Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the hate for the Cube controller?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why the hate for the Cube controller?

Kirby's Avalanche for SNES was the US version of Puyo Puyo, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis) was the US version of Puyo Puyo 2. Both are fantastic games. I love Puyo Pop Fever, but I hate the Gamecube controller. I'm going to need to pick up a nice ascii controller or arcade stick or something one of these days.
    Don't understand this - hate? Strong word. I prefer the standard PS2 controller - but don't think the Cube controller is terrible. It has the required analog sticks and buttons to make modern games work.

Even played Soul Calibur - ps2 or cube - I can adjust to either. I'm flexible. 'Course I do have small hands. Maybe that makes a difference???

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig all the standard first party current gen controllers. I don't understand the bitching either. Sure people can have a preference for one over the other, but all are solid.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The dpad is atrocious and extremely uncomfortable to use, which is a large hinderance for games that either require the dpad (Ikaruga) or require the dpad for remotely accurate control (Puyo Pop Fever).

It's a great controller for racing games (it saddens me that Burnout 3 didn't make it to the cube) and anything that makes heavy use of the analog stick (with the exception of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which was a clusterfuck of XFL proportions), but that dpad...jesus...it takes skill, dedication, and hard work to make a dpad worse than the playstation's, but Nintendo did it. Good job, Nintendo.

edit - oh, and thanks for quoting me out of the context of the original thread. Hugs and kissed to you, too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have pretty big hands, but I think the controller sucks for a number of reasons.

The C-Stick isn't half as good as the C buttons of the N-64 controller. It's a sad attempt at adding a second analog stick.

The Z-Button is probably the stupidest invention in controller history. It's nearly impossible to reach, and they didn't bother to balance the controller by putting one on the other side.

The D-Pad is impossibly small, and i have a real hard time getting the diagnals with my big thumbs.

Holding down the sholder buttons for any long length of time is carpel tunnel inducing.

Overall, i hate the controller. But that's just my two cents.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had one A button go dead on me.

Other than that, it's not all that bad.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce
    The Z-Button is probably the stupidest invention in controller history. It's nearly impossible to reach, and they didn't bother to balance the controller by putting one on the other side.
    Oh man, I totally forgot about the Z button...probably because it's in an impossibly out of the way and inconvient place.

I love the way the shoulder buttons curve and fit like a glove, but then they slapped the z button up there so your finger has to travel over the upper ledge of the R button....and then the z button is just a tiny sliver that's easy to miss if you've got moderate to large hands.

The C stick doesn't bother me; in fact i actually like that it has a smaller top because I can shift my thumb from it to the other buttons quicker. Considering the design on the R button, it's surprising that they left this one as they did...you'd expect them to make it match their left analog stick.

Oh god, and that little start button...the dot in the middle of the controller... what the hell?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Reason #1: The C Stick
    Reason #2: The wired cord is too short and the controller is too small.
    Reason #3: THE MOTHERFUCKING C Stick.

Don't get me wrong i love the Wavebird but i fucking hate the C Stick. My friend who posts on here as James has actually gone as far as replaceing the c-stick on his wavebirds with another left analog stick.

I really don't know why they made it without a hat.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with most of the complaints here, so I'll just add that I cannot, under any circumstances, hit the Y button without also hitting the A button.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any problems with it except for the digital stick. As I don't play those with it, but with my Hori Fighting Stick. That it's too small, I have more problems with the M$ Controller S.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

I have never had too many problems with it, but it could be because my hands are somewhat small.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cube controllers were a bit intimidating to me. Too many buttons, and confuses the hell out of you when playing wrestling games like WWEOR.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a world where the more buttons the better, they stick one huge ass button in the middle when they could get like atleast two buttons there.

I guess what I want to say is that the controller looks so empty and I'd rather have more buttons.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? Damn, I always heard nice things about the controller. EXCEPT don't mention CVS2 to anyone That's cause "Fatal" fury amongst fans..
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never use my wired controllers and never will.

Well besides my ASC II keyboard controller, which I find that I like using for more than just online PSO

Of course nothing compares to the greatness that is the Wavebird

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I love the GC controller. Sure the button layout looks like a total mess, but for most games it fits well.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I could plug Cube controllers into all of my systems, current or retro, I would. Best controller I've ever used. Mainly because it fits my small hands. I like the positive feel of the sticks. The triggers are perfect. Once you get used to it you can find that Z button in a flash. The only small gripe is that I wish that the buttons had more "throw" to them.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats wrong with the Z button? Its in the same place as the R1 button an a PS2. What is the big deal? I've never had a single problem with the controller, or any of the other system's controllers.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the GC controller but the c stick is slightly akward and the D pad sucks for 2-D fighters but there arent many of those on the Gamecube anyway.

I have to admit that when I had my Gamecube I COULD NOT PLAY SPLINTER CELL WITH THE CONTROLLER the one less button setup when compared to the PS2 and Xbox is really bad for multiport games like that wich are much more easier to play with the PS2 dualshock controller and I hated playing madden or any kind of sports game with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the Cube controller...can't really imagine trying to play Resident Evil 4 with a Dual Shock, but I guess it'd work. The two-face-button design is surprisingly able - take Metroid Prime, or check out the old cancelled Hook Man E3 demo for RE4. You couldn't do Ninja Gaiden on it, though - not enough face buttons.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

The GC controller is super underrated. The first game I played on it alot was RE4 and it was AMAZING. GC has a great controller for 3D games, I haven't played it for 2D games yet but it has a great feel.
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"