Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow The Hedgehog Game: Good, Bad, Ugly?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Shadow The Hedgehog Game: Good, Bad, Ugly?

So this game just came out for NGC, PS2, and XBOX. Any buy Shadow The Hedgehog? How is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on now, we all know I'm here. Of course, I bought it.

Snagged it for Cube, and I must say, I'm having quite some fun with it.

It's not a fantastic game, I won't lie. Nor is it an actual Sonic game. Usually in a Sonic game, I have fun running around at ridiculous speeds exploring the areas, not this time. I'm having fun with the weapons. It's actually pretty enjoyable to homing jump into an enemy, and then fly into the air and hit'em down into the ground with a few handgun shots.

Yeah, I know its not Sonic, but whatever, I'm having fun.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I finally got this game on the 17th (lousy slow Gamestop) and it is a odd duck. I normally don't say this, but heavily consider renting this game before purchase.

The funny part is, the game has some really bad points to it, and some good points to it, and the two groups end up neutralizing each other to make the game seem entirely mediocre.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17
    I finally got this game on the 17th (lousy slow Gamestop) and it is a odd duck. I normally don't say this, but heavily consider renting this game before purchase.

The funny part is, the game has some really bad points to it, and some good points to it, and the two groups end up neutralizing each other to make the game seem entirely mediocre.
    lol I am actually on board with this, I gotta say rent it, I played it for a few minutes at gamestop, and it is an odd take on the sonic series, the weapons and cars are a nice twist, but right now, it doesn't warrent spending 53 bucks... sorry shadow, gotta wait.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutly hate it, bad control, bugs, so fustrating!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't care for Shadow. I want my Sonic Adventure 3 SEGA!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

It's alright, but it's inherited the problems with heroes: slippery movement controls, random suicidal homing attacks, and the fact that 90% of the levels are all just crap suspended over nothing. The shooting however is amazingly well intergrated, in the sense that it works like it should and feels not too out of place...other than the explosive weapons but i hate those in every game so maybe that's just me.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... from reading all of this, it seems worth using a free game rental coupon on Shadow.

I'd like Sonic Adventure 3 as well, and I'll be looking forward to playing Sonic Rush.

Besides, I need something to do, only having to step foot on campus 2 days next week... :/
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So whatcha think are the good and bad points?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being a Sonic Fan I had to get this game,ive got to say it is fun and Sega did a good job on it. More later,playing
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    It's alright, but it's inherited the problems with heroes: slippery movement controls, random suicidal homing attacks, and the fact that 90% of the levels are all just crap suspended over nothing. The shooting however is amazingly well intergrated, in the sense that it works like it should and feels not too out of place...other than the explosive weapons but i hate those in every game so maybe that's just me.
    Oh noes. I'm buying this, of course, but I'm not too sure if I'm going to like it. I don't like shooting games (stuff like Halo, I don't mind shmups) at the best of times, but I hear this has eleven different endings and many diffferent paths you can take?

I read the IGN review, but c'mon, like anyone is going to take that guy seriously after he gave Sonic Adventure DX a 6 and raved about Mario 64 for nearly a whole paragraph mid review. o_O Does anyone have a link to a decent review, a famitsu score, something credible?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Nah, I haven't seen any good reviews of this game yet. The review at Gamespy even has dozens of factual and spelling errors! They list the game as "Shadows of the Hedgehog!"

The more I play this game though, the more I like it. It starts to grow on you after you get used to the fickle parts and begin settings goals.

Almost every stage allows you to fulfill one of three different goals: good, bad, or neutral. So it is kind of nice to be able to choose your own path, but you'll often wish for the simplicity of a straight-forward, just-run-to-the-end-of-the-stage Sonic setup. Thankfully the neutral paths tend to be of the run-to-the-super-ring type so that if you feel like just blazing through a stage you can.

Because of the choice of goals in each stage, the game branches. To get to all of the stages in the game, you must play the game through at least five times in order for the branching paths to take you to all twenty stages. Each final stage has two endings, good and evil.

