Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked and saw actual pictures of the two games which indeed got a GH release.

I added

- Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories and
    - Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

with their respective SLUS numbers to the Greatest Hits-list.

Holy cow! How could it happen that I overlooked that?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does someone of you know if the special Edition of SMT: Devil Summoner 2 (with the Raiho plushie in see-through-packaging) was a Gamestop-exclusive?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I know I got mine at launch, and it definitely wasn't through GameStop. I think I just preordered it on Amazon?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I know I got mine at launch, and it definitely wasn't through GameStop. I think I just preordered it on Amazon?
    Thanks! Otherwise I would have made a note in the listings. I vaguely remembered that someone said it was a Gamestop exclusive like the first Dot hack.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There were minor mistakes in the listing of the special editions. I changed the SLUS numbers for SMT: Digital Devil Summoner 2 and Sakura Wars. I also added for the 'Rosenqueen Edition' of Mana Khemia II that the packaging has no SLUS number.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Does someone of you know if the special Edition of SMT: Devil Summoner 2 (with the Raiho plushie in see-through-packaging) was a Gamestop-exclusive?
    I dunno. But I know the .Hack//GU Rebirth was not. I passed it up at either Best Buy or Comp-USA on clearance.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm sure I got the plushie bundle from amazon. But I forget now if it was amazon itself or a marketplace seller. And it was probably a while after release.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I dunno. But I know the .Hack//GU Rebirth was not. I passed it up at either Best Buy or Comp-USA on clearance.
    This is a surprise! I was 100% CONVINCED that the edition was a Gamestop exlusive. I have to look into that very thoroughly. If you're right then I'll correct it, of course.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I'm sure I got the plushie bundle from amazon. But I forget now if it was amazon itself or a marketplace seller. And it was probably a while after release.
    Thanks for the info, I'm convinced in the meantime that this edition wasn't a Gamestop exclusive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A good chunk of these aren't rpgs. Some of them not even close. Might as well call GTA3 an rpg since you're "playing a role in a game". And CJ levels up his stats, and upgrades by either simply doing actions over and over again, or going to the gym.

Games with rpg elements are not rpgs and should not be labeled as such. Seperate genres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

This is a surprise! I was 100% CONVINCED that the edition was a Gamestop exlusive. I have to look into that very thoroughly. If you're right then I'll correct it, of course.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
    No problem. I remember because I'm still kicking myself for not buying it but my husband and I argued about spending the money at the time. :P

I'm sure it was Best Buy, but I say it might have been Comp-USA because they started selling video games towards the end and shared the same shopping center.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    A good chunk of these aren't rpgs. Some of them not even close. Might as well call GTA3 an rpg since you're "playing a role in a game". And CJ levels up his stats, and upgrades by either simply doing actions over and over again, or going to the gym.

Games with rpg elements are not rpgs and should not be labeled as such. Seperate genres.
    Granted Gladius is a stretch, but what doesn't fit? There's a borderline category for a reason, but the actual RPG list is pretty spot on.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, and any game like it are not rpgs. Kings Field is not an rpg. Kingdom Hearts games aren't rpgs, just advertising for Disney and Square. Odin Sphere, really? I could go on and on. Let's just call San Andreas an rpg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Lendelin: Oh! Check out Choro Q. It's a racing series with tiny toy cars, but set up like a traditional RPG. You drive around town, talking to NPC cars. Collect side missions, and race for money and level ups. It was published by ATLUS and they even advertise it as a "racing roleplaying adventure". I think it at least deserves a border-line inclusion. There was also a PS2 sequel released as Road Trip.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, and any game like it are not rpgs. Kings Field is not an rpg. Kingdom Hearts games aren't rpgs, just advertising for Disney and Square. Odin Sphere, really? I could go on and on. Let's just call San Andreas an rpg.
    Baldur's Gate and other Norrath engine games - Diablo clones. XP based level ups? Check. Equipment? Check. Side Quests? Check. Over-arching story quest? Check. Exploration? Check.

So what doesn't make Diablo an RPG exactly? In fact Diablo (and specifically the games you called out) are rogue-likes, RPGs characterized by their randomized dungeons and loot drops.

Kings Field - Precursor to the Dark Souls series for starters. A first person RPG in the vein of the Elder Scroll games. Again features stats, level ups, and exploration. You could also liken it to a real time Wizardry, or Might and Magic.

Kingdom Hearts - Riiiight.

Odin Sphere - Side Scrolling action RPG... you know what I'm just starting to think you don't know what an action RPG is.
    Last edited by Daria; 11-20-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rpg elements does not make a game a rpg. Baldurs Gates and the like aren't roguelikes. They're action rpgs where you actually control your character, instead of nonsense like point and clicking and fumbling through menus. There's no need for grinding, there's no running around towns trying to find the right person to talk to just to trigger the next boring story event.

