Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: do you see PSPs collecting dust on store shelves?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I don't get how anyone can say the PSP isn't selling well while the DS is doing great. Sony announced a little while back that it shipped 10 million units worldwide. I understand that all of them purty lilttle PSP's haven't been sold but i'll go out on a limb and say the sales must be reasonably close to that number.

Around the same time Reggie stated that DS has sold 8 million units WW. DS is doing great in Japan, they just sold over 2 million consoles there this year. But it's not doing as great elsewhere. I love the GBA line but they have to drop it and advertise that the DS is BC to GBA.
    8 million units sold vs. 10 million units shipped is totally apples to oranges. We have no clue how many units were shipped that are waiting to sell, or how many were shipped for the holidays.

However flawed the PSP is at least Sony has their eyes on the prize while Nintendo is pulling a Sega with 3 different handhelds on the market. Focus on DS only Nintendo!
    I think it's rather different. Nintendo is moving tons of GBAs still, and tons more DS systems. Unlike the Sega systems, both handhelds are being properly supported.

The GameCube was a sinking ship long before the DS launched, so why they should shut down a popular line just to promote another popular line is beyond me.

Oh yeah, it's interesting that the DS is selling so well in japan. THe combination of a low price point, innovative, and traditional titles is really helping Nintendo. I don't see Revolution doing well over here but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled an upset and ruled in Japan.
    I would be floored if Nintendo captured more than 25% of the Japanese market with the Revolution.

The thing that Nintendo is doing correctly here, by the way, is coming out with a bunch of games for the holiday season that are crazy popular. Between Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Metroid Pinball, the system has enough cross-genre games to interest just about anyone. The PSP doesn't have the same line up.

Wait 'til next year.

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    C'mon Dan, how many 16 year olds bring their moms and dads to the store to buy a game? That's not something they do. Do 16 year olds (or teenagers in general) want their parents involved in anything they do?
    Heh, I do understand that. At the same time, I put off driving until I was 18, so game stores at age 16 automatically came with parent's attached. Since they hated them, I tended to do my shopping online (and thus is the beginnings of the tale of the GOAT Store...)

Ironically, my dad now LOVES going to GameStop and EB Games for movies, and he stops at least once a week and talks about how great they are constantly.

I understand that there is liability issues, and I'm not trying to say that they SHOULD sell it to minors; I was just saying that the demographic of the PSP has difficulty buying said mature games.
    Yes, and that I agree with totally.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount
    two words : xmas = sales

dont matter people will be scrampling for them then
    This is Xmas shopping season and as far as I can tell PSP's are not moving. Most stores in my area are finding it impossible to keep the Nintendogs bundled DS in stock for longer than a day while the same stores are sitting on 40+ PSP's. Recently I've found PSP games on clearence at Target stores around here... I found Darkstalkers Chronicles for $7.49 and Ridge Racer for $9.99 and a bunch of sports games at that range also.

Yeah... not looking good for Sony...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

8 million units sold vs. 10 million units shipped is totally apples to oranges. We have no clue how many units were shipped that are waiting to sell, or how many were shipped for the holidays.
    I've acknowledged that there's no concrete worldwide PSP sales numbers to compare. Although i've read that the actual WW sales of PSP is estimated to be 50-70% of 10 million. Do the math, PSP is doing very well and that was the point in mentioning it. Don't be fooled Nintendo fanboys!

I think it's rather different. Nintendo is moving tons of GBAs still, and tons more DS systems. Unlike the Sega systems, both handhelds are being properly supported.

The GameCube was a sinking ship long before the DS launched, so why they should shut down a popular line just to promote another popular line is beyond me.
    Sega confused customers and Nintendo is doing so as well. There aren't too many (if any) more major GBA titles coming. DS is not selling "a ton" in the United States. I am able to get Japanese hardware sales figures weekly but it's tough in the states. Here's the May handheld US sales figures:

250,000 PSPs
    Nintendo's DS: 57,000
    GBA 223,000

This seems to be the picture in the states month in and month out. I know there was a spike in sales with the price drop and when Nintendogs hit over here. Do you have the sales figures from the past few months in the states? I'd love to see em. From what i've heard the DS has cooled and that's why the big N needs to focus on one handheld. The DS is the future not the GBA. Reggie admitted that the Micro was designed to gather cash in the short term and nothing more. Ugh, wake up Nintendo! Focus on the future.

