Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default New Forum -- Set Dates here?

So, I see the mods finally started to split the 'gaming' forum into a 'classic' one and 'modern' one.

I know what the title says -- anything before the PS2. The PS2 was launched in the US, if I recall correctly, in October of 2001.

So, basicaly, anything about games or systems from 2000 and eariler should be in the 'classic' forum and anything 2001 and beyond here in the 'modern' one?

Just wanted to clarify so I don't make a post in the wrong area and get flamed.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Correct! A winner is you!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

PS2 launched in 2000 in the US.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Was it 2000? Okay, that's why I was asking because I was'nt sure. So I guess anything from 2001 past goes in modern and 2000 is kind of a 'bumper' year that can be used in both topics.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A question along the same lines...

A game is coming out for a system that is not in the 'modern' gaming section, but is closer to 'modern' than classic -- AKA, a new Dreamcast title. Let's say the game is Chaos Fields, as it was released port-mortem. Now, that game may also be converted into a modern platform -- GameCube (or PSP or DS or whatever). Where does that information go? Modern, or classic?

The Dreamcast is really in a little class all by itself, as it isn't being supported directly any more but there is still a small trickle of games being released for it. Personally, I don't know if that makes it 'modern' or 'classic.' Mods?
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets just go with all systems that are curently in production, and beyond.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't really see the point of all this, but whatever. Now I have double the forum jumping to basically post about the same thing ;D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    A question along the same lines...

A game is coming out for a system that is not in the 'modern' gaming section, but is closer to 'modern' than classic -- AKA, a new Dreamcast title. Let's say the game is Chaos Fields, as it was released port-mortem. Now, that game may also be converted into a modern platform -- GameCube (or PSP or DS or whatever). Where does that information go? Modern, or classic?

The Dreamcast is really in a little class all by itself, as it isn't being supported directly any more but there is still a small trickle of games being released for it. Personally, I don't know if that makes it 'modern' or 'classic.' Mods?
    It's PS2 and forward for modern gaming, so Dreamcast goes into classic gaming. The forums are divided up by console, not releases. Discussion of Dreamcast games, even new ones, will go in Classic Gaming -- the same as homebrew Atari 2600 games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    It's PS2 and forward for modern gaming, so Dreamcast goes into classic gaming. The forums are divided up by console, not releases. Discussion of Dreamcast games, even new ones, will go in Classic Gaming -- the same as homebrew Atari 2600 games.
    That's what I wanted to know. Weird, but hey, whatever.

Actually, as one more question along these lines, does this mean that multiple threads about similiar topics -- AKA A comparison of Chaos Fields DC vs. GameCube or Mario 64 vs. Mario DS -- would be allowed in both topic threads and if not, which thread would be kept open? I've made the mistake of posting a thread in the main forum and having it locked because it was already in another forum, and since I personally tend to follow one board per message board that I post at, I'm just curious about how this will work.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

So, Flack, was I right for a rough date line split, then? So I don't accidently post topics in the wrong forum? Is it 1999 and before in Classic Gaming and 2000 and beyond here in Modern Gaming? Because the Dreamcast and N64 still had games coming out for it in 2000, even though the PS2 came out late that year, and Joe said the PS2 is where this forum should start. Sorry if I'm making this more confusing then it needs to be, I just want to make sure I understand.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    So, Flack, was I right for a rough date line split, then? So I don't accidently post topics in the wrong forum? Is it 1999 and before in Classic Gaming and 2000 and beyond here in Modern Gaming? Because the Dreamcast and N64 still had games coming out for it in 2000, even though the PS2 came out late that year, and Joe said the PS2 is where this forum should start. Sorry if I'm making this more confusing then it needs to be, I just want to make sure I understand.
    Criminy. 'Blazer, ya kuh-nucklehead. It's based on system release. SYSTEM. Game releases wouldn't count, else we'd have "Atari 2600" under Modern, as a small stack of new homebrews seems to be released each month. As well as Sega CD, Colecovision, etc.

Also, I don't think the Mods are gonna be too hardassed while we get this new forum split sorted out.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ye gods, just put it into whatever forum MAKES SENSE.

I think flack summed it up fairly well:

Very obvious, and I wouldn't have thought anyone would need that actually CLARIFIED, but at least now, it is
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Also note:

"cross-era" threads like "what's the best Castlevania game" or "weekly finds" will stay in whatever thread they're posted in. Don't be too concerned about posting in the right or wrong place, the crew here will shuffle things accordingly.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks for the clear up. Personaly, I do better with years instead of systems.....but whatever works. I was also wondering about PC games, since I seem to be the only one here who plays PC as well as console games, but the information did make that clear as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Lets just go with all systems that are curently in production, and beyond.
    That's definitely the best way to divide things. Production consoles will always have worth conversation, but those systems that longer have full production or suck, are better suited for the classic cat.

Let's just not get anymore divided then this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    You are definitely making it more confusing than it needs to be.

The PS2 was released in the US on October 26, 2000. Any system with a release date of October 26th or newer should be discussed in this forum.

Any game for any system released on October 26th, 2000 or since then should be discussed in this forum.

Any system manufactured on October 25th, 2000 or before should be discussed in the classic forum.

Any game for any system manufactured on October 25th, 2000 or before should be discussed in the classic forum.

I must be explaining it poorly because it seems really simple to me.

Like Joe said, don't fret about it too much. If stuff gets posted in the wrong place, we'll move it. If stuff can live in either area, we'll leave it where the poster posted it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DreamCast does NOT belong in Classic! It's the current generation! It is technically the current generation! It belongs in Modern! How can anyone call it Classic? Saturn is classic! PSX is Classic. N64 is Classic. Those three competed in the last classic generation. The DC was the first competitor of THIS generation. So why would we put it in Classic? My mind is reeling!

I say 1999 and beyond. Not 2000. Don't blame Sega for releasing it early. Blame Sony for putting the PS2 out late!

Seriously though, DC = Modern. DC equals Modern!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Welp, what can we say. You can't please everyone.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I can't believe that this conversation/argument is going on in not one, but two threads. Who cares? The DC is not being sleighted because it was but in the classic systems forum. They had to draw the line somewhere. If they had put the DC in with the modern systems, then instead of you guys bitching about it, there would be a seperate group of people moaning about how the DC is a dead system and belongs with the classics.

It's just like then Joe updated the boards with the meseta and item shops and arcade. People had to come out of the woodwork and complain. "I liked it beter the old way". "I don't get enough meseta when I post". "I want my fruit back".

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    You can't please everyone.
    Chris

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Flack, you're a little late with the reply, but thanks for the information anyway.