You've obviously never played Kings Field or Odin Sphere.

This is just a copy paste of the other thread about somebody's personal collection. San Andreas and Castlevania is just as much a rpg if we're going by that nonsensical approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Rpg elements does not make a game a rpg. Baldurs Gates and the like aren't roguelikes. They're action rpgs where you actually control your character, instead of nonsense like point and clicking and fumbling through menus. There's no need for grinding, there's no running around towns trying to find the right person to talk to just to trigger the next boring story event.
    So like Kingdom Hearts they're not RPGs because you don't like them? Ok.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've obviously never played Kings Field or Odin Sphere.

This is just a copy paste of the other thread about somebody's personal collection. San Andreas and Castlevania is just as much a rpg if we're going by that nonsensical approach.
    The discussion is all about an agreed upon definition of a RPG. With my experience I can tell you, it won't happen. And it isn't even necessary.

I give you two examples of much more important topics than videogames. In Political Science we still don't have an agreed upon definition of 'party'; and this after decades of discussions. From empirical minimal definitions to pages of long content definitions every definition has its flaws. Still, research about parties is done in every country.

We also don't have a good definition of 'nation' and ethnicity' and what distinguishes both. Still, scientists can live with it and doing good research.

Very interesting would be the Q what we understand about 'classic gaming,' this is not resolved and probably we would run in similar problems. (In German literature Goethe and Schiller discussed for years what should be understood about 'Classic' Lierature and couldn't agree, and the discussion about classic gaming is very similar).

I can only repeat what I wrote in another thread (which you know well) in 2008 about the definition of a RPG:

"The lack of consistency is intentional because there was no better alternative. If we could agree on a definition with standards for a RPG we would certainly achieve consistency. Basically I sacrificed consistency on the altar of inclusion of borderline cases.

The reasons are twofold.

First, it would take a long time to agree on a definition, and once agreed we’d have problems with newly released games which stretch the genre again and change the need for a definition. (Deus Ex, Mass Effect) The time factor shouldn’t be underestimated; so far we still don’t have a useable and generally agreed definition after years of discussion.

Second, no matter how we define a RPG, no matter if we choose a minimal definition or an extensive content definition, we’ll always end up with questionable cases. We’ll always end up with games we want to include but fall outside of the definition, and vice versa.

Let’s say we define a RPG as a game which has to fulfill all of the following essential technical gameplay standards, ( which were proposed and discussed already years ago and I remember off the hat because I proposed and discussed some of them):

1) Some kind of statistics which define and describe certain attributes or skills of game characters.
    2) The famous leveling-up, that means some kind of method to influence (increase) these statistics for characters.
    3) There must be a menu for combat, just broadly a menu-driven combat system.

There are other standards proposed which may or may not be included as necessary conditions such as complex storylines, the latter is very weak one and shouldn’t be included imo.

You’ll always end up with cases which will raise eyebrows. Secret of Mana out, Alundra out, Popful Mail out. They fulfill two standards, but not a third one. Then you’ll always end up with cases which fulfill 1) and 2), but are just halfway there in the third standard category. Then you’ll end up with maybes like Disgaea and FF Tactics (Menu driven combat - yes, but still grid placement influences the battle; is it just a strategy game or a RPG?))

The point is, you’ll gain more consistency without any doubt when you have clearly defined standards.

But even with stricter standards there are always cases in which the feeling takes over – just enough gameplay elements for a category, or they fall just short to fulfill a category.

You’ll always end up with certain gameplay elements of another genre (see the above FF Tactics with strategy elements, replaceable with action elements and elements from many other genres). That’s why we have the genre combinations action/RPG, strategy RGP, and so many others.

In the last ten years we have the development tendency towards the hybrid game. I like it. Even in sports games we have now elements of statistical skill attributes which were once used only in RPGs. The result are the above mentioned genre benders which makes it even more difficult to agree on clearly defined RPG standards. It is more a matter of “feeling” even in the case of applied RPG-standards if certain RPG elements are essential gameplay elements or just used to color a game with or give it a mood of a RPG. In some posts of the original thread I discussed some of those cases.

The very simple reason I avoided a RPG definition for the list (AND my collection) is its recommendation character. It was designed to be as inclusionary as possible and not as the ‘ultimate’ RPG list. In the end everyone can add or remove titles for his personal list. However, I admit that the term "complete" is misleading because ther is no such thing.

The titles you address are indeed questionable for a strict RPG list, and there is an unavoidable lack of consistency. Facing big hurdles of defining standards, another option is simply to put ten or more of these titles in the borderline category. (Nine of them are currently in there) But then we’ll loose again the leeway recommendation character of the list."

Tell you what: if you can come up with a definition of a RPG we can all agree upon, I change my list and the pics of my collection!