The thing that Nintendo is doing correctly here, by the way, is coming out with a bunch of games for the holiday season that are crazy popular. Between Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Metroid Pinball, the system has enough cross-genre games to interest just about anyone. The PSP doesn't have the same line up.

Wait 'til next year.
    Those titles are popular to Nintendo's core audience but that's all with the exception of Nintendogs. That's one of Nintendo's biggest strengths and problems: their franchises. They've built a base that would buy feces if Mario's face was slapped on it. The casuals have moved on. Nintendo's franchises that have been around since the 80's like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. are polarizing. You either love em or hate generally and judging by sales more and more people are drifting away.

DS may very well have a better line up this year but don't doubt that the PSP's lame showing is appealing to the gamers that matter: the casuals. UMD popularity doesn't hurt either!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the May handheld US sales figures
    enough said, you're fooling yourself here

i can tell you one thing, the city i live in is totally Sony biased (all Nintendo and MS stuff is selling far worse than in an average german city) and we maybe sold 30-40% of our PSP units, the november sales until now look this way:

DS: 31
    GBA: 22
    PSP: 8
    -Jan

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

I can see the PSP making a splash sometime next year honestly. I have both systems. Right now, the DS gets alot more playing time then most any of my others. I have no Idea why they are bringing out games with controls Like coded arms. Having to use the buttons to Look/Move suck. Things like that are much better suited for a dual analog.

Well, heres hoping that next year will be better for the PSP and hopefully there will be a price drop in the near future . Not that it would matter to me. I have two and I don't think I'll be buying another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Here's the May handheld US sales figures
    enough said, you're fooling yourself here

i can tell you one thing, the city i live in is totally Sony biased (all Nintendo and MS stuff is selling far worse than in an average german city) and we maybe sold 30-40% of our PSP units, the november sales until now look this way:

DS: 31
    GBA: 22
    PSP: 8
    I'm not fooling myself. Those were the last concrete US sales figures I've found. I've been told that sales have been similar since besides some spikes made by DS.

Show me some numbers, some studies, something that your city is Sony biased. Show me the US sales figures between June and October.

Come on guys, don't generalize! Just b/c your gamestore may have sold more PSP's than DS' or vice versa doesn't mean it's the rule.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Customer - "Yeah I need Liberty City Stories for PS2 (XBox)"
    Me - "It's a PSP exclusive."
    Customer - "You mean it's not on the PS2 (XBox)"
    Me - "Unfortunately, no."
    Customer - "Oh...that sucks"
    I've had this exact same exchange with about 20 people.
    same at the store i work at :/
    Ditto x 3
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I always debated on buying a PSP, but now I'm going to get a DS. The main reason, other than the price, is that DS seems to have more games of interest. I havn't seen one PSP game that I even wanted to play, but there have been several games for DS that I've been eyeing since it's launch.

Another reason is because I've had hands on experience with the DS and I think that the technology is great, tho i was doubtfull about it at first. I do understand why there aren't displays for PSP, but I really don't want to buy something that I really havn't been able to try out first.

I've also noticed that there are almost no DS's at my store, I had to put the one I'm getting on layaway for fear of it not being there later. I'm hoping for a new shipment of the bundle to come in soon, otherwise I'll have to buy a game seperatly.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm buying my kids a DS for Christmas. It was really an easy decision on which portable to get because it all came down to price. The PSP is what...300 clams for the system and a game? We are of the mindset that we might as well get the DS and 5 or 6 games for the same price.

