Thread: NES controller to Mp3 player

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES controller to Mp3 player

Didn't see this in the search so... :

Always nifty to see the crazy things people decide to do with thier things. Here's a NES controller converted to an Mp3 player. This is even wired to use the Start button as power, the Select button to change player options and the D-pad is Next/Previous track and volume. A pretty small mod in the big picture of what some people can manage, but still pretty cool IMO.

Here's a link to the site. It's in German so you may want to cut and paste into BabelFish first:
    http://www.futurenews.at/archives/82...P3-Player.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

It is pretty cool to see what people come up with.

It would be neat if someone put a LCD on the back of the controller so that you could see what you're listening to. Unless there is one, but I didn't bother to translate the text so I don't know what that one picture is of.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, now THAT is pretty freakin' cool (and/or VERY geeky)! That would be great if it did have a screen on the back. Do you know anything more about it?

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never like seeing original NES hardware destroyed for some fad project that nobody will care about in a few years. Nintendo isn't making any more of these. I mean, you wouldn't make a paper airplane out of the US constitution... though sometimes I think that certain politicians have done just that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice idea, but not how I would have done it...

Firstly, I would've used something like an iPod Mini or a Walkman HD, so at least it would be worth filling the gap in the controller (Who would take atiny MP3 player and deliberately make it bigger?)

Failing that, i'd have at least secured it in such a way that the USB was accessable without having to take the unit apart.

Secondly, I think the headphone socket is totally in the wrong place. Ok, fair enough that is where the hole would be left by removing the power wire, but I would have had it on one of the skinny sides, and certainly wouldn't have iPod headphones wired to it.

Thirdly, i'd have centralised the MP3 unit so that the LCD is above the Start / Select buttons, and I would've cut a hole in the pad to allow the LCD to be viewed.

If using a Walman HD (As stated above), I would also secure an inline remote to it. A Walkman (HD1 / HD2 / HD3 / HD5) would be an ideal unit to do this kind of modification with, as all the components would easially fit in the space provided by the NES pad.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Can't wait to see your version working Gemini...

That's pretty cool

I'd like to see someone turn an old brick Game Boy into an MP3 player actually...it has the screen and everything Or has that been done before?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    I never like seeing original NES hardware destroyed for some fad project that nobody will care about in a few years. Nintendo isn't making any more of these. I mean, you wouldn't make a paper airplane out of the US constitution... though sometimes I think that certain politicians have done just that
    I have a few broken nes controllers sitting around here. If I had a small mp3 player I would so make one of these. although putting in you pocket and walking would probably change tracks and mess with volume.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dan2357
    I have a few broken nes controllers sitting around here. If I had a small mp3 player I would so make one of these. although putting in you pocket and walking would probably change tracks and mess with volume.
    How is it broken? It is very rare for an original NES controller to break. They are built like tanks. When I was young, I would throw them full force at the ground in a fit of gaming induced just fell in a pit frustration. After years of such abuse, my controllers still worked.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I would throw them full force at the ground in a fit of gaming induced just fell in a pit frustration. After years of such abuse, my controllers still worked.
    One may suggest you have anger issues.

I had a NES controller break while just normally playing Excitebike...things happen sometimes...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    I would throw them full force at the ground in a fit of gaming induced just fell in a pit frustration. After years of such abuse, my controllers still worked.
    One may suggest you have anger issues.

I had a NES controller break while just normally playing Excitebike...things happen sometimes...
    I was 8 years old at the time. I had no idea that the NES wasn't purposely trying to screw me up Suffice it to say that I learned not to throw the controllers roughly around the time the SNES was released. Partially because of maturing, but also because the SNES controllers weren't nearly as durable: the L/R buttons break relatively easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How many original copies of the constitution still exist? I don't know shit about US history, but it's got to be less than half a dozen.

Conversely, there are TENS OF MILLIONS of original NES controllers out there. Probably close to 100 million. We're going to be seeing these things at flea markets when we're 90 years old.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never like seeing original NES hardware destroyed for some fad project that nobody will care about in a few years.
    You don't think people will want to listen to MP3s on the go in a few years? I think its a cool project!

Nintendo isn't making any more of these.
    I'm sure there are plenty of NES controllers out there. Besides, if we run out of NES controllers, we can forward a petition to X-Arcade to have them develop an NES adaptor for their excellent, arcade-class joysticks.

you wouldn't make a paper airplane out of the US constitution... though sometimes I think that certain politicians have done just that
    You make a good point on both counts.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't doubt that there are millions of NES controllers out there, but as a game collector, intentionally destroying classic gaming hardware is bad because there are only a finite number of these out there... eventually more and more will be lost due to other factors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dan2357
    How is it broken? It is very rare for an original NES controller to break. They are built like tanks. When I was young, I would throw them full force at the ground in a fit of gaming induced just fell in a pit frustration. After years of such abuse, my controllers still worked.
    You haven't put your NES to the test of Battletoads, I'm guessing :/