Thread: Should Sonic stay in 3-D?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Should Sonic stay in 3-D?

Or should he go back to his fun, 2-D roots?

OR should Sega try and make a Viewtiful Joe type, 2/3-D hybrid on the classic Sonic gameplay?

Just curious as to everyones opinion...

IMO, since the 3-D sonics have hit the market, Beginning With Sonic Adventure, the franchise has slowly, but surely, gone downhill. I'd like the game to go back to it's 2-D roots. But I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid style game. I think Sega could pull it off...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

2-D/3-D hybrid. Sonic Rush proves that the classic side scrolling gameply is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw Sonic Adventure as a masterpiece. It proved that Sonic can do 3d and 2d equally as good as each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't see anything really wrong with the first Sonic Adventure, except that it could've been longer.

The second one was muddled up with those crappy non-Sonic/non-Shadow levels. It was boring having to clomp around slowly for 20 minutes with Dr. Robotnik's stupid mech shooting things. I wish they'd keep the emphasis on the speedy Sonic-type levels from now on, but other than that, I don't mind 3D Sonic. A hybrid might not be bad though.

I haven't played Shadow yet, but I'm not sure I want to. There seems to be something rather unwholesome about tainting a pure and kiddy franchise with guns and other such weapons. I don't have a problem with GTA or anything like that, but I never really wanted to see Mario or Sonic get mixed up in that stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    I saw Sonic Adventure as a masterpiece. It proved that Sonic can do 3d and 2d equally as good as each other.
    Sonic's portion of SA is amazing to this day.

Sonic has consistenly been in 2D stuff over the years. The Advance series was fucking great and Rush is even better. Hopefully Sonic Team will craft the ultimate platform title with Sonic The Hedghog for 360/3. Dave Halverson at Play said something like "The next gen Sonic is what i've been waiting for my whole life." I agree, I have high hopes.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Nintendo Power had a feature a few months ago about 2D vs 3D, and they said that some games just work better in 2D.

I think Sonic is one of those games.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I can most certainly appreciate the bright primary colors of Sonic running on a Genny ( I love Sonic Spinball), I still remember the extreme WOW that I felt when seeing Sonic Adventure running on the Dreamcast for the first time. SO fast! Sonic in 3D is a 3D platformer game done "right".

Speaking of Sonic, tonight I nearly bought the game (on Xbox) that has you playing as a chosen team of 3. Is it any good? Rather, is it as zippy and fun as Sonic Adventure?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the series works in both 2D and 3D. The 2D games are typically better, but a few of the 3D ones do a good job.

In a slightly related topic, non-portable Castlevania games NEED to go back to being 2D. Sheesh!
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Adventure was amazing, really brought the series back to where it should of been after Sonic's lacklustre Saturn days (saying that, i've just got Sonic Jam and Sonic R in the post to me now ) Never tried Sonic Adventure 2 or any of the new 2D handheld games. I agree that in Sonic Adventure, Sonic's levels were the best with the other characters just as extras which didn't always work as well. I remember Knuckles levels could get quite boring and can't really remember Tails and Amy's. Bigs and E101s were quite nice as a short quick distraction from the main game though and didn't take long to finish - Bigs could of been shorter though.

I think Sega has happily seen a future with both new 2D and 3D sonic games. The next-gen 3D title looks amazingly detailed and for 2D we have Sonic Rush, which i'm not sure about purchasing, I'd rather get Sonic Pocket Adventure i think

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic was ruined for me the minute I played the first 3D title. I tried the other ones and still did not like them. I just don't think they could create that sense of speed in 3D that you get from the 2D titles. The vietiful joe 2D-3D is a good idea. I really enjoyed those games but of course I'd prefer a good 2D side-scroller over a 3D title any day.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have really enjoyed all of the 3D Sonic games (yes, even Heroes, although I've yet to play Shadow), but there's simply no denying that Sonic is at his best in 2D. As good as Sonic Adventure is, it just doesn't compare to Sonic 2 or Sonic CD, at least not in my books.

I'd love to see a 2D/3D sonic game on a console, although I think there's little chance that'll ever happen. Hopefully, the portable sonic games will continue to remain in 2D. Which reminds me of how badly I want to play Sonic Rush....Gah, christmas can't come soon enough!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never enjoied a single 3D sonic game, so my vote strongly goes for 2D.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I would have to say I wish Sonic would stick to 2-d. My girlfriend's little brother has Sonic Heros for ps2 and I played it for a little bit and I thought it was stupid. Maybe if I knew what I was doing or what the object of the game was I would of enjoyed it a little bit, but it was bad (and not a good bad either).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johno590
    I would have to say I wish Sonic would stick to 2-d. My girlfriend's little brother has Sonic Heros for ps2 and I played it for a little bit and I thought it was stupid. Maybe if I knew what I was doing or what the object of the game was I would of enjoyed it a little bit, but it was bad (and not a good bad either).
    It does help to know what you're doing in Heroes and it also helps to play the Gamecube or Xbox versions. They're far superior. Heroes is an odd multiplatform title b/c the GC was the lead development platform. You barely see that. RE4 doesn't count b/c it was supposed to be exclusive.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    While I can most certainly appreciate the bright primary colors of Sonic running on a Genny ( I love Sonic Spinball), I still remember the extreme WOW that I felt when seeing Sonic Adventure running on the Dreamcast for the first time. SO fast! Sonic in 3D is a 3D platformer game done "right".

Speaking of Sonic, tonight I nearly bought the game (on Xbox) that has you playing as a chosen team of 3. Is it any good? Rather, is it as zippy and fun as Sonic Adventure?
    It's an ok game, but don't go in with really high hopes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've enjoyed every single 3D and 2D Sonic platform game i've played. But truthfully the best 3D one is the first Sonic Adventure. It felt so special to play it the first time. But I will always see Sonic as a 2D game, because that is really what it is best at. The 3D games are fun but are ultimately still quite confusing from time to time, especially when there is a lot going on I always seem to fall off ths side. Whereas in 2D Sonic's if I fall off the side it's my own stupid fault, not the game.

I'd love to see a hi-res 2D Sonic on one of the modern consoles. It worked for the four swords on Gamecube.

Sonic Rush looks incredible though
    Currently collecting Amiga games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

2d>3d

Much as i like another, Soinic in 2d for consoles. That will never happen given how..much 3d is here to stay

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another serious vote for 2d. We have 3d games coming out of our ears, 3d remakes of classics have been done to death 100x over.

There is a SERIOUS lack of new quality 2d gaming goodness, just think of how wonderful the stuff would look and play with the high resolutions, framerate, color pallette, etc. that can be utilized.

Of course, gameplay > graphics any day of the week. Which explains why I had so much more fun playing GBA Castlevania, etc, rather than anything on the PS2 or Xbox.