I hope the PSP does really well. A really good war can only mean both companies trying harder and putting out top notch stuff in an effort to beat the other. It seems that Nintendo has really responded to the footsteps of the PSP at the door with great software of its own. Let's hope the trend continues.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Pain

Yeah... not looking good for Sony...
    Ok. I understand that to the demographic that DigitalPress reaches, the DS is typically more desirable than the PSP. But you guys have got to stop equating your personal one-town observations with profit/marketability/market share. By all real, statistical sales/shipped numbers (yes, shipped is different than sales) for PSP systems/games/UMDs worldwide, Sony has had a tremendous success in the past year with this launch. No, there aren't enough games for alot of you guys. No, UMD doesn't make a whole lot of sense to the average Dp'er. But for godsakes, things are looking damn good for Sony's future in the handheld market. Open your eyes beyond the GameStop you work for. Go back and read Dan's very intelligent and well though-out post regarding the PSP parallels with the early PS2. Sony should be wearing shades right now (... cause the future's so bright ... groan).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the PSP is going through the same phase as the DS last year... NO FREAKIN GAMES
    how ever DS was selling alot because of backward compatibility...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've acknowledged that there's no concrete worldwide PSP sales numbers to compare. Although i've read that the actual WW sales of PSP is estimated to be 50-70% of 10 million. Do the math, PSP is doing very well and that was the point in mentioning it. Don't be fooled Nintendo fanboys!

In case you missed it, I was the one stating that the PSP has done extremely well for what it has done so far. But you can't compare numbers of shipped through to numbers of sold units. It is comparing two completely different numbers. And I don't care if you're a Sony or Nintendo fanboy, that's the truth.

Maybe Sony has actually sold 9,500,000 units. Or, with the 50% estimate with you above, they've sold 5,000,000 units. That's an AMAZING difference, and one that you can't compare to.

Companies usually talk about how many units were shipped, as it always sounds much better to investors than how many units were sold though. Nintendo announcing the actual units sold is a very bold statement. Sony announcing they've shipped more means that they probably haven't sold as much, but they want to make it look like they have.

Sega confused customers and Nintendo is doing so as well. There aren't too many (if any) more major GBA titles coming. DS is not selling "a ton" in the United States. I am able to get Japanese hardware sales figures weekly but it's tough in the states. Here's the May handheld US sales figures:

250,000 PSPs
    Nintendo's DS: 57,000
    GBA 223,000

This seems to be the picture in the states month in and month out. I know there was a spike in sales with the price drop and when Nintendogs hit over here. Do you have the sales figures from the past few months in the states? I'd love to see em. From what i've heard the DS has cooled and that's why the big N needs to focus on one handheld. The DS is the future not the GBA. Reggie admitted that the Micro was designed to gather cash in the short term and nothing more. Ugh, wake up Nintendo! Focus on the future.
    You're quoting May. May when there was absolutely nothing coming out for the DS (as I already pointed out too), and the PSP was a pretty darn new product still. The hype was all about the PSP, and the DS was left in the dust.

If you're trying to make it out that the DS is "dying," you're just wrong. With the amount of money and the masses of money riding on these two portables, I wouldn't expect either to "die" any time soon.

Those titles are popular to Nintendo's core audience but that's all with the exception of Nintendogs. That's one of Nintendo's biggest strengths and problems: their franchises. They've built a base that would buy feces if Mario's face was slapped on it. The casuals have moved on. Nintendo's franchises that have been around since the 80's like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. are polarizing. You either love em or hate generally and judging by sales more and more people are drifting away.
    More and more people have been drifting away thanks to the GameCube releases that didn't live up to their names. Zelda: Wind Waker was a very polarizing game that turned off a lot of casual fans, but by the reaction to the new Zelda game, Zelda is still a very popular franchise.

Animal Crossing is a game that I don't think of as a "traditional" Nintendo franchise. In fact, if I'm not mistaken there has been one other Animal Crossing game, and it was for the GameCube... and it attracted a lot of the same crowd that Nintendogs did.

