Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen not impressed with 360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Next Gen not impressed with 360

----------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway. You see the most basic problem. Out of eighteen games, eight are maybe worth paying attention to; six of those actually have something to do with the system itself; two or three are actually original in some sense, and none of them actually provide any demonstration for what the system has to offer over current hardware, OR EVEN HARDWARE FROM TWO GENERATIONS AGO, aside from how pretty everything looks. -from next gen.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Ugh harsh words

...more proof that the DREAMCAST WILL NEVER DIE
    from the same article:

--------------------------------------------------------
    By most accounts Project Gotham is really amazing to look at, and plays exactly like the earlier games, which themselves were basically just enhancements on Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast.-next gen.com
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I say give it time. Look at the ps2 launch games, and look at where they are now. Theres plenty of time to improve, however I must say that many of these games do ALMOST look like they are from the current generation. Im buying the system for exclusives though, if it werent for elder scrolls 4 being in the 360 I probably wouldent be interested in it much.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to admit that my interest in actually buying a 360 has diminished faster than my love life in the last year

Ive decided to stay with my still new slim model PS2 and ever present DC for the long run since 90% of the mutliplatform games that will be released on the 360 will be released on the PS2 in one form or another anyway and Im sure some of the so-called "exclusives" like Ridge Racer 6 will be there for the PS3 launch also.

MAYBE Oblivion and a REAL TIGER WOODS UPDATE might change my mind but its highly doubtful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Moved. Xbox 360 posts go in the Modern Gaming forum, dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Next Gen not impressed with 360

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway. You see the most basic problem. Out of eighteen games, eight are maybe worth paying attention to; six of those actually have something to do with the system itself; two or three are actually original in some sense, and none of them actually provide any demonstration for what the system has to offer over current hardware, OR EVEN HARDWARE FROM TWO GENERATIONS AGO, aside from how pretty everything looks. -from next gen.com

Ouch, pretty brutal words about the X360. But to be honest, this is just the start of things. You really can't judge a console on it's launch games alone. The PS2 is a perfect example of that.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Moved. Xbox 360 posts go in the Modern Gaming forum, dude.
    yeah hah old habit of posting on the classics forum I havent broke yet.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried out the system at the local gamestore and i've not been impressed one bit. The games look like they could have been done on an xbox utilising its full potential.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

As many have noted, this is fairly typical talk for a new console, at least as far as the games go. I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.

However, I am noticing more dissatisfaction with the actual content of the games. Here's hoping we've reached a point with graphics where high quality is a given and people will start focusing on new and original game ideas again.

(I'm not holding my breath.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.
    Soul Calibur.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

[quote="Captain Wrong"]I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.
    [quote]

I dont know about anyone else, wen I first saw N64 in the stores I was totally away. I mean a 3-D Mario was so cool. But, you gotta remember I grew up on Atari and Nes, I didnt play much Snes when it was current.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Next Gen not impressed with 360

"the system has nothing offer over current hardware, aside from how pretty everything looks". -from next gen.com
    Isn't that true since the 80s? NES was Atari but replaced black backgrounds with detailed pictures. SNES was NES with more colors - think Mario Allstars. N64 = SNES w/SuperFX 3D but better. And so on. Same old games but prettier.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.
    Soul Calibur.
    I second that. Also, Dynasty Warriors 2 was the sole reason I purchased a PS2 on launch day.
    #vbender

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well....the first game that I ever saw running on an N64 was Super Mario 64, which blew me away because it was heads and tails above anything that preceded it. (The first game that I bought was Diddy Kong Racing and I was blown away by the "coldness" of the snow worlds!)

The first game that I saw on the Dreamcast was Soul Calibur, which likewise blew me away for the same reasons. It was far superior than anything that preceded it.

You shouldn't expect to be blown away to the same degree when you see the Xbox 360. We've seen close to this level for several years now. The 360 games do look super detailed though and there is a difference, but not as big a one....yet. Give it a few years and you'll crap your pants.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was blown away by Amiga's 16-bit graphics. Not impressed by PS1. Nor N64. Watching my nephews play - they looked bored.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing. And so are the human characters in X360 games. But good graphics don't make a good game. X360's games are nothing I enjoy. I don't like sports or FPSes.

That's why it's unimpressive.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea this is really harsh review, and early to boot. i mean this is along the same lines of reviewing a show on its pilot episode. before they get a chance to get their footing they have the floor ripped out from under them.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Soul Calibur.
    I knew someone was going to say that.

I was talking about an entire launch, not just one game. IIRC, the rest of the DC launch was pretty much panned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

OMG the early released games arent that impressive OMG, danger danger will robbinson.

Give me a break. The system is brand new of course the games aren't going to be that amazing. Look at some of the early PS2 games. Pop-up and fill in all over the place. (Summoner is a prime example) Its amazing when reviews show the extreme distaste for Microsoft.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    OMG the early released games arent that impressive OMG, danger danger will robbinson.

Give me a break. The system is brand new of course the games aren't going to be that amazing. Look at some of the early PS2 games. Pop-up and fill in all over the place. (Summoner is a prime example) Its amazing when reviews show the extreme distaste for Microsoft.
    True it's early but c'mon, show the gaming world something at launch that makes people want to open their wallets and join the "next gen" aside from the "EKSBAWKZ TREE-SIDDY is TEH KEWL" factor.

But that could be just me being jaded. Pretty much after the Dreamcast everything else that launched just seemed average. I didn't get my Xbox until almost a year later (and used) and I did't get my Cube until a couple months after Wind Waker came out (also used).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Soul Calibur.
    I knew someone was going to say that.

I was talking about an entire launch, not just one game. IIRC, the rest of the DC launch was pretty much panned.
    NFL2K was pretty impressive at that time, as was Hydro Thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As many have noted, this is fairly typical talk for a new console, at least as far as the games go. I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.
    Wasn't Halo a launch title? That of course was an amazing release at launch. Overall, I thought the Xbox had a pretty good release - Halo, PGR, DOA3, Oddworld, and Amped to name a few.

As far as being blown away, Call of Duty 2 is simply beautiful and has amazing gameplay, as is Kameo. The AI in COD2 is tough, and very adaptive. I know COD2 is available on the PC, but the only console its is available on is the 360. The other COD2 game, Big Red One, is a different game altogether.