Thread: Wal-Mart Ineptitude in MD - XBox 360 Related

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wal-Mart Ineptitude in MD - XBox 360 Related

Here's my long winded 360 ordeal...

10 PM - My partners in crime and I arrive at Wal-Mart at for the midnight sale. Anywhere else, this would have been too late. Our Wal-Mart's hillbilly idiot management decided that it would be a good idea to announce that no line would form until 1115 and everyone had stay outside in the pouring, freezing rain and await an announcement detailing how the whole deal would go down.

10:30 - My friends and I mill about the store until the announcement time. An employee comes out and tells the increasingly agitated mob that they should gather around the fire exit (which had a big old sign reading "do not block") and await further instruction. 150 people formed a "U" around the fire exit. I work my way to the front. The rain continues.

11:00 - A number of cops arrive on the scene and watch from their vehicles.

11:15 - A pair of power-tripping retail mangers emerge from the fire exit and try in vain to move the crowd back before the cops declare the scene a fire hazard.

After realizing that no one was listening and people were beginning to push, one manager makes the official announcement that "THE LINE FORMS TO MY LEFT...NOW!"

A sea of humanity pushes from back to front, slamming half of the crowd up against the wall of the Mart. I see bodies dropping left and right. I throw off a couple tackles, catch a block from a rampaging beast of an obese trailer park skank and leap over the pile to emerge in about 10th position in the line.

11:20 - The cops shut down the Wal-Mart in the interest in public safety. Score one for incompetent management.

11:30 - I camp at Kmart and score a Core system.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Wal-Mart Ineptitude in MD - XBox 360 Related

Quote Originally Posted by Solar77
    A sea of humanity pushes from back to front, slamming half of the crowd up against the wall of the Mart. I see bodies dropping left and right. I throw off a couple tackles, catch a block from a rampaging beast of an obese trailer park skank and leap over the pile to emerge in about 10th position in the line.
    Alright, that was funny as hell.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Should have gone to Target. I received a system with no hassle, just a line. I got in line around 4:15 am and was walking back to my car with the system in hand at 8:05

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds to me like incompetent customers. Looks like management did all they could to keep people calm, but the thought of a new video game system makes people act like uncivilized idiots. If the people in line don't listen to the instructions of the store, then the police should have shut it down if it was getting out of hand.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv
    Should have gone to Target. I received a system with no hassle, just a line. I got in line around 4:15 am and was walking back to my car with the system in hand at 8:05
    That's about how it went down once I got to Kmart. It was actually fun hanging out all night with a bunch of random gamers. We played a little poker and watched some UFC videos on a laptop.

Of course I'm beat as fuck right now and literally slapping myself in the face every 10 minutes to stay awake at work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote
    Sounds to me like incompetent customers. Looks like management did all they could to keep people calm, but the thought of a new video game system makes people act like uncivilized idiots. If the people in line don't listen to the instructions of the store, then the police should have shut it down if it was getting out of hand.
    Nope. When you have a crowd of 150+ people looking to get one of 48 of the hottest items out there croweded around a single door and then tell them all to move in an orderly fashion, it just aint gonna happen.

When management saw it was getting out of control, they should simply have handed everyone a number and then picked randomly until the systems were gone. Not everyone would have been happy, but it would have diffused a potentially nasty situation.

Riot averted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

That was a funny read. It's crazy what some people will do on a launch day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Please guys -- post your 360 launch stories in the stickied topic at the top of this forum! Trust me, in a couple of years people will be asking, "what was the 360 launch like?" and then all the stories will be in that one thread! Don't miss out on tomorrow's history today yesterday's tomorrow a half past Wednesday (what?).

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74621