As for the Mario franchises, a rehash of Mario 64 was the game that was the system seller for the DS last year, and it did amazingly well. If a rehash of a game can move a few million hardware units, then you're doing something right.

DS may very well have a better line up this year but don't doubt that the PSP's lame showing is appealing to the gamers that matter: the casuals. UMD popularity doesn't hurt either!
    The PSP's "lame" showing is "appealing" to casual gamers? I'm sorry, but I don't think that "casual" people think that a small library of games and a higher price point is more appealing than anything else.

I'm not and haven't been stating that there is a winner. I'm not and haven't been doing saying that there is any definite answers here. But for certain, this holiday season the DS looks like it is doing better than the PSP. And as I've also stated, I expect the PSP to have a season like the DS will have this season next year, and the DS will have to struggle for attention to move consoles. But this year, the DS is going to "win" more sales over the holiday season.
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoever that 16 year old was, just to let you know, you should not be sold the mature rated game. Why? Because its for audiences 17 and up. Its not more complicated than that.

You're under 17, I won't sell it to you. Why? Because that's the way it's gonna be. I don't feel like risking my job, just so you can play a rather subpar game. I just denied a bunch of kids GTA: San Andreas for the Xbox a few days ago, and yeah, they were all going "Are you like, serious DUDE?!".

Yep, I'm serious. It was pretty awesome when the mother of the children came back and thanked me for not selling it to them. The created the ratings for a reason, and our store policy is to follow the ESRB ratings, so I'm gonna.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In case you missed it, I was the one stating that the PSP has done extremely well for what it has done so far. But you can't compare numbers of shipped through to numbers of sold units. It is comparing two completely different numbers. And I don't care if you're a Sony or Nintendo fanboy, that's the truth.

Maybe Sony has actually sold 9,500,000 units. Or, with the 50% estimate with you above, they've sold 5,000,000 units. That's an AMAZING difference, and one that you can't compare to.

Companies usually talk about how many units were shipped, as it always sounds much better to investors than how many units were sold though. Nintendo announcing the actual units sold is a very bold statement. Sony announcing they've shipped more means that they probably haven't sold as much, but they want to make it look like they have.
    You don't need to reply saying the same thing a third time or explain to me what companies do. I acknowledged there's a difference and provided possible numbers. All you've done is provide your own POV with no back up. Not a bash, just a fact.

You're quoting May. May when there was absolutely nothing coming out for the DS (as I already pointed out too), and the PSP was a pretty darn new product still. The hype was all about the PSP, and the DS was left in the dust.

If you're trying to make it out that the DS is "dying," you're just wrong. With the amount of money and the masses of money riding on these two portables, I wouldn't expect either to "die" any time soon.
    I know i'm quoting May. Those were the last conrete US sales figures I could find. I also acknowledged that the DS has experienced a sales spike from the price drop and Nintendogs release although i dont know by how much. You on the other hand again have provided nothing but your own POV. I wasn't arguing that the DS was dying. I feel if Nintendo offered a single portable they'd have better DS sales.

More and more people have been drifting away thanks to the GameCube releases that didn't live up to their names. Zelda: Wind Waker was a very polarizing game that turned off a lot of casual fans, but by the reaction to the new Zelda game, Zelda is still a very popular franchise.

Animal Crossing is a game that I don't think of as a "traditional" Nintendo franchise. In fact, if I'm not mistaken there has been one other Animal Crossing game, and it was for the GameCube... and it attracted a lot of the same crowd that Nintendogs did. As for the Mario franchises, a rehash of Mario 64 was the game that was the system seller for the DS last year, and it did amazingly well. If a rehash of a game can move a few million hardware units, then you're doing something right.
    Actually Animal Crosing was released on N64 in Japan first. I don't know what kind of crowd AC attracted I do know one thing, it didn't sell 250,000 units in its first week like Nintendog's or save the Gamecube at all. That rehash (M64) sold to Nintendo's base. That rehash sold because there really wasn't anything else out there at the time. As for the rehash selling "a few million" units, do you have a concrete number? I've heard it's a million seller for sure but a few million is a vast difference. Again, if you want to debate at least have something more than your own POV (that's POINT OF VIEW) to base your opinion on.

The PSP's "lame" showing is "appealing" to casual gamers? I'm sorry, but I don't think that "casual" people think that a small library of games and a higher price point is more appealing than anything else.

I'm not and haven't been stating that there is a winner. I'm not and haven't been doing saying that there is any definite answers here. But for certain, this holiday season the DS looks like it is doing better than the PSP. And as I've also stated, I expect the PSP to have a season like the DS will have this season next year, and the DS will have to struggle for attention to move consoles. But this year, the DS is going to "win" more sales over the holiday season.
    Yeah, shit like Madden is appealing to casuals and hardcore alike. Is $50 for a portable title appealing to anyone? Doubtful. But the PSP has ports of current successful titles. You start out by saying you're not stating there's going to be a "winner" and by the end of your paragraph you point to the DS. Come on!

In a perfect world DS would be the top selling system. The DS is next gen to me, the Revolution looks to be another great step in innovation. I'm not trying to argue/debate with you Dan, but if you're going to make strong statements and debate with me or anyone at least have your statments based in some sort of reality other than your own. I've provided facts and figures, provided numbers that are probably correct such as the 50-70% of 10 million PSP number, and you've come back with nothing. Let's not drag this out more than we have to.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't need to reply saying the same thing a third time or explain to me what companies do. I acknowledged there's a difference and provided possible numbers. All you've done is provide your own POV with no back up. Not a bash, just a fact.
    But what are you using to back it up? I've noted (four times now, I guess) that you can't compare those numbers, not that they mean anything. Since you agree according to your statements above, you shouldn't use those numbers for any basis of fact.

I know i'm quoting May. Those were the last conrete US sales figures I could find. I also acknowledged that the DS has experienced a sales spike from the price drop and Nintendogs release although i dont know by how much. You on the other hand again have provided nothing but your own POV. I wasn't arguing that the DS was dying. I feel if Nintendo offered a single portable they'd have better DS sales.
    Of course if Nintendo only offered one portable, they would have better DS sales. But if they are making a lot of money right now off two seperate portables, why eliminate one line just to make the other one have better sales? I doubt that eliminating the GBA line would make DS sales spike enough to cover the GBA line loss.

Nintendo originally was really serious about making the DS into a third pillar, and making it essentially a PDA so that it would appeal to adults more than the GBA. And the GBA would continue to fill the children niche. Since Nintendo hasn't yet come through with their plans for making the DS into a functional PDA, that hasn't happened yet.

Actually Animal Crosing was released on N64 in Japan first. I don't know what kind of crowd AC attracted I do know one thing, it didn't sell 250,000 units in its first week like Nintendog's or save the Gamecube at all.
    You had stated before that Animal Crossing only sold to Nintendo's fanbase. Now you say that you don't know where it came from. I can guarantee it did well though, because you can still find the Player's Choice version in stores, even well after most Player's Choice games (Luigi's Mansion, even Mario Sunshine) have mostly left.

And from the people that I know, the people most attracted to Animal Crossing were not casual gamers. In fact, one of my buddies at work, his wife is hopelessly addicted to it. When he gave her a different game for her birthday (Harvest Moon) and a memory card to play it on, when she found that the memory card had an abandoned city on it, she played with the city the entire time and never with Harvest Moon.

That rehash (M64) sold to Nintendo's base. That rehash sold because there really wasn't anything else out there at the time. As for the rehash selling "a few million" units, do you have a concrete number? I've heard it's a million seller for sure but a few million is a vast difference. Again, if you want to debate at least have something more than your own POV (that's POINT OF VIEW) to base your opinion on.
    I did not say that Mario DS sold a few million. I said that it was the main reason that a few million systems moved last holiday season. I don't understand why you think that is a "point of view" debate. Last I checked, Ping Pals, Spider-Man and Sprung didn't cause the systems to go flying off the shelves. Why then did Nintendo sell millions of DSes over the holiday last year? If it wasn't Mario DS, please tell me what it was.

