back. I also don't get a new football game every single year. I wait a few years between installments, and I'm still waiting for Madden to catch up to ESPN NFL 2K5.

Six courses in Tiger Woods... meh. I don't think that's acceptable at all. Tiger Woods games are fun as Hell, and I'd much rather have PS2 graphics than have only a handful of courses. That's not a fair tradeoff to me, particularly since the 360's graphics haven't thrilled me yet.

I especially look at the Madden commercial and go, "Man, those players look ugly." The closer we get to the 360's launch, the less impressed I am with the previews.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    It doesn't really hit the launch much, as no one is buying it for the sports games.
    Thought Xboxes claim to fame was FPSes and Sports Fanatics? Especially Sports on Xbox Live. I can see a problem if you disappoint half your Xbox - now X360 - customers.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Just when you thought you had a great launch, EA screws

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    http://insider.ign.com/articles/666/666593p1.html

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Re: Just when you thought you had a great launch, EA screws

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    http://insider.ign.com/articles/666/666593p1.html
    The mark of the beast!!!!! Arggh!

You've got a good eye there Ed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bottom line is can madden become next gen?
    I played the 360 today and I here are my thoughts

If it was 49.99 I would think about getting it. excellent stadium model nice huddle to the line of scrimmage models
    ref animation etc but when you hike the ball same old madden. Not much has changed in the last 6 releases.

This was a rush, do what you can do and get it to the door release by Ea execs. if they really cared about the brand they would have kept it in development until a next gen game is ready. if there was a competing football title being released Madden would have been much better. Engine this engine that, I don't think it is next gen.

Ea execs have our number change the playcalling screen add animation shuffle up the announcing people will by and be impressed. Ok the dev kits arrived late, then don't release until ready.

It reminds me of the psx early games that had 90minutes of fmv then back to reality. No competition this is what we get. madden is not a bad game. it just lacks tthat nex gen vibe.
    Ea hustled the nfl rights and got more lazy. I am going to the town of mighetto and get the seven knives of mighetto from the monk buttenhagen and take care of Ea.
    neo geo system