Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy birthday Nintendo DS!

Boy, was it really a year ago today that Nintendo dropped the DS on us? To me, it feels far shorter, though I suppose I am in Europe, and it did take a good six months for those triple A titles to start rolling in...

I bought my Nintendo DS on a bit of a whim. Thankfully, I wasn't made to regret my decision, though it didn't receive much love to begin with as all I had was Super Mario 64 DS and Star Wars: Episode III. But with the likes of Kirby, Phoneix Wright, Trauma Center, Meteos, Advance Wars DS, Sonic Rush, etc, this really is one of the most happening platforms on the market.

And the immediate future looks bright, and I'm sure year two will be incredibly successful. The likes of Animal Crossing: WW, Super Princess Peach and New Super Mario Bros. to name but three in-house titles.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. If you bought-in early, or only recently adopted. Wish you hadn't hopped on board? Wish you had done it sooner?

Here's hoping there isn't a GameBoy Advance 2 coming out anytime soon...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Birthday ds. I bought this system a little after launch and wasn't to excited about back then. Like you said we went a while with too many great games. I was playing Mario 64 and Mr. Driller a lot. But recently there are great new games coming out every week and i'm having trouble affording them all. I've really been enjoying Castlevania , Advance Wars and Metroid prime pinball. And I can't wait to get Sonic Rush and Animal Crossing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

It's been a good year for the system I think.

I'll never forget the DS launch day. I spent part of it in the hospital with some kind of bacterial infection (I think it was something I ate). My g/f was nice enough to pick up my pre-ordered DS with Mario 64 and Feel the Magic. By the time I got home from the hospital, the DS was waiting for me. Even though I felt like crap I still played the heck out of it!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't own one but will likely buy one this upcoming holiday season.

I've started to get really excited about a lot of the software, and I really hope the platform lasts for a very long time indeed. Hopefully Nintendo can focus on the software instead of putting out a bazillion revisions of the hardware.

I'm looking at a nice Ceramic White Japanese unit on ebay right now.....$150 shipped doesn't seem half bad.

EDIT: They NEED to make Pictochat part of the Nintendo Network though. I want PlayOnline-style content, with forums, chats, FAQ's, messaging, the whole 9 yards. That would add a huge dimension to the DS's appeal.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up a DS last week. It is by far the earliest adaption for me to a system... ever. Usually, it takes two or three years for me to buy a system.

Do I think I should've hopped on earlier? No. To put it nicely, the software that the DS had until just recently was horrible. I'm also still terribly disappointed that Nintendo didn't deliver on the promise of turning it into a PDA, which would've been a natural fit for the two screens with scheduling, calendaring, and so on. Oh well.

Yes, I know...

While the upcoming few titles for the system look great, Nintendo needs to keep delivering -- and keep having third parties deliver on better and better games. So far, there aren't that many third party titles that are really good. While the Nintendo games are great, without more third party games the system will run through another rough stretch over the next year or two.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I bought mine on launch with Feel the Magic, Mario 64, and Mr. Driller (well ok, taht ended up not coming out for a week or so later, but it was supposed to come out at launch).

I'm currently awaiting Mario Kart to arrive, and I've got Animal Crossing preordered with 1-day shipping, because I'm a huuuuge AC fan
    Egbert, I miss you...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    While the upcoming few titles for the system look great, Nintendo needs to keep delivering -- and keep having third parties deliver on better and better games. So far, there aren't that many third party titles that are really good. While the Nintendo games are great, without more third party games the system will run through another rough stretch over the next year or two.
    Aren't many good third party titles?! :/

Electroplankton
    Band Brothers
    Oueudan!
    Phoenix Wright
    Another Code (aka Trace Memory)
    Lost in Blue
    Castlevania
    Mr Driller
    Nanostray
    Trauma Centre
    Pac Pix
    Pac n Roll
    Feel the Magic
    Bomberman
    Zoo Keeper
    Meteos

Okay so the top three are Japan only so far but I'm sure you'll agree that's a good list of non-Nintendo games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Aren't many good third party titles?! :/

Electroplankton
    Band Brothers
    Oueudan!
    Phoenix Wright
    Another Code (aka Trace Memory)
    Lost in Blue
    Castlevania
    Mr Driller
    Nanostray
    Trauma Centre
    Pac Pix
    Pac n Roll
    Feel the Magic
    Bomberman
    Zoo Keeper
    Meteos

Okay so the top three are Japan only so far but I'm sure you'll agree that's a good list of non-Nintendo games.
    Okay, taking that picture down to the games with mass appeal, I'll give you Castlevania, Meteos (to a less extent) and Lunar, Rayman and Sonic which weren't on that list. Other than that, I don't see any games on there that make someone say, "I'm getting a DS because of ______."

