Thread: Atari 2600 in Japan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 2600 in Japan?

I've never seen, heard, or played a Japanese Atari 2600 game (or if I have, I didn't know it was Japanese).

Was the 2600 popular in Japan? Or were the Japanese too busy with personal computers (not PCs, though) to bother with 2600s?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Atari 2600 in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    I've never seen, heard, or played a Japanese Atari 2600 game (or if I have, I didn't know it was Japanese).

Was the 2600 popular in Japan? Or were the Japanese too busy with personal computers (not PCs, though) to bother with 2600s?

I didnt even know It was released in japan =)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was released as the Atari 2800. I believe there were quite a few games released. I'm pretty sure they were all ones released in America, probably with little to no differences.

It didn't do very well for a good reason: It wasn't released until 1983, the same year the Famicom came out.

Here's are a couple pages with some pics:

http://aizuma.hp.infoseek.co.jp/atar...ATARI2800.html
    http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogame...800/A2800.html
    http://www.freelancer-games.com/MP/A2800.htm

I find it kinda funny that they released ET over there!

In case you're wondering... before the Famicom was out, the Epoch Cassettevision was probably the biggest system in Japan. (But before the Famicom home gaming wasn't nearly as popular in Japan as it would later be.)

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Always wondered this myself. Thanks for the info.

I'm surprised there's no Japanese gaming history book out there. I know about Power-up and Game Over, but I'd LOVE to read a full history of the industry over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there are some Japanese video game history books but they are all in Japanese. I have Sega arcade history and Sega consumer history books. I don't think the Atari 2800 was popular at all. Bandai released Intellivision, Vectrex, and Arcadia 2001. These consoles may have been imported: Odyssey, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, Channel F but I think they were American versions with maybe a sticker on the box. None of them did well and if you check the prices on Atari 2800, Bandai Intellivision & Bandai Vectrex stuff on eBay you'll see they are quite valuable and come up for sale very infrequently.
    y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y-bot
    I think there are some Japanese video game history books but they are all in Japanese.
    There sure are, though many focus on one system. I can only think of one book that deals with pre-Fami stuff much, but I can't recall how much -- it might deal with handhelds/electronic games a lot/primarily.

Bandai released Intellivision, Vectrex, and Arcadia 2001. These consoles may have been imported: Odyssey, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, Channel F but I think they were American versions with maybe a sticker on the box.
    The Odyssey2 definitely was, by a company called "Kouton". I have no idea what else that company did though. Maybe it was only an importer, not a manufacturer too like Bandai...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash
    I think there are some Japanese video game history books but they are all in Japanese.
    There sure are, though many focus on one system. I can only think of one book that deals with pre-Fami stuff much, but I can't recall how much -- it might deal with handhelds/electronic games a lot/primarily.

Bandai released Intellivision, Vectrex, and Arcadia 2001. These consoles may have been imported: Odyssey, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, Channel F but I think they were American versions with maybe a sticker on the box.
    The Odyssey2 definitely was, by a company called "Kouton". I have no idea what else that company did though. Maybe it was only an importer, not a manufacturer too like Bandai...
    Are you talking about the book that's titled 70's/80's Electronic Games or something like that and there are little rarity meters for each system? It has old systems in the front, Famicom in the middles and handhelds/game & watch in the back. If so I have that book too. I saw it several times at shops when I was in Japan. I think it is the most popular price guide there.
    y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash
    Are you talking about the book that's titled 70's/80's Electronic Games or something like that and there are little rarity meters for each system?
    Yeah, that sounds right -- the spine is green?

It has old systems in the front, Famicom in the middles and handhelds/game & watch in the back. If so I have that book too. I saw it several times at shops when I was in Japan. I think it is the most popular price guide there.
    Were there many others? I haven't seen any others that cover a variety of older systems, but then again, I haven't seen that many Japanese videogame books of that nature period...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Surely japanese game stores don't use that price guide if you check the stupid prices they have.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The book I'm talking about is titled "Electronic Game Collectors: 1970-80's Choice". I was just saying it was the video game book I saw most frequently in Tokyo not that anyone used it as a price guide or that it was at all accurate. Just like in the US the prices are all over the place. I bought a boxed Bandai Intellivision for $30 in a shop that was selling used Duo A/V cables for $20. The thing I didn't see was much pre-Famicom stuff at any price. I expected to see all the rare systems that I've only seen in the above mentioned book for hundreds of dollars but I saw nothing besides a few Cassette Vision systems.
    y-bot