Everytime you get one ending, you get a new special weapon that is unleashed from the Shadow boxes in a stage. Soon you'll have a nice assortment to choose from after a time.

And for those inquiring minds, this game does continue the Adventure storyline. Or more exact, Sonic Adventure -> Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Battle && Sonic Heroes -> Shadow The Hedgehog.

So there's lots of good, and some improvements to the old engine as well. Now when you die you can start right back up from the last save point, and save points act as warp points as well, so you can go back and get something if you missed it the first time. Rail jumping works even better this time, and Shadow does it with a cartwheel jump.

But you are going to find yourself fighting with the camera in this game, and some stages are quite difficult, sometimes frustratingly so. Often times you'll fail at a goal that you were going after in a stage and must either choose a different path or restart the stage.

Something that really annoyed me at first was the swearing. Now while it is nothing too obscene, you are going to hear the word "damn" a lot in this game. Shadow says it whenever he dies or is hit. Hell, even Sonic says it!

Speaking of speech, prepare your ears for the death of a thousand voice actors. 4KIDS dubbed Shadow The Hedgehog. So what we are left with is the "darkest" Sonic game ever with the voice acting talent of one of the most despised Saturday morning cartoon translators in the land. Almost everybody sounds wrong, especially Knuckles, Charmy, and Vector.

Because of the branching there are multiple endings. And the endings are very brief. But take solace in knowing that a full endings awaits the determined.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Selling Points

I almost forgot one definite selling point for those people who hate Chao...

Spoilers ahead...

Do not read the red quote boxes below in order to skip spoilers...

Last warning...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler
    You get to beat up and attack Chao. Yes, you could do this in the Sonic Adventures, but it is much more satisfying to beat the annoying little snot-nosed punks with flaming torches, pistols, swords, branches, and grenades.
    And for those of you who thought ******** got off easy in Sonic Heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiler
    One of the endings is... ooh, it is too shocking and spoiler-ific to tell! Let's just say it involves E-102 Omega and Shadow.
    So some definite satisfaction for long-time 3D Sonic players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well then if it continues the story started from Adventure and even recognizes Omega good to see Sega remembering continutity.

So with the good-bad-neutral paths, is it sorta like Sonic CD? Like Bad is if you plow through everything guns blazing, beating up Chao and Good is something like if you only kill if you need to?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default tenrec

Each mission had good-bad-neutral goals. So you could totally miss some task (lit only 3/5 lanterns) and say "screw it" and beat the level's good or neutral goal. Or you could teleport back and explore around a little.

Rather than talk about it, I want to play more. All the problem's I had in the firsts three hours melted away, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Which would make this the second Sonic game with a learning curve, after that Sonic 3D.

I also like how the game isn't about the goal, but the path you take. How you play the game instead of just beating it. After I finished Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I was pretty... Dumbed. Like I wanted to play it again, but it would be like this massive thing to go through again. With every new game in Shadow, it's a NEW GAME. Different bosses, different stages, different missions.

Random thought: remember how you could get all seven chaos emeralds in the first two stagees of Sonic & Knuckles?
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

If they haven't bothered to fix the broken camera or controls of the previous games, I want nothing to do with it.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Least that adds replay value to it then.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could this possibly be a future buried treasure? So far I've heard interesting concept, mid-level quality.

there is also going to be a new Sonic game for the DS; with a new charactor

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I haven't seen any good reviews of this game yet. The review at Gamespy even has dozens of factual and spelling errors! They list the game as "Shadows of the Hedgehog!"
    I re-read the IGN review, and it seriously feels like 90% of it was written weeks ago. I mean, I think everyone had a bad first impression playing the game, but it does pick up, right?

I unlocked two new endings today.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    I re-read the IGN review, and it seriously feels like 90% of it was written weeks ago. I mean, I think everyone had a bad first impression playing the game, but it does pick up, right?
    Oh yeah, it definitely picks up. The game actually becomes much more fun the more you play it. It seems to be one of those games where you first have to get into the groove of it, and then once you understand how it operates, it is a blast!

When you begin to memorize the levels, that's when it becomes really fun!