Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why the hate for the Cube controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My only problem is the C-stick simply doesn't work for traditional first person shooters where you have two analog controls. I'm sure it was mostly the shitty game's fault, but I gave up in frustration after trying to play the first level of Die Hard: Vendetta, completely unable to hit anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins
    I'm sure it was mostly the shitty game's fault, but I gave up in frustration after trying to play the first level of Die Hard: Vendetta, completely unable to hit anything.
    Oh yea, that was 100% the game's fault. If you turn on the aiming cone then it makes it the easiest FPS ever, but with it off it's one of the most frustrating and difficult.

For a good example of FPS done right on the Cube, check out 007: Nightfire. Not only is it an excellent game (as opposed to the piece of shit PC gamers got ), it also controls beautifully.

Other games (Timesplitters, Die Hard, etc) manage to botch the aiming in various ways, unfortunatly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problem with the A, B, X, and Y buttons, as well as the analog stick.

However, the directional pad is worthless. It's tiny, and I'm just glad I almost never have to use it.

The Z Button is completely out of place. The index finger goes on the R button, and it stays there. It cannot come up to fumble for the Z button.

The N64 controller is almost perfect in my opinion. I don't know why they tried to screw around with it so much. You don't HAVE to make major changes to a controller to prove you're staying on the edge.

Although when the Revolution comes out, everyone will wish they had the Gamecube controller again.

And don't even act like we don't KNOW the Revolution controller is going to suck until we play it. It's going to suck.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Cube controller. It's very comfortable but it has its flaws. As it's been said, the D-pas is, in my opinion, completely useless. It's too tiny to be accurate. I already disliked it on the first GBA. Sometimes, I press rigt but because it's so small it presses down at the same time. I have several 2D games (I'm a nostalgic) on my GC and it's a shame.

The Z button is not satisfying at all either.

But I love the huuuuge A button and the analogue shoulders. Add the D-pad (borrowed from the SNES) and the trigger of the fabulous N64 controller and you get the best of both worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The PS2 controller followed a classic design. To an extent, the Xbox controller based itself on a cross between the PlayStation and Dreamcast designs. The Cube controller tried so hard to be different from both the opposition as well as it's predecessor, the N64 controller...

The Cube controller features less buttons than the PS2 and Xbox ones for a start. That's it's first and major flaw. Secondly, it's too awkward ~ The buttons are in a 1x3 formation, whereas the other two stick to the tried and tested 2x2 (With the Xbox deciding to substitute apair of shoulders for a 3x3 configuration, which has also been tried and tested in the past)

The Cube sticks, although at the same angles as teh Xbox, are odd. You have the main stick with an unusual grip on top (Thumb slides off easially), and the "C" stick is too fiddly and has no grip. Unlike the Xbox's Controller S which features indents. The D Pad is also far too small for even children to actively use. They also do not feature the push-in mechanism that teh Ps2 and Xbox ones have (L3 and R3 on a Ps2 controller) They are as if they were put there as an afterthought just for teh sake of having them.

Lastly, the triggers on the Cube are the most annoying. Not only are they a horrible shape, but they also click. The Dreamcast and Xbox triggers are far better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    The PS2 controller followed a classic design. To an extent, the Xbox controller based itself on a cross between the PlayStation and Dreamcast designs. The Cube controller tried so hard to be different from both the opposition as well as it's predecessor, the N64 controller...

The Cube controller features less buttons than the PS2 and Xbox ones for a start. That's it's first and major flaw. Secondly, it's too awkward ~ The buttons are in a 1x3 formation, whereas the other two stick to the tried and tested 2x2 (With the Xbox deciding to substitute apair of shoulders for a 3x3 configuration, which has also been tried and tested in the past)

The Cube sticks, although at the same angles as the Xbox, are odd. You have the main stick with an unusual grip on top (Thumb slides off easially), and the "C" stick is too fiddly and has no grip. Unlike the Xbox's Controller S which features indents. The D Pad is also far too small for even children to actively use. They also do not feature the push-in mechanism that the Ps2 and Xbox ones have (L3 and R3 on a Ps2 controller) They are as if they were put there as an afterthought just for the sake of having them.

Lastly, the triggers on the Cube are the most annoying. Not only are they a horrible shape, but they also click. The Dreamcast and Xbox triggers are far better.

You do realize how the Cube R/L triggers work, right? There are a few different mechanisms within each one. When you pull back up until before you click, it can register how far it's being held down and then when you click, it can be used an alternate feature within a game. You could say, hold it halfway down to lock on, and then "Click" to fire. I will admit that they aren't good with games that don't take advantage of them, but it could be used very well if taken advantage of.

I do have to agree with all of your other gripes though, except I actually like the cube's analog stick, and it is by far the most accurate/precise of the three current gen systems.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The analog shoulder buttons bug me. Hardly any games use them properly--they're treated just like a PS2 shoulder button in most cases, which is not how I think they were intended to be used.

I have come to dislike the C-stick, but its not bad per se, just not as good as the Xbox S-type analog stick.

The Wavebird however, even with the above flaws, was my favorite controller of this generation. Finally, a wireless controller done right! I plan to never go back to a wired controller, and I pray every night that the Xbox 360's wireless controller is done as well. as the Wavebird.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector