Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added the following four games:

Dawn of Mana. Square Enix, Square Enix, 5/22/07.
    Odin Sphere.* Vanillaware, Atlus, 5/22/07.
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce.* CyberConnect2, Bandai Namco, 5/8/07.
    Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm.* Gust, NIS America, 5/29/07.

Except for Dawn of Mana, none of the games got a published guide. However, since three games will be released in two and three weeks, I'll keep my eyes open if there are indeed guides coming out for those games. It were the first time that a Dot hack game would not get a guide.

If you have information that Odin Sphere, dot hack GU 2 or Atelier Iris 3 has a guide, please let us know.

I'll also watch if the upcoming release dates for the games are correct.

HEADS UP: Not only Grandia III, Xenosaga III, and Tales of Legendia ended up in the Circuit City bargain bin, but DISGAEA 2 for $16.96 as well since last week. Certainly a good price for a game that usually goes for $50.

By this time they are probably all gone, but it never hurts to check after awhile since restocking is unlikely but sometimes indeed happens.

ANOTHER HEADS UP: A couple of weeks ago CC had for all games $16.96 and cheaper a special 25% price discount for a week, and the $17 games dropped to $12.50. I assumed that CC makes price adjustments for about a week or so and was surprised to learn that they do it for up to 30 days. (which means that I got 3 RPGs and other games for $12.50 although I just made it on the 31st day after purchase)

If you bought a game and notice a price reduaction within the next 30 days, get the receipt out and do a price adjustment.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to mention another bargain:

AMAZON is selling Phantasy Star Universe for the PS2 for $9.99 for two days now, and sold for a couple of days Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS2) and Justice League Heroes (PS2) for $14.99.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is up to its old price ($30) and Justice League is slightly more expensive ($20) but it is worthwhile to check periodically since Amazon is known for dropping the price again, sometimes even cheaper than the old bargain price.
    Last edited by lendelin; 05-14-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up:

The so-called "GameDay Sale" from EBGames/GameStop (started today) for NEW games offers for PS2-RPGs the best bargains of the sale:

RPG Maker 3 $15
    Champions Return to Arms $15
    Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life SE $15
    Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition $30

The stores got well stocked since last week, so to find these games in store is very very likely.

In particular RPG Maker and Champions are for these prices a bargain. I can't remember when I saw RPG Maker 3 new in a store, not to mention for this price. (was used usually around $30)

The sale is also ONLINE since yesterday evening. Here is the link:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/gamedays/...okie%5Ftest=1&

If you use the discount code SAVER when ordering, shipping is free. Like in the store you only pay sales tax.

...and if you got sick and tired of RPGs you can always pick up the "Real World Golf" oversized package with club and motion sensor controller and strap for the bargain price of $20 (Xbox and PS2, offered only in-store, original price $70, dropped to $40, never saw it for this price). Is a "true" golf simulator a "true" RPG? I really don't know and I don't wanna know.
    Last edited by lendelin; 05-26-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up:

Amazon sells Justice League Heroes for the PS2 for $12.99. If your order is $25 or higher, there are no shipping charges, and, like always, no tax. (Strategy guides (like the new one for Dawn of Mana) are good fillers, and are in most cases cheaper than in-store prices of GS, EBGames, or the electronic chains; also cheap sports games from $2 to $4 are great to use as fillers.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...eapassgam08-20

Not a bad price for a game to fill up your RPG collection.
    Last edited by lendelin; 06-17-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another heads up:

Amazon sells Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PS2 for $12.99 as well.

Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...eapassgam08-20

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another heads up about an Amazon deal: (hope you don't get sick and tired of it)

Final Fantasy XII regular edition for $22.99. Order additionally a $3 sports game and shipping is free, and like always no sales tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-P2...2786310&sr=1-1

These Amazon deals won't last long. Usually they go back to the old price after 24 or 48 hours. If you don't want to wait until you get the game for $8 or $10 in a year or two, now is the time to get it it.
    Last edited by lendelin; 06-25-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all of these heads-up. I appreciate them, as I'm sure others do as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wish I would of found this sooner. I have an almost identical list saved on my comp.

Some titles to consider:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Konami) / Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Konami) - I'm always trying to find a reason to add these games. It has experience, levels, equipment, storyline, stats... but I still dunno if they should be counted.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom (Ertain) - I've never played. Looks like a hack n slash. Many places have classified it as an RPG.

Digimon World 4 (Bandai) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Interplay) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Midway Games West) - Arcadey Hack n Slash.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (Midway Games) - More traditional Hack n Slash RPG.

Pirates: Legend of the Black Kat (7 Studios) - Hack n Slash RPG of sorts, haven't really played it.

----

Samurai Legend Musashi is an RPG and should not be in borderline.
    Furthermore, I remember hearing that monster Rancher EVO was an RPG this time around that abandoned many of the simulation elements of the previous games.

I've never understood why Harvest Moon (and RIver King for that matter) were considered RPGs. Enlighten me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added:
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Atlus, Atlus, 8/14/07. (Got guide from Doublejump in book format)

The game was also added to the list of special editions:
    08) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. The cardboard box contains an art book and a soundtrack CD in a regular white slip cover. Sold only in the deluxe set.

It seems that this won't be the last deluxe set we get for a PS2-RPG; Wild Arms 5 will come in one (scheduled for end of this month) and Growlanser: Heritage (scheduled for September) will get a deluxe set in the tradition of the Working Designs special editions.

I think the collector's edition stuff gets a bit out of hand; an additional art book alone with a CD doesn't justify a price increase of ten dollars. It seems that the special edition policy is a way to keep the price up to $50 for a niche genre like RPGs at the end of a consoles life.

I liked the NES and SNES times better when we had hardly collector editions; for RPGs it is still harmless (nine out of 130 so far), but for other genres it is certainly exaggerated.

BTW, the games themselves in the deluxe sets are identical with the regular editions. There is only one game which has a different cover art, manual, and disc label from the regular version. (FF XII)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added:

Wild Arms 5. Media Vision, XSEED, 8/28/07. (guide from Prima)

Added to the list of deluxe sets:

10) Wild Arms 5. The cardboard box (“Series 10th Anniversary Edition”) contains an art book covering the entire span of the series. Sold only in the deluxe set.

According to the publisher (XSEED) the game is only available in the set. Although the press release stresses this this goes for launch titles only, I doubt that the game will see a print run sold without the art book and box. However, if the game will be sold in a regular version without the box I change the entry of the deluxe set list.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added:

Standard RPG list:

.hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption.* Cyberconnnect2, Bandai Namco, 9/11/07. (No guide)
    Growlanser: Heritage of War.* Atlus, Atlus, 9/18/07. (No guide)

Deluxe set list:

06) Growlanser: Heritage of War. The cardboard box includes a hardcover art book, a multi-media disc with art and music from the game, a keychain, two lenticular cards, and three pins. Sold only in the deluxe set.

Updated # of games: 123

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I added:
    [b]
    BTW, the games themselves in the deluxe sets are identical with the regular editions. There is only one game which has a different cover art, manual, and disc label from the regular version. (FF XII)
    Actually I think Star Ocean 3 LE adds some extra content which was later included in the Greatest Hits re-release. The cover art is different as well.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There's no such thing as a limited edition of Star Ocean 3. There's just the original release, which were all in the cardboard boxes, and the Greatest Hits release. It's confusing because so many people threw out or lost the outer box, and then you'll see the game in just the case with the pink cover being sold as "complete".

The original release and the Greatest Hits version also have the same gameplay content. Square Enix made it even more confusing by talking about "extra features" on the back of the box. Japan got two different versions of the game - the original and the Director's Cut, but the US only got the Director's Cut in all versions.

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, there was a limited edition of the original Star Ocean 3 in Japan. When the game first came out, it was released with a clear white case, and there was a cool picture on the underside of the cover which you'd see through the plastic when you open the case up. I think they sold a ton of them, though, so it really wasn't that "limited".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

i dont think mmorpg games should count.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MMORPG console collecting got old faster then my GC broadband adapter.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There's no such thing as a limited edition of Star Ocean 3. There's just the original release, which were all in the cardboard boxes, and the Greatest Hits release. It's confusing because so many people threw out or lost the outer box, and then you'll see the game in just the case with the pink cover being sold as "complete".

The original release and the Greatest Hits version also have the same gameplay content. Square Enix made it even more confusing by talking about "extra features" on the back of the box. Japan got two different versions of the game - the original and the Director's Cut, but the US only got the Director's Cut in all versions.

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, there was a limited edition of the original Star Ocean 3 in Japan. When the game first came out, it was released with a clear white case, and there was a cool picture on the underside of the cover which you'd see through the plastic when you open the case up. I think they sold a ton of them, though, so it really wasn't that "limited".
    wow, I never knew that. Here I was always looking for the "regular" version. I'd get a lot on ebay with Star Ocean and be disappointed when it was the same ol LE I already had. HA! I guess I shouldn't have questioned a guy who calls himself the Tri-Ace super fan!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Q for you RPGrs: Since I have limited experience with RTS games and strategy RPGs, I'm really not sure if we should add GrimGrimoire and the new Soul Nomad & The World Eaters to the RPG list, let it be in the regular list or in the borderline category? What are your thoughts about it?

I know that both are RTS games, on the other hand they have a distinct RPG fantasy setting and atmosphere to them. I feel a bit strange to have Disgaea in the list but not Soul Nomad. Maybe in the Borderline list?

I removed Dirge of cerberus from the borderline list despite its strong RPG story background -- the gameplay goes really more in the direction of Devil May Cry, I think. (haven't played it yet, though)

I added Final Fantasy XII to the Greatest Hits list. I don't know if it is released yet as a GH game; it is scheduled for October 31st.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul Nomad is a StrategyRPG. GrimGrimoire is an RTS. I would consider putting GrimGrimoire in the borderline list, since it's story heavy and has a RPG-feel. Soul Nomad is part of the list.

You still need to add the ones from the post I made a few posts ups.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the regular list:
    1)Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. Nippon Ichi Software, NIS America, 9/25/07.
    2)Musashi Samurai Legend (changed from borderline list to the regular list)
    3)Digimon World 4. Bandai, Bandai, 6/1/05.

Added to the borderline list:
    1)GrimGrimoire.* Vanillaware, NIS America, 7/26/07.

Additionally, I removed the MMORPGs from the regular list and put them in a separate list after the borderline category. They really shouldn’t be in the regular list, and the entries include all FF XI games (added was FFXI: Wings of Goddess), Everquest Online games, and Monster Hunter.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vaportransmitter View Post
    Soul Nomad is a StrategyRPG. GrimGrimoire is an RTS. I would consider putting GrimGrimoire in the borderline list, since it's story heavy and has a RPG-feel. Soul Nomad is part of the list.
    Sorry to respond so late, but I was out of the country for six weeks with limited Internet access.

Completely agreed. I followed your suggestions and updated the list. (See the update post above)