View Poll Results: ... and which is your favorite?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pooyan

1 5.26%
  • Circus Charlie

2 10.53%
  • Time Pilot

5 26.32%
  • Scramble

1 5.26%
  • Super Cobra

0 0%
  • Gyruss

7 36.84%
  • Yie-Ar Kung Fu

1 5.26%
  • Shao-Lin's Road

0 0%
  • Road Fighter

2 10.53%
  • Roc 'n Rope

0 0%

Thread: Konami Classics talk!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Konami Classics talk!

I love this game for my PSX, with pretty much spot-on arcade-perfect conversions of Time Pilot, Scramble, Pooyan, and other greats.

Well, haven't played it for a while so hooked it up and concentrated on ... Road Fighter!

My previous high score of about 70k was obliterated by my new score of 160k!!

I actually finished the race, which is about 5 or so individual stages! I had never done that before -- I think I was in 12th place in the end.

I learned a few secrets as I played for these few hours. For one, if you don't crash for a little while, a jet may appear, giving you a quick 3,000 points when it hits the top of the screen. Just an awesome little eye candy thing and points bonus for doing well. A flying Superman may also fly up screen, and sometimes it's a train. Cool little extra's I'd never noticed before. As I raced the 'real' opponent cars past the slower passerby cars, I realized this game was a lot deeper than I had initially given credit.

Any Konami Classics (or, Road FIghter) players?

(_)3 Cafeman

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There were only a few reasons that I bought a PSone back in December, 1999. One was Twisted Metal 2, and the other was the opportunity to play all of the old school arcade collections (I did not know about PC emulators at the time). So, the first games I bought were: Pac Man World, Arcade Party Pak, Konami Arcade Classics, Twisted Metal 2, and WWF Smackdown. I still enjoy these games to this day, but I must admit that I have a soft spot for Time Pilot and Yie Ar Kung Fu. I can't say that I'm a big Road Fighter fan, but I've never really given it a chance. I'll have to bust it out after I get done playing through Castlevania: SOTN. That game is unbelievable!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep. Konami Aracade Classics for the psx is MIGHTY. I luv it. I mainly play Scramble on it however.

I'm sure you know this as well but if you haven't checked out KAC for the GBA, do so. It rocks as they add a number of optional "enhancements" to the games as well

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Probably my fave retro comp on the PSX. The only thing that bugs me is you can't watch the attract screens like you can in the arcade. Why they did it like that is beyond me, but it's a minor quibble.

Selection of games is excellent (though there still could have been more, I'm glad they at least went beyond the 6 games per disc of the Namco and Williams/Midway/Atari comps.) Play is spot on. Could have been a little more generous on the extras, but again, small beans.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I <3 my KAC disc. I also <3 my KAA (GBA) cart. The extras on the cart are cool, especially the autofire on Time Pilot. Should point out as well that the cart (while omitting most of the games found in the PSX version) includes Rush 'n' Attack and Frogger, which are not on the PSX rev.

EDITORIUM
    Logged my vote for Time Pilot. BTW, I'm wondering about the fact that I cordially dislike Scramble. As in, I suck, and I don't plan to get any better. Does this shoot my classicgaming cred?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this one's a PSX staple. My game of choice on it is TIME PILOT. Just can't get enough of shooting those planes, 'whirlybirds and UFOs down. If only they had included the sequel.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Road Fighter was always an ignored game for me. I'm glad I gave it a chance now.

To be honest, I probably mostly bought Konami Classics for Time Pilot and Gyruss. I love shooters. However, concerning Gyruss, once I get "3 warps to Earth" the game gets SO fast that I quickly die. I've never seen Earth!

I also suck at Roc-n-Rope, but I'm trying to learn it.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gyruss rocks. I used to practice on the Atari 8-bit version and finally got good enough to make it to earth twice in one game whilst playing the arcade version.

Plus, gotta love Bach! Excellent use of music to add to the frenzied pace of the game.

*goes off to bust out Konami Classics*
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Hey Cafeman!

I'm adding a poll to your thread so we can get everyone's favorites here too. Hope ya don't mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys don't forget that in Time Pilot for the GBA they added an extra stage (If you didn't know already).

Basically you shoot pterodactyls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat my Road Fighter score again .. I have over 180k now! However, I got this score but didn't get to the finish line. My prior high score of 160k, I got a lower score per-section but made it farther.

Here's what I learned about Road Fighter High Scores. If you don't crash, the Fuel Cars keep increasing in points values. This lasts across rounds! The points go from 300, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, then 10,000! I kept getting 10,000 points for every fuel car, plus I was getting the 3,000 points for every Jet or Superman appearance.

Armed with this knowledge, I plan on hitting 200k soon. BUT -- and this is a big BUT (old Janet Jackson joke there!) -- you have to balance your safe points-getting driving with a wee bit of faster driving, or else you'll eventually run out of fuel too early.

@DigitalPress -- you know, lately I've been forgetting things, not remembering things I've done or talked about in the past. When I saw this was a Poll ... well, it alarmed me a bit. heh.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both the Playstation and Game Boy Advance versions of Konami Arcade Classics are fantastic... Konami went to painstaking lengths to make the Playstation games perfect and the Game Boy Advance ports very, very close. There are some sound issues in the portable version, but eh, even Yie Ar Kung Fu's super scratchy voice digitization can be tolerated when you consider the cartridge's overall quality.
    What suggestions would you have for a Konami Arcade Classics sequel? Personally, I think a Game Boy Advance cartridge containing the original versions of the NES games that helped establish Konami as a major software developer would be terrific.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org