Daria started a thread back then about the Q what an RPG is. You are more than welcome to contribute to the discussion. Here is the link:

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?113452-What-s-an-RPG-(Long-article-illiterates-need-not-apply

Maybe we can clear up the Q this way.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lendelin: Oh! Check out Choro Q. It's a racing series with tiny toy cars, but set up like a traditional RPG. You drive around town, talking to NPC cars. Collect side missions, and race for money and level ups. It was published by ATLUS and they even advertise it as a "racing roleplaying adventure". I think it at least deserves a border-line inclusion. There was also a PS2 sequel released as Road Trip.
    Look what I found: a ten year old upload-picture to Digitalpress. Back then I asked about games of the Gadget Racer series which I found very interesting to play and collect. I got them all for the PS2 and GC and still haven't played them.

Thanks so much for reminding me of ChoroQ! I remembered that I thought years ago of playing the game for the reasons you listed. I completely forgot about it. A car RPG by Atlus, that sounds interesting. ChoroQ is a candidate for sure for the borderline category, maybe even for the main list, let's see. Have you played them? What's your impression?

This is a great opportunity to try the games out. I will also look into Roadtrip, which got a release for the Gamecube as well. Both games are still sitting sealed on my shelves, silly me.
    Last edited by lendelin; 11-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Look what I found: a ten year old upload-picture to Digitalpress. Back then I asked about games of the Gadget Racer series which I found very interesting to play and collect. I got them all for the PS2 and GC and still haven't played them.

Thanks so much for reminding me of ChoroQ! I remembered that I thought years ago of playing the game for the reasons you listed. I completely forgot about it. A car RPG by Atlus, that sounds interesting. ChoroQ is a candidate for sure for the borderline category, maybe even for the main list, let's see. Have you played them? What's your impression?

This is a great opportunity to try the games out. I will also look into Roadtrip, which got a release for the Gamecube as well. Both games are still sitting sealed on my shelves, silly me.
    I bought ChoroQ, haven't tried any of the others but my initial impression was basically: "Yup... that's an RPG". As much as Final Lap Twin is an RPG, or Mario Golf is an RPG. I mean they're obviously not traditional RPGs, it's a glorified racing game with RPG elements but I like the novelty of genre hybrid games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought ChoroQ, haven't tried any of the others but my initial impression was basically: "Yup... that's an RPG". As much as Final Lap Twin is an RPG, or Mario Golf is an RPG. I mean they're obviously not traditional RPGs, it's a glorified racing game with RPG elements but I like the novelty of genre hybrid games.
    Finally I played ChoroQ. I say 'finally' because in January I finally overcame my laziness, painted the hallway and my gameroom, reorganized the room with a new HDTV and furniture, and besides trying out a lot of new stuff it is the perfect environment to play games, and play, and play...and sometimes I sit there in the midst of 1700 games and don't know which one I should play. It is a sad and wonderful story, but another story...

I'm halfway through ChoroQ (developed by Takara, published in the US by Atlus). And this says a lot, because I'm also playing finally God of War III and Rayman Legends, and despite this heavy competition I'm still sliding this cd in my PS2 or PS3.

The game surprised me. Not only the overall quality, but also certain game elements and gameplay encounters, and this is what a game should do to a gamer. It should surprise him. I found myself suddenly driving in water and loosing the race, or on a wonderful futuristic race track, and for every situation there are upgrade solutions like a boat engine. There are lots of surprising game elements in this racer.

The controls and physics engine are also well done, there are flaws like the turning, but it is after all a penny racer which shouldn't give you a sense of speed and Gran Turismo-physics, instead a lot of charme and atmosphere.

I couldn't disagree more with the final statement of Ralph Edwards from a IGN-review about this game: "What other way is there to put it? If you want to know what a box of suck looks like sitting on your shelf, buy Choroq."

I think he expected more in all review compartments ignoring the fact that this game does what it sets out to achieve. It doesn't want to be a Gran Turismo, a God of War, and neither a Final Fantasy when it comes to graphics, physics engine, and storyline. But then, some reviewers criticised after ist release 'Castlevania Symphony of the Night' for not being a 3D-game.

Daria, I'm with you because this game is a wonderful niche title, a genre hybrid game, worthwhile playing because it is what unfortunately in the last 10 years is more and more getting lost -- it is a playful, innocent, charming and childlike game, something which sparked the game industry in the first place.

Is it a RPG? It certainly tries very hard and emphasizes RPG elements (upgrading, rewards of experience, missions, storytelling) and therefore it achieves to generate a RPG atmosphere. It actually gives objects like cars a personality and character, and the tracks are very well designed and have distinguished characteristics as well.

I put it in the borderline category. It is actually ideal for this category. Thanks for mentioning it! I'll look at Roadtrip for the PS2 as well.

Added:
    ChoroQ.* Takara, Atlus, 11/4/04.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-06-2016 at 09:16 PM.