Yeah, shit like Madden is appealing to casuals and hardcore alike. Is $50 for a portable title appealing to anyone? Doubtful. But the PSP has ports of current successful titles. You start out by saying you're not stating there's going to be a "winner" and by the end of your paragraph you point to the DS. Come on!
    Oi. When even Pete, who defends the PSP to the death says that I'm onto something right, I don't have any idea where you're coming from. I'm not pulling out all the "facts" right now because for the most part, I think it is pretty obvious what we're talking about. This thread was looking at the DS and the PSP in a relative vacuum -- this time of year, and how it seems each is doing. If we're looking worldwide, your figures about number moved and sold through, while still being completely uncomparable are relavant. So are the May sales numbers.

But when we are talking about what the holiday sales will be, I think that you have to look at the current market from your own point-of-view. And like I said, I don't feel that there is or will be a winner in this "war." But I do think that the DS is going to "win" more this Christmas season. And I think that a lot of things -- from the system already selling for more than store cost online (Nintendogs bundles, of which I've personally sold seven of for a profit on eBay) and the lineup of games, and even the fact that the in-store displays at the bigger holiday stores like Toys R Us and Best Buy are bigger and more prominent than the PSP points to the DS having a good season.

I think Sony made some missteps with their system right now. But I think that by next year, the tables will at least be even if not turned.

In a perfect world DS would be the top selling system. The DS is next gen to me, the Revolution looks to be another great step in innovation. I'm not trying to argue/debate with you Dan, but if you're going to make strong statements and debate with me or anyone at least have your statments based in some sort of reality other than your own. I've provided facts and figures, provided numbers that are probably correct such as the 50-70% of 10 million PSP number, and you've come back with nothing. Let's not drag this out more than we have to.
    In a perfect world, I don't think that I would put my weight behind anything as a top selling system, although I probably would've liked the Dreamcast to have sold more. I'm not "pulling" for any system, and the reason why I used observations in this thread and not "hard facts" is because were talking about what is more or less a theory about how the sales will shake out this holiday season. And I think, as do many others that based on the information we have, the DS will outsell the PSP this holiday season. I went further to theorize that the PSP would have a holiday season like this next year. But, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm done dragging it out. If you want to argue sales data, please start another thread and I'd be happy to show up in that one, where Pete and I would probably argue about trends (although, honestly, probably not any more thanks to the fact that we have a lot more data to analyze, and less theory to make arguments on) and you would probably agree with me more based on what you've typed.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's obviously no getting through to you. I stand firmly behind my opinions and facts. You still haven't offered a single fact while i've delivered many.

You obviously don't understand what i'm saying or do and must defend your opinion no matter how inaccurate. You're not the first to do so on DP. If we ever meet i'd like to debate about this topic some more, perhaps then you'll understand...or not.

Don't get pissed Dan, I extend my hand to you! See ya around.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's obviously no getting through to you. I stand firmly behind my opinions and facts. You still haven't offered a single fact while i've delivered many.

You obviously don't understand what i'm saying or do and must defend your opinion no matter how inaccurate. You're not the first to do so on DP. If we ever meet i'd like to debate about this topic some more, perhaps then you'll understand...or not.

Don't get pissed Dan, I extend my hand to you! See ya around.
    I'm not pissed. Just totally, completely baffled about what you are looking at that I'm not. And what facts I'm supposed to be looking at to determine if I *think* the DS will do better than the PSP this season. I think if you go back and read my comparisons of the PSP and the DS to the PS2 life cycle, you would see how I used some real world comparisons in my future hypothesis.

Without firm data on what will happen over the next 45 days, I will continue to make hypotheses about it, and not try to state facts. Sorry if this makes me seem like I'm not listening, but I don't know how else to make an argument other than by looking at past trends and comparing them to the future, and using data from May -- which was right after the PSP came out and when the software line up for the DS sucked hard -- isn't good enough for me.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not fooling myself. Those were the last concrete US sales figures I've found. I've been told that sales have been similar since besides some spikes made by DS.
    you have been told? now wow, THAT of course makes things different, i didn't know that. Forgive me, how could i even think about doubting your "numbers"

seriously, if you really think the may sales show ANY similarities to the current sales you're way off
    it's a totally different story (and no, i don't have any numbers to prove that, but you don't have any numbers to prove me wrong either...)

Show me some numbers, some studies, something that your city is Sony biased.
    i can't, because that's internal company data i'm not allowed to make public

you can trust me on that though, the store i work for has ~75% market share for video games in our region (~150.000 people) and i know our sales results, plus i know the overall media markt sales for Germany. Knowing all of this i can guarantee you that we were and are selling a lot more Sony and a lot less MS/Nintendo units per inhabitant than averagely in Germany.

having said this i can guarantee you that EVEN in our region the psp sales have been heavily dropping during the last 3-4 weeks, the manager of our department is already getting really nervous because he fears to have ordered far too many units for the holiday season. DS/GBA on the other hand have been selling more and more from week to week, and Mario Kart is not even out yet. For DS our manager is afraid he has too few units for Christmas.

Now, i know you can easily bash this as "personal observation" and say it doesn't mean shit about the whole market, but it's just not true, while you can't tell how good or bad a system is ultimately selling from such a limited POV you CAN observate trends, and i've been seeing such trends in the past and they were always reflected in (often much later published) overall market numbers. Another current trend (for the last months though) is the fact that both the Xbox units and games have been selling like crap recently

[/quote]
    Come on guys, don't generalize! Just b/c your gamestore may have sold more PSP's than DS' or vice versa doesn't mean it's the rule.[/quote]

no, it does not necessarily mean that, but my observations have been true for germany/europe in 9 out of 10 cases in the past. I've also heard the exact same things from other stores of our chain and various people from publishers. Plus, observing current actual sales definately shows more about the current sales than some May numbers
    -Jan

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    Whoever that 16 year old was, just to let you know, you should not be sold the mature rated game. Why? Because its for audiences 17 and up. Its not more complicated than that.

You're under 17, I won't sell it to you. Why? Because that's the way it's gonna be. I don't feel like risking my job, just so you can play a rather subpar game. I just denied a bunch of kids GTA: San Andreas for the Xbox a few days ago, and yeah, they were all going "Are you like, serious DUDE?!".

Yep, I'm serious. It was pretty awesome when the mother of the children came back and thanked me for not selling it to them. The created the ratings for a reason, and our store policy is to follow the ESRB ratings, so I'm gonna.
    I was the 16 year old, and I don't honestly care that they won't sell me the game. It's not a problem for me, because, as mentioned before, I can simply go online, press a few buttons, and be done with it.

I said it's the reason why the game isn't selling that well. A lot of kids own PSPs, want GTA, and can't get it.

I won't get into whether they should/shouldn't sell me (or people in a similar age group) the game or not, because that really wasn't the point.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a consumer and I'd rather have an iPod over a PSP any day. And I'm a big gamer. If I want music I get an iPod (not a PSP). If I want a digital camera I buy a camera (not a phone). If I want an address book and online connectivity on the go I buy a PDA (not a phone). I already have music on the go, its called a cd player with mp3 capability in my car. I really do not like people combining lots of things into one because it degrades all of it.

Now I don't believe the PSP games suffered at all due to it becomming a mix of utilities, but the rest of the utilities just won't measure up to a dedicated device. I see it as just a neat option which in no way would push me over the line into buying one when there are no games on it I want to play. And thats the bottom line, the games. What they really need is a Castlevania SoTN port. Then I'd be somewhat tempted.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka