View Poll Results: Do you play modern sports video games?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 57.14%
  • No

15 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play sports games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Play sports games?

I just don't get it.

I guess I never understood playing sports videogames. I admit I liked Tecmo Bowl and Baseball stars but the more realistic sports games become the more I wonder why you aren't playing for real with your buddies down the street. I know some of you will say that "Well your buddies can't play pro ball and score 40 tds a year or rush for 1000 yards or do 40 yard dash in x seconds" To that I say "Well I live in Cleveland and neither can the Browns"

Atari Video Cube aka Rubics Cube failed for a simple reason. It was more fun to play the original. Flying ships ,blowing stuff up , killing dragons, well killing anything these are reasons to play games. To do things you can't or shouldn't do in real life. So yes that goes for Nascar games as well. Driving around in a circle over an over isn't fun. You need some ramps and flaming hoops to jump through and don't forget the power ups and burnout meter.

Now if I said I found a bunch of "junk" carts at the market, what am I talking about? Well we all know of course I'm talking about sports games. For Sega Genesis you can't give them away yet someone, somewhere at sometime must have bought all these. Today even they continue to buy the futures junk games.

The only people who should want to dedicate serious time to sports games are the physically handicaped and ex-Browns quarterbacks who feel they could have gone all way if they only had the right defensive linemen. Hmm I guess I'm talking about the same people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only sports game I play is NCAA Football 2005 on the cube. I'm not sure what it is about it but I really do like it. Otherwise, I don't play any other sports games.

So, I guess I'll have to vote "YES".

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, I don't get it either. It's the very very rare sports title that gets my attention. Then again, I don't like sports in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modern sports games? No.

I'd rather go outside and play them, but that's just me.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: Play sports games?

The argument "why not just play the real game instead" is void, because there are a LOT of professional athletes that play sports games. Anyone see the 5-part series on ESPN's Sportscenter a year ago? Or any episode of Players on G4TV? Or any episode of MTV Cribs?

I can go golfing, sure, but I can't really afford a trip to Pebble Beach or St. Andrews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    The argument "why not just play the real game instead" is void, because there are a LOT of professional athletes that play sports games. Anyone see the 5-part series on ESPN's Sportscenter a year ago? Or any episode of Players on G4TV? Or any episode of MTV Cribs?

I can go golfing, sure, but I can't really afford a trip to Pebble Beach or St. Andrews.
    Totally, I agree completely.

But its just, the only reason I would personally play a sports video game, would be to replace the actual experience, and on a college campus, its pretty easy to find a pickup game.

But like I said, that's just me. I'm not too big into the whole micromanagement of teams and players and such, I just like to play.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

The only sports games I ever play are the unrealistic titles like Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee. I've yet to actually try the major franchises like Madden and NBA Live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play console baseball games but I generally only buy then every few years unless it's a specially priced title like 2K5 was. I'll also play golf from time to time but again will only pick them up used. I can't even remember the last football game I purchased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    I'm not too big into the whole micromanagement of teams and players and such, I just like to play.
    You bring up a good point too, another huge reason people enjoy sports games, especially ones with franchise/fantasy draft/season modes. A year or 2 ago, I took an NBA 2K title and fantasy drafted Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace & Pau Gasol to the Chicago Bulls. Won a championship. THAT was fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I own and play NCAA Football, Madden, NHL 06 on my PS2. Yes I own quite a few modern sports games on different consoles.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I luv Golf games hot shots golf and especially Tiger Woods Golf

I buy only ONE football game every 4 years or so just recently picked up a very cheap used copy of Madden NFL 2005 collectors edition since it was the only one on a shelf of over 50 used PS2 games at my local video store and that will be the last madden game I get for the current gen although Im interested in the new blitz the league games that look very kool

The only sports game I pick up on a regular basis is Tiger Woods PGA tour but may skip a few years as my 2005 edition is faaar better than the 2006 release and I might hold off on another one until I get a next gen system (wich will most likely be a long time from now )

The key to sports games is this HIGH REPLAY VALUE

Ive been thinking about picking up all these old basketball and Hockey games for PS2 ive seen for around $4 to $8 U.S. lately since they are so damn cheap

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't stand sports games. The only titles I've really liked are Blades of Steel, Punch Out, and Caveman Games, hahaha.

The pawn shops around here are loaded with them. The only non-sports title (aside from Mario/Duck Hunt) that I've seen in a non classic gaming store is Shaq Fu, which technically involves sports.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of sports overall...I never got into hockey or basketball, for instance...but I do like baseball and I have quite a few of the baseball games. I also have some football games though I'm not particularly good at those.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only modern sports game ive played for any decent amount of time is Red Card soccer; mainly because of the novelty value

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Golf & racing for me, plus the occasional Genesis baseball or hockey title.

Oh, & NES BaseWars rocked back in the day. Someone should do a next-gen update.

I've never even touched a Madden game in my life.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i voted NO! i played many classic sports games (back in the day and sometimes still) but the modern sports just don't do it for me. i would rather watch the real thing!

Rick

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Only sports games I've ever liked are bad news baseball for NES and Deathrow for Xbox and those too are highly unrealistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

The only "sports" games I've ever had more than a remote interest in are the silly ones, like Mario Tennis. And, uh, does Blitzball count?

I voted no.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going with a big yes on this. I play a lot of sports games modern and classic. I just love sports in general. Everyday I do something sports related. I lift on a regular basis play basketball 4-5 times a week, play football whenever we get enough people for it, but when I dont have time or I just want to try something out, I go ahead and pop in Madden or Live or NHL and just enjoy and unwind.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to casually watch some sports. Unless it comes to motorsports, I guess that I'm not a diehard sports fan. I could care less that I miss hockey games during the season. I don't play sports games, mainly because, in the case of football as an example, I don't know HOW to play, and sports game manuals ASSUME that you know how the game is played in real life. Having said that, I enjoy putting NFL 2K1 into my Dreamcast and having the AI play both teams. The game is incredible to watch. One day I'm going to learn to play it. I can play baseball games and enjoy tennis and golf games.

I FINALLY found a hockey game that is so tweakable that I can actually play it. Last year's excellent ESPN NHL 2K5. It's presented as more of a videogame than a regular sports game, with tons of fun unlockables. It's fun to play.