Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

(if a thread for this exists, a search did not turn it up, and feel free to direct me thence and lock this one)

I find it surprising that no one is talking about this game! First, its Castlevania, second its actually much much better than Lament of Innocence! And I'm one of the few who like LoI.

The level design is more dynamic with better rooms and more to explore. The backgrounds are beautiful, simply breathtaking in places. The fighting engine is pretty much the same, but much simpler with a sword than it was with the whip.

The Boss fights are truly amazing. The second boss, a big wyvern, is totally awesome. The fight is dynamic and there is a real feeling of reward when you defeat it.

All in all, this game is really great. My only two quibbles are the storyline and the lack of interactive environments. The story is only a Castlevania story tangentally (although the appearance by Belmont is pretty cool) and doesn't really seem to have much impact on the overall Castlevania mythos. And the backgrounds are practically useless. Invisible barriers keep you from ever touching the walls inside buildings and the environment is static except for things that you need to interact with in order to complete the game. It makes the game feel a bit narrow at times, and limits the amount of exploration possible.

But like I said, these are minor quibbles overall in my mind. I am loving it!
    SO not the Drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'll end up getting the game when it's $20 at EB, mainly because LOI wasn't anything that great and this one doesn't seem that much different from it. Despite what other people say, Legacy of Darkness still holds the best 3D Castlevania title.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Re: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Possible
    (if a thread for this exists, a search did not turn it up, and feel free to direct me thence and lock this one)

I find it surprising that no one is talking about this game! First, its Castlevania, second its actually much much better than Lament of Innocence! And I'm one of the few who like LoI.

The level design is more dynamic with better rooms and more to explore. The backgrounds are beautiful, simply breathtaking in places. The fighting engine is pretty much the same, but much simpler with a sword than it was with the whip.
    Did you play the same game i did? I found the graphics on the low end and the double jumping was terrible. Just terrible. Now granted i've only play about 4 hours into the game, but i certainly don't find the backgrounds breathtaking.

I'm curious what Mr. P is gonna have to say about it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm....Well, I definitely need to try this one out at some point. It's good to hear that it's at least better than Lament of Innocence (which I hated with an intense, fiery passion), though I'm not getting my hopes up. Did they at least make the environments more interesting? That was one of my biggest problems with LOI, along with the boring enemies that you were given little incentive to kill, considering you couldn't level up, and you could pretty much just walk around them most of the time. :/
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I think that the backgrounds are really dynamic and interesting. There are some crypts and such that are really cool, and some of the cliff views are just awesome. Way better than LoI. The forest level is very cool, the town is cool, the outer areas of the aqueduct is nice.

The double jump is a bit lackluster, but I have rarely had need of it, so no big.

I love the weapon combining system and the nearly infinite ways to evolve your innocent devils, there is a lot of replay value in this for me.
    Plus with the ability to steal from enemies, as well as kill them for fun and prizes, there are all kinds of things to hunt for.
    Then there is always the bizarre "chair room..."

Tonight I beat the big Minotaur boss, and he was badass.

It is also nice to see more weapons and a lot of SotN elements like the Zweihander and Knuckle Duster, etc.

This is much better than LoI and I am loving every minute of it. njiska, I'm about 7 hours into the game, so yeah I think we are playing the same game, maybe just having different experiences!
    SO not the Drama.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Well, I think that the backgrounds are really dynamic and interesting. There are some crypts and such that are really cool, and some of the cliff views are just awesome. Way better than LoI. The forest level is very cool, the town is cool, the outer areas of the aqueduct is nice.

The double jump is a bit lackluster, but I have rarely had need of it, so no big.

I love the weapon combining system and the nearly infinite ways to evolve your innocent devils, there is a lot of replay value in this for me.
    Plus with the ability to steal from enemies, as well as kill them for fun and prizes, there are all kinds of things to hunt for.
    Then there is always the bizarre "chair room..."

Tonight I beat the big Minotaur boss, and he was badass.

It is also nice to see more weapons and a lot of SotN elements like the Zweihander and Knuckle Duster, etc.

This is much better than LoI and I am loving every minute of it. njiska, I'm about 7 hours into the game, so yeah I think we are playing the same game, maybe just having different experiences!
    Well to each there own. I think it and Lament both fall in to the same catagory, but hey that's just my opinion.

What really matter's is what Mr. P thinks and i can't wait for his review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been thinking of resurrecting this topic too, as I am also having a blast with Curse of Darkness. My love for all things Castlevania aside, I would go as far as to say that this game is incredibly underrated. The way I see it, they are finally closing in on doing Castlevania right in 3D.

It is a much better game than Lament of Innocence was, if for one reason alone: there is a purpose in killing enemies and whipping candles more than once. The candles are still a bit on the lame side, but getting the occasional random potion or meat is much better than always getting a $1 coin.

Killing enemies is much better because of the return of an experience based system. My biggest issue with LOI was that once the door was opened, the enemies respawned, but it was better to run than risk unrewarded damage. This fact, coupled with the repetitive maze of hallways, many sans enemies, left us with a game that simply wasn't any fun. I'm still only about halfway through it! COD has that addictive level-grinding element to it, especially considering that you also have familiars to level up.

The fact that the levels are no longer in such an obvious hub also makes the game a bit less irritating, but I will agree that the levels are the game's biggest weakness. There is a general absence of platforming and everything does look like a second generation PS2 game. This is the one area that needs to be worked on heavily if they want to release another 3D Castlevania. At least there are less instances of "kill everything to open the door" and fewer hallways devoid of enemies.

