Thread: ebGames Rant!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Default ebGames Rant!

Well, Im sorry if theres another thread about problems with ebgames but here is my story.

My girlfriend bought me a Gameboy Advance SP for christmas and she ended up getting it from ebgames (and I told her I didn't really want her to get it there) so anyways she bought a warranty thing from ebgames as well.

Anyways she was telling me how much it was the other day and I was like what for? So she said she got the 1 year insurance/warranty deal for 10 bucks and I said oh, well I don't really need that'd and plus there isn't an ebgames around (closest is 2 hours away) I'd rather find a used game or something. So anyways I took back the warranty to get a refund.

I went into ebgames and told him that and hes like are you serious "You really wanna refund your warranty?" He goes "That's the stupidest thing you could do" What if you drop it or something bad happens to it. I felt like telling him to just refund me the money for the GBASP as well, because he was being such a jerk about it. And he really tried to make me feel like it was such a dumb thing and keep the warranty. I wanted to tell him a thing or two but I bit my tounge.

But what was his problem? I came in there and I was nice about it, and just said that I would like to get it refunded then he busts out with trying to make me feel like an idiot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pushy, annoying sales ppl, you gotta hate them! I used to have loads of problems w/sales ppl like this, but there seriously is a trick to dealing with them. You simply get this look on your face and in your eyes like you're ready to snap any second and just the slighest thing could set you off on a killing spree and they're generally VERY cooperative. Trust me it works, and I'm being dead serious.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum, I was going to put it in Modern, but then I didn't know if it was right.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

The guys who work at my local eb actually ask me if i want a warrenty for fun since i always turn it down. It sounds like the guy at your eb is just a complete idiot.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

The best thing to do is just remain silent, then when they ask you about the warranty again, just look at them and say "Did you know you can make explosives out of common household products? Yeah, you can make nitro glycerine out of gasoline and frozen orange juice."

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Originally posted by: Joshnickerson

The best thing to do is just remain silent, then when they ask you about the warranty again, just look at them and say "Did you know you can make explosives out of common household products? Yeah, you can make nitro glycerine out of gasoline and frozen orange juice."
    Fight Club 3:16

God Bless Tyler Durden!
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about ebgames, but the store I work at, it is a very big hassel to return items and so forth, a lot of paper work to fill out. Personally, I don't think that people should return stuff lightly, but then again, where I work it is a big hassel...

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He did that because those bogus warrantees are a higher profit margin than the product they sold you. Therefore, he would be really reluctant to refund the paid warranty.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    He did that because those bogus warrantees are a higher profit margin than the product they sold you. Therefore, he would be really reluctant to refund the paid warranty.
    That's what I figured. They make 100% profit off of those warrantys. He acted like it was going to take a while or it was going to be a hassle but it honestly about a minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I woulda punched him in the grill. Well thats just me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ebGames Rant!

Quote Originally Posted by johno590
    plus there isn't an ebgames around (closest is 2 hours away)
    so you drove 2 hours to get a $10 refund?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those service plans are a 100% profit sale. Plus they take up no inventory room or shelf space so they can sell (theoretically) infinity units with no distribution fuss... and you wonder why they aren't exacly eager to give you a refund on such a purchase? Don't even get me started on the bonus/commission sales programs for these things... grahh! Your very lucky it was EB you were dealing with... other chains, say such as Best Buy wouldn't have budged a micrometer on a refund. Honestly I'm suprised they didn't prorate your refund... if you even got one at all.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Pain
    Those service plans are a 100% profit sale. Plus they take up no inventory room or shelf space so they can sell (theoretically) infinity units with no distribution fuss... and you wonder why they aren't exacly eager to give you a refund on such a purchase? Don't even get me started on the bonus/commission sales programs for these things... grahh! Your very lucky it was EB you were dealing with... other chains, say such as Best Buy wouldn't have budged a micrometer on a refund. Honestly I'm suprised they didn't prorate your refund... if you even got one at all.
    Well I read the booklet they included with it and it says you could get a 100% refund within 30 days... so I knew I could get my refund.

Quote Originally Posted by tmlfan

so you drove 2 hours to get a $10 refund?
    No, I was looking to buy a few other things and I had to pick up a ring that I had sized for my girlfriend, and she had some stuff to return. So I figured I would do that while we were there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toys R Us also has those extended warranty plans. We call them "Buyer Protection Plans" and the bullshit thing is Toys R Us doesn't cover the warranty, a 3rd-party warranty company called National Electronics Warranty does. So we just sell the plan, and the customer registers and goes through everything w/NEW. So it's a pain in the ass, because you have to ship your damaged product to them and have them ship you a new copy or a check for the price you paid instead of coming down to the store like GameStop and EB does. Also, instead of everything being a replacement plan, if a product is over $249.99, it falls under the SERVICE plan, which means you have to take it to an appointed service shop, get it fixed, and NEW will reimburse you.

On the one hand, it's a decent idea. You get a 2nd year of warranty after the manufacturer's warranty ends and it covers normal wear and tear, and in the case of video games you get a one year warranty for $3, where games never have warranties (they may have a 30-90 guarantee from the publisher if you fill out the registration card but that's about it) and you can get a brand-new copy or a check for what you paid for the game if in 6 months your game starts skipping and won't read.
    BUT my managers have to make such a big deal about selling these things. They literally yell at us if we don't sell any. "Why haven't you sold any BPPs?" "Because no one is saying yes!" "You're just asking wrong" It's bullshit.
    I think they're a good idea, depending on the product. $8.99 to warranty your SP or GameCube for an extra year? A total of 2 years coverage, that gives you some leeway just in case. $3 to cover a $50 game in case of scratches?! I get $50 back if my game breaks. Say the game I orignally bought is down to $20 by this time, I can buy a new copy if I wanted to and have $30 for another game.
    But it's true, in all the retailers that sell these extended warranties, they are 100% profit, so they will make the biggest deal about them, and that's stupid b/c you should feel obligated to buy one or feel guilty for having to return them. I'm always disappointed when someone says no, but I'm not gonna cry or bitch and moan. And EB shouldn't either. That guy was acting real stupid. First of all, you don't act like that towards customers, second of all, deal with it. I'm glad he wasn't talking to ME like that, or he would've gotten it (and I try to avoid being a bitchy customer because I know how horrible it is to get those being a retail worker myself, but piss me off enough and boom!)
    So it's not just EB, all retailers are like that because they're being forced to sell these warranties and meet a quota and such. It's also not that much of a waste of money. And at least EB and GameStop do it through the store unlike TRU where you gotta ship it out and pay shipping :P
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've had a few experiences with people like that at EB and Gamestop/ This one guy at EB flipped out when I asked him if the game came with instructions, he said something like "It's a used game store, these games are used!" over and over again as if it were something new to me. Well long story short I told him I didn't want the game anymore and to give me a refund.

The thing is I would have bought the game regardless, he was just being a fucking prick and had an attitude because he had to get off the phone for me. I now usually only deal with one person that works there, since he's always been cool with him and would go out of his way to check on something for me even when i didn't ask him to.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't pay to be a dick to customers. Even when I get pain-in-the-ass, stupid, bitchy customers, I do my damnedest to be "nice" Sometimes I'll be a smartass, but in such a way that it's not blatant. . But in gerenal, I'm a nice person, even if you don't deserve it, because I don't want to get yelled at by my managers. I usually wait 'til the person leaves and call them "fucking idiot" or "asshole" under my breath so no one can hear me .
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry, but EB Games employees are dicks.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even me?

Or were you implying in a smarmy way that there are no more EB Games employees?

WE ARE THE GAMESTOP !!
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !!
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Sometimes a warrenty makes great sence. With my new TV, 5.1 speaker system, and PSP (all bought at Best Buy) I purchased the extended warrenties on them. It gave me coverage for 7, 5, and 3 years, respectfully, on the items.

And I was glad I HAD one when my PSP broke after having it for a month. No problem getting a new one. I just went to the customer service desk, handed over the PSP and my little book they give you with the receit and warrenty, explained my problem, and had a new PSP and was out the door in five minutes.

It really depends on how much the item cost and what you intend to use it for. Anything I paid over $100 for I'd want a warrenty. But games, no way. I'm the only one who plays them and I take great care of them.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well the emploees at EB games in north haven CT are nice

they may call me names after i leave but they never gave me a hastle. i have ordered games from EBgames.com and returned them to that store or asked for games in better condition and they always changed them out for me (or gave me credit).

i have only met an @ss a few times especialy the "Its a used game!!" guy - i dont care if a game is used or $1 - i want to pay for the best condition items - if its missing instructions or looks like it came out of some ones @ss then i dont want it
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert