Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mana Khemia with the figurine bonus item in a box took one week to arrive at my doorsteps after Rosenqueen shipped it. (I ordered one, was charged for one, but got two today -- which is a very nice surprise)

Since I was able to have a a closer look at the content of the regular retail box, I corrected the entry for the game in the deluxe set list:

08) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. The cardboard box contains a soundtrack CD in a plastic case with an artwork insert and a CD cover insert. The CD cover insert is a fold-out and double-sided. On one side are two covers for the soundtrack CD, including a weapon stat sheet. The other side of the CD cover insert is a mini poster with game characters. Sold only in the special edition.

I also put pictures up for the box, game, CD, and the sides of the CD covers.

I have to say that Rosenqueen made out of one item (a soundtrack CD) five items to advertise thanks to a cover foldout and reversible sides:

- the CD
    - two CD covers
    - one weapon stat sheet (which is just part of one of the CD covers)
    - a mini-poster

...but actually all of the above is just one Cd cover insert. (except for the CD itself)

If you are confused by the description in the list, maybe the pictures are helpful to clear things up.

I like the oversized special box and the figurine, I think it was worthwhile to pay ten dollars more for the bundle set.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm getting a little off topic from the subject of the list, but when you do collectors think will be the best time to pick up the original Persona 3 with FES on the horizon now? Since I skipped out on the original, I plan to get FES, but the collector in me wants to have the original as well, especially considering the deluxe package. FES has already taken a huge hit into the demand for the original, which is helpful for me at least, and I'm trying to use some educated speculation to determine when it'll be at its cheapest - now, immediately after FES's release, or a fair bit later? I suppose it's always possible that FES might stir up some new interest in the original box set, so I don't know. What do you guys think?

Regardless, it's going to be interesting seeing the value the game holds over the long-term.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

What is FES exactly? Is it Persona 3 with some bonus dungeons. Or like a Parallel sequel? Kind of like how there were 2 Persona 2's. I could read up on it I suppose, but whatever. :P

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

From my understanding FES is an expansion, except it has the full original game on it in addition to the new content. Supposedly it adds a bunch of gameplay hours and can almost be a semi-sequel since I think the new content expands the game past the original ending. In terms of gameplay, it should entirely replace any need to have the original, short of wanting all the extra goodies in the box. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Persona 3 will be it's cheapest in the months right after FES is released. That is when most people who look for Persona 3 will realize that FES has a bunch more content, and for about the same price. After all of the "new release" hype has died I think the original will go back up a bit because then the only people looking for it will be collectors looking for the extras. I don't think it will ever get back to where it was awhile ago, but I do think it will go up a little more.

Also, speculating on this kind of thing has proved pretty unsuccessful in the past, so take that for what it's worth.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm getting a little off topic from the subject of the list, but when you do collectors think will be the best time to pick up the original Persona 3 with FES on the horizon now? Since I skipped out on the original, I plan to get FES, but the collector in me wants to have the original as well, especially considering the deluxe package. FES has already taken a huge hit into the demand for the original, which is helpful for me at least, and I'm trying to use some educated speculation to determine when it'll be at its cheapest - now, immediately after FES's release, or a fair bit later? I suppose it's always possible that FES might stir up some new interest in the original box set, so I don't know. What do you guys think?

Regardless, it's going to be interesting seeing the value the game holds over the long-term.
    My advice is wait and be patient to purchase the original special edition. It will become much cheaper after FES is released. First, because FES expands significantly on gameplay content it will be regarded by gamers as the 'superior' Persona 3. Second, most guys interested in the game are not after the box edition like collector's are.

Wait two or 3 months after the FES release, by this time the image of the FES edition will have decreased the price of the original.

To be patient pays off. Look at it this way: you can always pay a ridiculous over-price for a game if it doesn't get cheaper since they usually don't increase in price very fast.

I always set myself a limit of a good and reasonable price, and I just don't buy until the price comes down to my level.

Exceptions apply. The box set for Magna Carta was never on sale, and I waited more than two years to get it for $20. After two years and a half I saw in a GS the box set in perfect new condition but opened and sold used for $30. So I bought it.

As a rule you safe a lot of money if you're patient, and this money buys more games. Buy when it is cheap, sell when it is expensive. (Damn, what an insight, today I'm on a roll, I'm tellin' ya)
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-06-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the regular list:

Baroque.* Sting, Atlus, 4/8/08.

The game didn't get a published guide.

This brings the total number of games up to 127. Together with the borderline cases and MMO RPGs the total number is 147.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up:

Amazon sells SWASHBUCKLERS: BLUE VS. GREY for $9.99, and the game is eligible for free super saver shipping. (=orders over $25) The cheapest price for the game I saw so far.

We put the game in the borderline category, and it is certainly beyond RPG collecting an interesting unique late release for the console.

LINK to Amazon
    LINK to the IGN review
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-09-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another Heads Up:

The edition without the CD of SMT Nocturne is offered by Play Asia for $44.99.

LINK to Play Asia

I know it's not a bargain price but some of you might bite because

a) it is certainly cheaper than the $80 to $130 range sealed copies for the game go on ebay,

b) it is the non-soundtrack CD version some of you completists might be after.

QUESTION:
    I take this opportunity to ask if there is new information about the non-CD version of the game, that means if the non-CD version is a second printing OR of the two versions were offered from the beginning after the games release.

I know that this new offering isn't a second printing because I bought my version w/o the CD almost two years ago new at a Gamecrazy, so this version isn't certainly new.

(I corrected the entry for the game in the list some time ago and emphasized the uncertainty of the version w/o the CD as a second printing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the fact that this version lacks a soundtrack keeps it from being a reprint. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a reprint. I know that Atlus is supposed to have said they wouldn't do it, but still....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I don't think the fact that this version lacks a soundtrack keeps it from being a reprint. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a reprint. I know that Atlus is supposed to have said they wouldn't do it, but still....
    I'd wager that GQD finally got the go ahead from Atlus. We'll know in a month or two if that was the case. Then there's always the possibility that these could be Hong Kong bootlegs too.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems that Persona 3 Fes kept its street date. There is no guide that I know of.

Added to the regular list:

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES.* Atlus, Atlus, 4/22/08.

Total: 128

**Dumb Q alert: What does "FES" actually stand for?**

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'd wager that GQD finally got the go ahead from Atlus. We'll know in a month or two if that was the case. Then there's always the possibility that these could be Hong Kong bootlegs too.
    So there is no new information if the version of SMT Nocturne w/o the CD was offered from the beginning? If Atlus says that was not a reprint, then the version I got around 18 months ago is just a variant offered by Atlus.

One thing is for sure: The non-CD version was released some time after the original release because it doesn't have the security strip, and I've never seen the non-CD version with the security strip.

Just asking because the uncertainty in the list irks me....and you were right pointing out that someting shouldn't be called a second printing unless it is 'official' or unofficilally confirmed 100%.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FES
    Final Edition sequel

Just my guess, prolly wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FES is short for Festival. I don't know anything more than that.

On the atlus website, look in their forums at the Reprint topic under Nocturne. A site admin was among those commenting. He was a little vague, and I do wish they would be more open about what is going there, but I get out of the comments that there was definitely a reprint.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up:

Amazon sells Dawn of Mana for $19.99.

LINK

Not as good as the recent CC deal, but still decent.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need a little help here. I was at an out of the area gamestop yesterday and I noticed a rpg for 19.99 used by I think made or publiushed by uto or ufo. It looked recent.
    It looked old school. I was planning on seeing if they had it local for the by 2 get 1 but I forgot the name. of it.
    neo geo system

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You talking about Heavenly Guardian? It's not an RPG. It's an arcade-style action adventure kind of game, like Pocky & Rocky.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You talking about Heavenly Guardian? It's not an RPG. It's an arcade-style action adventure kind of game, like Pocky & Rocky.
    Thanks it was 10 minutes to close I couldn't study it well. I couldn't find it today so I was going to go back before the sale ends. Saved me the trip.
    neo geo system

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the rpg list for the ps2 is impressive. Considering getting an rpg use to be a treat whether good or bad. The psp seems to have a bevy of ones as well. NIS of america has really stepped up. Opps I thought it was an edit. I would like a remake or handheld dragon force.
    Last edited by gepeto; 05-03-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    neo geo system