All in all, I am surprised at how much I am loving this game. The music is truly great, and the game does retain that gothic feel that screams Castlevania. The plot is a bit weak, but I don't play these games for deep storytelling. The combat is decent and fun, though not as deep as something like a Ninja Gaiden, but the whole Innocent Devil thing, coupled with weapon forging makes for a very entertaining and worthwhile experience. It can only get better from here, and I must admit that I have nearly forgotten the horrors of the 64. Not quite Symphony in 3D, but close enough to keep me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its much closer to Symphony in 3D than LoI. I love killing something or stealing and getting a new material. I rush to the combining screen to see what I can make now!

And I take back what I said about the non-interactive backgrounds, I just completed the Machine Tower (Clock Tower) and there are some really cool ways you have to interact with the environment to complete the level. So, while its still not as involved as I would like, its better than I thought initially.
    SO not the Drama.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its much closer to Symphony in 3D than LoI. I love killing something or stealing and getting a new material. I rush to the combining screen to see what I can make now!

And I take back what I said about the non-interactive backgrounds, I just completed the Machine Tower (Clock Tower) and there are some really cool ways you have to interact with the environment to complete the level. So, while its still not as involved as I would like, its better than I thought initially.
    As a huge Castlevania fan I have to disagree, this game is nothing like a 3D Symphony of the Night. This is not only the worst Castlevania game I've ever played, it is one of the worst games I've ever played. Sorry to burst your bubble but the game suffers from a way too quick release.
    I agree with exit on Legacy being the best 3D CV title to date.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the game seems allright but nothing special. if you didn't like loi i can't imagine you liking this one either. right now the camera is driving me nuts and there seems to be a lot of extra hallways to run through with nothing to do. a lot of walking is done in this game.
    yes i did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I liked LOI a good deal (even though I haven't beaten death yet!), but granted I got it for $5 used. Since HoD has gotten mixed reviews, I'll wait for it to be cheaper. I do want to try it though...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've decided to bump this topic instead of creating a new one on a related subject.

I've just started playing Lament of Innocence (which I've had in shrinkwrap for nearly two years). Aside from the two annoying issues mentioned previously (boring $1 candles and simply running past enemies after beating them once), I'm actually REALLY enjoying the game. I can't quite figure out why, but it's the first 3D action/platform type of game that I've wanted to return to after playing for the first time in a long time. I'm looking forward to actually playing it through - something else that I rarely do with modern games.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, see, then you are going to love CoD. Think LoI with MUCH MUCH more to do and better looking rooms. But best of all, a camera you control, one of the best camera controls I have seen for 3D (but I don't play the modern games so much so what the hell do I know)

I finally beat the final boss (I'm not giving it away) the other day and am on my way through a second time with the unlock character (which is mega-sweet) as well as continuing with my post-win saved game to find all the stuff I missed (chairs, mostly, and some rare items).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Curse of Darkness. Its the best of the Castlevania 3D's for sure, and one of the better Castlevanias all around in my book. (so there, James! :P )
    SO not the Drama.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Just played this at a friend's house today and really liking it. it's LoI the way is should have been to begin with.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    t's LoI the way is should have been to begin with.
    It's 2D?
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    t's LoI the way is should have been to begin with.
    It's 2D?
    It's 3D but the gameplay is moreso the way LoI should have been- fighting enemies with a purpose and to me, the backgrounds and designs look better instead of mostly the same thing over and over again (though some areas do look the same, not as repititve).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

I love CoD! I highly recommend this game to any castlevania fan.
    I have been waiting for a Castlevania game to take me back to some of the feelings and experiences I encoutered while playing through SoTN (my favorite Castlevania game) and this game finally did it. It reminded me so much of a 3D SoTN, hell even the main character of CoD seems to resemble a bit of Alucard.
    I don't even mind the simple, somewhat boring/cliche storyline. I have accepted the fact that it is that of a Castlevania side story. Besides, the other features and factors of the game more than make up for the lacking storyline. The custimization of that game is fantastic. Many many different weapons (the "Special" weapons were especially fun to play around with), a lot of armor to make with the proper, sometimes hard to find materials, and a variety of ways to customize and choose your familiars. Not to mention that game throws in some humor....some of the equipment you can make is outrageous and some of the chairs you can find around the areas are down right hilarious.
    Well then, enough of my ranting and raving about this game, I could go on for quite some time. This game recieves an A rating from me, atleast an 8-9/10.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you beat the game you can play as Trevor Belmont and it's AWESOME. He has a completely different move set and does heavy damage, turning it into a pure action game that is a ton of fun to beat.

The game itself I find to be much better than Lament. Though it would be better if everything moved twice as fast. I hate how damn slow the main character moves while "running." Pretty lackluster challenge. Lots of cool looking moves and the Megami Tensei-like demon summoning is fun.

I loved that they had those outdoor areas, that the game was set in the "castles" and "woods" that Castlevania got its US namesake from instead of just Dracula's Castle ver. 2.59 453 like the GBA games and Symphony.

The soundtrack is fantastic.

I'd actually say it is worth it for any CV fan, I am happy with my copy. When it hits $20 (has it yet?) everyone should grab it.

Good game overall, definitely not worth the $49.99 they wanted on release though to me.

I agree about Legacy of Darkness being the best 3D Castlevania. Oddly the controls in both the N64 titles are VERY tight and responsive compared to a lot of 3D action games I play today. They make it bearable today despite the aged textures and framerate. Great music and settings in those games as well.

Lament of Innocence, I swear to God that game was going to have 2D gameplay with 3D graphics until about a week before release when they decied to make every area twenty feet wide so it could be "3D."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I'm a CV nut and am sooo sorry I bought this game. It's the first CV game I've wanted to trade in, I kept it for collection purposes only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to say that this game had a wonderful soundtrack. I am still listening to it.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com