0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Just out of curiosity and lack of knowledge: what is the meaning of the PDSS numbers, and in which way are they important for collecting?
    They are the identifying numbers for each individual disc revision, if I'm not mistaken. I'm actually not 100% sure, as I've not done a lot of looking into the PDSS numbers, since there's no field for it in the guide...
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    They are the identifying numbers for each individual disc revision, if I'm not mistaken. I'm actually not 100% sure, as I've not done a lot of looking into the PDSS numbers, since there's no field for it in the guide...
    Thanks! I wonder how important they are for collecting. The SLUS numbers are obvious, but I have no idea about the PDSS numbers.

IMPORTANT: Still need scans for the following items:

1) the trading card from Inuyasha: The Cursed Mask, and also a better scan from the back cover of the game with the card.

2) the lenticular special cover (removeable) from Xenosaga III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, awesome list!

When I was browsing for a list like this, I remember finding one in the playstation forum on the official playstation site. Do you know the list I am referring to? Have you compared yours to it before as I remember they have more games but perhaps their definition of RPG is wider. I can dig up the thread if you want me to.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    First off, awesome list!

When I was browsing for a list like this, I remember finding one in the playstation forum on the official playstation site. Do you know the list I am referring to? Have you compared yours to it before as I remember they have more games but perhaps their definition of RPG is wider. I can dig up the thread if you want me to.
    Before I started the thread I looked around for useful lists at some sites, and about a year ago again to check if there is a better list than this one around.

I can't remember if I checked the list you mentioned. Would be great if you could put up the link to the thread so I can compare it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It irks me that there is a small detail missing for the list of the regular cases with extra content. If a game had two versions I mentioned if the SLUS numbers were identical or different.

I don't have this information about SMT Nocturne. The SLUS number for the version without the soundtrack CD is 20911. Could someone of you check the SLUS number for the common version WITH the CD if they are identical?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed that the only deluxe edition with different cover art for the case, disc and manual than the standard version has also a completely(!) different SLUS number.

Final Fantasy XII standard version has the SLUS number 20963, and the special edition has 21475. I made a note in the list.

For the sake of reliability and consistency, can someone check the SLUS numbers for the REPRINTS of AR TONELICO and SMT DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA?

I have only the original releases. Ar Tonelico has the SLUS number 21445P (maybe the reprint is without the P) and SMT Digital Devil Saga has the SLUS number 20974.

When checking make sure that you purchased the more recent reprints of the games.
    Last edited by lendelin; 07-26-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I don't have this information about SMT Nocturne. The SLUS number for the version without the soundtrack CD is 20911. Could someone of you check the SLUS number for the common version WITH the CD if they are identical?
    The SLUS for my version (with soundtrack) is 20911 also.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    The SLUS for my version (with soundtrack) is 20911 also.
    Thanks so much! I added to the list that the SLUS number for both versions is the same.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the special lists I added the SLUS numbers for each game since they were mentioned already for the games with two versions.

I made notes about something which was new to me.

For the games in deluxe sets:

Note: The letters ‘P’ (for Premium) and ‘S’ (for Special) in a SLUS number are printed on the packaging only. The SLUS number on the game case and on the game disc does not contain these letters.

For the games in regular cases with extra content:

Note: The letters ‘P’ (for Premium) and ‘S’ (for Special) in a SLUS number are printed on the game case only. The SLUS number on the game disc does not contain these letters.

...which takes care of the question if the reprint of Ar tonelico retained the additional P in the SLUS since the actual game case in the set doesn't show it in the first place.

Hope the additions of the SLUS numbers are helpful.

btw, Falling Stars is scheduled for August 19th, price $14.99. Amazon takes pre-orders already. (not that I recommend buying it for this price)

...and just out of curiosity: I noticed that the two WD disc-labels for Growlanser Generations have at least two variants for each disc. The SLUS numbers on the discs have an additional A and B at the end. Are those referring to the variants of the disc label?
    Last edited by lendelin; 07-30-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think so. Gungriffon Blaze and Silpheed: The Lost Planet, for the ps2, both have 2 variants for the discs. At least i think there is only 2.

I believe someone told me that the discs are always the same for Growlanser Generations, and always the same for Growlanser Generations Deluxe Pack. So the "A" discs will always be in one set, and the "B" discs will always be in the other set. I have no idea if this is true or not, just going by what someone told me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here you go, I think this is the list that I found sometime ago, seems like your list is much more update than this one:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=345670

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of PS2 RPG news lately:

Eternal Poison, an SRPG, to be released by Atlus in November
    Ar Tonelico 2 officially announced for December
    Disgaea and Odin Sphere set for Greatest Hits releases.

The PS2 has a lot of life left in her yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think mana khemia 2 got released ><

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm really amazed that Atlus and NISA and others are still cranking out localizations for PS2 RPGs. I guess they figure that their fan bases are so insanely dedicated that they'll keep buying every game at launch now matter how outdated the games and hardware may get (it doesn't help that the fans are convinced that every Atlus and NIS RPG will be worth big bucks down the road, if even it's already been proven to be a complete myth). I honestly thought that Chaos Wars would be about it. While there are a few that are multi-platform like Baroque and Dokapon Kingdom, there are still plenty of PS2 exclusives lined up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm really amazed that Atlus and NISA and others are still cranking out localizations for PS2 RPGs. I guess they figure that their fan bases are so insanely dedicated that they'll keep buying every game at launch now matter how outdated the games and hardware may get (it doesn't help that the fans are convinced that every Atlus and NIS RPG will be worth big bucks down the road, if even it's already been proven to be a complete myth). I honestly thought that Chaos Wars would be about it. While there are a few that are multi-platform like Baroque and Dokapon Kingdom, there are still plenty of PS2 exclusives lined up.
    There are still people out there besides fanboys and speculators who are glad to see PS2 games being released. I only have a PS2 and am completely happy with it. Video games are just a hobby and there are plenty of good to great PS2 games that I haven't played yet (and they're cheap now too). I'm still having a great time so why should I feel compelled to rush out and spend hundreds on a new console and games just because my system is "outdated."

Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons for people to upgrade to the current console gen and I'm not saying people are wrong to do it. It's just that none of those reason apply to me, and I imagine there are plenty of other people in the same situation. I'm sure I'll upgrade someday. Probably when my TV goes out and I finally get around to getting an HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    RPGs are one of the last games that are about graphics, and the style that they bring to the PS2 (sprite clones) look awesome. Not to mention about 10x better then the shit that comes out on next-gen consoles. Even if they are like 50 pixels at least the guys look like guys not girls ;p

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I never said there's anything wrong with supporting the older systems or that I'm not happy about the fact that the PS2 is still getting exclusives. I think it's absolutely wonderful that these companies are localizing really obscure stuff that would've never left Japan in any previous generation. I'm actually buying more of these late releases than I have with the earlier releases, since I know they're more likely to be rare and become expensive down the road. My only point is that the fervent, rabid fan base is absolutely 100% the reason why these companies think it's still profitable to localize PS2 RPGs this late into the game. They know their fan base will buy absolutely anything without even doing any research on a game just because it says "Atlus" or "NIS America" on the cover, and the foolish speculators help business even more. I do take some issue with that since lapping up anything and everything these companies dish out will only be detrimental to the advancement of the genre, as even sub-par games will get decent sales. I mean, I love 2D graphics, but most 2D RPGs on the PS2 look pathetic. The hardware is capable of so much more, but the developers know that the fans are complacent and putting in any more than minimal effort is totally unnecessary. The players should demand more for the developers in order to give them the sense that they need to strive for increasing greatness in each project, and not just in graphics but in all regards. At this rate, they're just going to crank out the exact same cookie-cutter RPGs year after year. Just look how fast they're releasing those Atelier Iris games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aussie2B, your point about companies shoveling out crap because people keep buying it is valid, but that's pretty much true about any product you can name. I don't think that's going to change.

About the Atlus/NIS localizations - maybe it's just the case that some people like those kinds of games more than you do. People who enjoy a particular genre of games/books/movies/music/whatever can enjoy different variations on the same theme even if the games/etc. aren't all great and even if, to someone not "into" that genre, they all seem the same.

I would guess at this point that we're not going to see any ground-breaking titles on the PS2. The best we can hope for are localizations of lesser games which will be fun to try out. I don't pay attention to what goes on in the Japanese gaming world. Does anybody know if there are any top tier games that never made it over here, but still might?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of shoveling out crap since I feel the stuff Atlus and Nippon Ichi localize is usually at least competent. It's more a matter of the developers putting in simply the bare minimum amount of effort into each subsequent release. And then the fans reinforce that by rushing to buy the games on day one without so much as waiting to get any impressions on the game, and then salivating over each mediocre release just as much as the titles that do deserve such attention.

It's got nothing to do with me not liking the genre either because I adore RPGs and play them predominantly. I love Atlus and Nippon Ichi, and I can have fun with just about any of their games, even if they don't leave a lasting impact. However, I think I've been playing RPGs long enough to realize that plenty of them aren't remarkable in any shape or form and don't deserve the praise and the sales that they get from young kids that are so closed-minded about games that they won't play anything that's not an RPG and will thusly worship any and every RPG that comes out. If I can tell that a game from the aforementioned companies is great, I'll buy it at the full MSRP, like Etrian Odyssey and Person 3: FES, but the other stuff doesn't warrant a pre-order. I'll buy used or on clearance for those.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    I believe someone told me that the discs are always the same for Growlanser Generations, and always the same for Growlanser Generations Deluxe Pack. So the "A" discs will always be in one set, and the "B" discs will always be in the other set. I have no idea if this is true or not, just going by what someone told me.
    I have pics of the label variants, and we should clear that up sometime -- otherwise the statement in the list that the game (Growlanser Generations) in the deluxe pack is identical to the standrad version is wrong and needs to be corrected.

btw, I replaced the pic for Sega Classics Collection in my bragging rights thread with the correct pic of the Sega Genesis Collection. as seen here LINK
    Last edited by lendelin; 08-25-2008 at 08:30 PM.