I'm not saying that there aren't any other good games in that list, but the DS needs to have something unique to it from a third party, probably in a series of other games. A Resident Evil game for instance. Or a Final Fantasy. And so on. It seems like the third party hits are drying up while the first party ones are rolling on.

I could be completely wrong, but I'd like to see more third party stuff that is as good as the stuff Nintendo puts out.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Already a year ago? Time sure flies!!! Sure it had a very slow start, but now it seems to be in good health.

I shall celebrate by playing a bit of Trace Memory on my way back from work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow its been a year already. The DS was my first system perchased on its launch.
    My first DS has gone to live with my mom, and now I have a lovely blue one to match my sp.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I'm not saying that there aren't any other good games in that list, but the DS needs to have something unique to it from a third party, probably in a series of other games. A Resident Evil game for instance. Or a Final Fantasy.
    Both of which are on the way

I actually have to say that I think the third-party support thus far has been pretty good, and it shows every sign of getting better. I understand what you're saying, though, I wouldn't buy a Nintendo DS on the strength of third-party games, unlike many other systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Wow, already?! Happy Birthday

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, my dad bought me one for doing good in school(and if your wondering, no we're not rich). This may very well be my favorite handheld of all time(surpassing the NGPC).

I'm also still terribly disappointed that Nintendo didn't deliver on the promise of turning it into a PDA, which would've been a natural fit for the two screens with scheduling, calendaring, and so on. Oh well.
    Well, some is developing a Personal Organizer for it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, its been a year, well not over here anyway, as we get the usual Nintendo Europe treatment. I have been very pleased with my DS since I got it. I'm almost tempted to say it got me back into gaming again since its since then that i've really got back into it, although I got my Dreamcast out again and started buying games again for it at the start of the year, although that was only after I'd started reading the gaming press again due to my DS excitement, maybe.

Anyway, I'm here now and the DS has had many a brilliant game that couldn't really be done elsewhere and hopefully has a lot more to come. So far, most of the exciting stuff has stayed in Japan or is slowly making its way to English hands (Brain Training is on the release list and Lost In Blue, Trauma Centre, Electroplankton and Phoenix Wright are all out/coming soon in English, although Band Brothers is still missing despite originally been announced, and no Ouendan, which is an amazing game).

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    Any news site for this?

Would really be interested in it. I think Nintendo could really use the DS to come across to the masses and PDA functions are one of the obvious things they could simply implement. I'm glad they've finally announced Sudoku and Crossword puzzle games as these should have been there from the get go - especially with downloadable content.

I'm quite surprised at the release list for the DS to be honest. I thought there would be more games - especially because it is apparantely so cheap to develop for. I would have expected a rash of N64 ports, more racing games with maps etc. One great thing about this is the amount of quality new 2D games which look amazing - a lot of DS games seem to have a nice anime style to them. One bad thing is that quite a few licensed titles are just spruced up GBA games, however its easy to steer clear of those anyway.

Anyway, both Lost in Blue and Sonic Rush have been released in the last couple of weeks and i haven't got either of them so something is wrong with me - it seems quite a long time since I've bought a DS game. Although I definitely will pick up Lost in Blue although after reading people's impressions, think I'll pass on Sonic until its in the bargain bin (which reminds me i need to hunt for Zoo Keeper and Kirby in these, doh! forgot Kirby hasn't even been released over here yet, i think of it as a very old title)

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julio III

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    Any news site for this?

Would really be interested in it. I think Nintendo could really use the DS to come across to the masses and PDA functions are one of the obvious things they could simply implement. I'm glad they've finally announced Sudoku and Crossword puzzle games as these should have been there from the get go - especially with downloadable content.
    Not sure, it's listed in Nintendo Power as Organizer Plus being developed by SummitSoft( I think, or there the publisher). I've never looked for it because I wasn't really interested in it but there should be something out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A year, wow. I got my DS in Jaunuary and have loved it ever since, it offers a ton of truly one of a kind experiences that just make it instantly enjoyable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Great i get to celebrate the one year anniversary by playing it while waiting for my 360 :P.

Seriously what a year, the future sure looks bright for this baby.