Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fallout - same category as Baldur's Gate/Champions
    Shadow of the Colossus - not an RPG
    Shifters - same category as Warriors of Might and Magic
    Swashbucklers - borderline - I got this game solely on the fact that it uses the perk system ripped off from (or as an homage to) the Fallout PC games. I love the Fallout games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played shifters, so i have no idea on that one.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy no
    Everblue 2 (that's my dangerous proposal ) Tough call, if this is in, then SofC would be in i think. So no....
    Fallout Brotherhood of Steel add to rpg list, yes
    Shadow of the Colossus no
    Shifters borderline i guess(not played)
    Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey borderline

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

the fancy Xenosaga 3 cover is rare? I had 1 and 2 all bought when I went to Best Buy months ago and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy 3 because it was still $40 but it had a fancy cover so I bought it. It was so shiny

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this counts, but there is the Sega Genesis Collection that has the Phantasy Star games. Sure they're ports from an older system, but so was Grandia II.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oremites View Post
    I don't know if this counts, but there is the Sega Genesis Collection that has the Phantasy Star games. Sure they're ports from an older system, but so was Grandia II.
    You know, if someone makes a simple but great suggestion one didn't even consider, one feels dumb. I'm this 'one.'

oremites, you are absolutely right, thanks so much!! I'm glad you came over from cheapassgamer! Though it is a compilation disc with older RPGs, nevertheless it is a release for the PS2 with four full fledged RPGs and has to be included.

I added to the regular list

Sega Genesis Collection.* Backbone Entertainment, Sega, 11/7/06.

and since the compilations discs are something special I created this list with further information

Compilations with Role Playing Games

01) Sega Genesis Collection. Backbone Entertainment, Sega, 11/7/06. Among the 28 games are four classic role playing games originally released for the Genesis. Phantasy Star II from 1989, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom from 1990, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Milenium from 1994, and Sword of Vermilion from 1990.

Thanks again, guy! Much appreciated.

To all: I looked through the following compilation discs but didn't discover RPGs besides the ones on the Sega Genesis Collection disc. Since my pre-NES knowledge is there but limited, and I might have overlooked titles, please check if there are other RPGs on following collections:

Atari Anthology
    Intellivision Lives!
    Activision Anthology
    Namco Museum
    Taito Legends
    Taito Legends 2
    Midway Arcade Treasures
    Midway Arcade Treasures 2
    Midway Arcade Treasures 3
    Capcom Classics Collection
    Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2
    Sega Classics Collection
    Sega Genesis Collection
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-19-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the regular list:

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Interplay, Interplay, 1/14/04.

Added to the borderline list:

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. Ion Storm, Eidos Interactive, 3/26/02.
    Shifters.* 3DO, 3DO, 6/17/02.
    Swashbucklers: Blue Vs. Grey.* Akella, 1C Company/Atari, 11/20/07.

Although vaportransmitter suggested a couple of months ago to include FALLOUT in the regular list, I had my concerns; but in the meantime I think that the game is so similar to Baldur's Gate series and Champions series that it has to be included despite less emphasized RPG elements to the aforementioned games. The attributable character skills, upgrading, and story makes it a RPG to such an extent that it should be included for the sake of consistency.

DEUS EX is certainly a hybrid game and as such very special, but the
    attributable character skills, the upgrading, and the keyrole of the storyline and items justifies the inclusion in the borderline category.

SHIFTERS is certainly a very very tough call as was Warriors of Might and Magic, but becasue of its strong RPG background and the sake of consistency (the Warriors already included) I added it as borderline.

SWASHBUCKLERS has just enough adventure/RPG elements (exploration, world map, item collection and a barter system, to use Daria's term) to justify the inclusion in the borderline list. To be as inclusionary as possible if in serious doubt took over the consistency principle again which is certainly appropriate for the borderline category.

My proposal of Everblue 2 lost pretty clearly against my advocatus diaboli. It was tempting to consider it because of the extensive barter system, item collecting, and the immense exploration factor....and because it is just such a great game!

In all these decisions the elusive "feeling" based on existing RPG elements was decisive, that means the degree of RPG elements in these games which isn't quantifiable and doesn't follow strict categories of the definition of a RPG.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-19-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up:

Circuit City has Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana on clearance for $16.96.

Not as good as $8.96, but not bad at all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you get those prices online for those 2 games? (I need mana)

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    I finally found a pic and auction for it. Its out of my price range at the moment, so snatch it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xenosaga-Episode...ayphotohosting
    Glad I picked up the copy I saw yesterday at Blockbuster for $14.
    former rental but it had the manual & original case an easily removed price tag and nothing on either disc. so it was more like a nice used copy.
    Now I just need to go pick up ep. I & II if I find them since I never did earlier.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you get the lenticular cover of Xenosaga Episode III? Not to be mistaken with the normal copy of XE3.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you get the lenticular cover of Xenosaga Episode III? Not to be mistaken with the normal copy of XE3.
    It was the normal one

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Usually those games aren't available online anymore, but if they are you can get them online for the clearance bin prices.

RPGs go very fast ususally, but I'm glad that there was a halfway decent sale going on again. The last couple of months was almost nothing.

It pays off to check cheapassgamer regularly; although this time I read about this specific sale in its entiretey first on DP thanks to Machinegex. He was faster than the cheapassgamer guys.

However, I read about the prices for Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana first on cheapassgamer and then immediately posted it in this thread. I like doing it this way specifically about RPG deals w/o starting new threads.

Would be great if everyone would post about great deals for RPGs immediately in this thread. Unlike the sports fanatics we RPG fanastics need certainly great sales.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-28-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Well I first read about the sale here, in this thread, so thanks a lot!

I was able to pick up both Odin's Sphere and Dawn of Mana today. DoM was kind of a bonus, but I've been looking to buy Odin's Sphere for awhile now. Also picked up Brave Story for $40, wasn't anything of a steal, but PSP games are tough to find in my area, no one seems to carry RPGs for the system. Unless it's Kingdoms of Paradise or PoPoLoCrois...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Well I first read about the sale here, in this thread, so thanks a lot!

I was able to pick up both Odin's Sphere and Dawn of Mana today. DoM was kind of a bonus, but I've been looking to buy Odin's Sphere for awhile now. Also picked up Brave Story for $40, wasn't anything of a steal, but PSP games are tough to find in my area, no one seems to carry RPGs for the system. Unless it's Kingdoms of Paradise or PoPoLoCrois...
    Great, I'm glad for you! I bought Odin Sphere for $40 (brrr) because I was impatient weeks ago. Certainly for both games great prices. CC sold Dawn of Mana for $50 until now.

...but I always luck out in these sales. I got two Dawn of Manas to resell, also a Starfox Assault which can be resold with profit.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you didn't get Mana, let me know.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither game was online anymore. I also live in smal town, with nothing but 2 grocery stores, so i didn't get a chance to hunt it down in the big city.

You wanna sell me Dawn of Mana?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another heads up for cheapskates like me:

This Sunday, March 30th, Circuit City has a 33% discount on all clearance games. (these are all games ending with .96, usually 16.96, 12.96, 8.96, and 4.96) I'm not sure how long this will last, usually 5 days, but it certainly starts this Sunday.

If you kept your receipts and go to CC on Sunday, they'll price adjust the games. This goes for all clearance bin games purchased within the last thirty days.

If you got only one very cheap game it may not be worth the trip considering gas money. However, I spent altogether almost $70 on clearance bin stuff, and I'll get $23 back. My Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 for the 360 was this way only $11.30.

Daria, that means you got actually Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana for 11.30 which makes the deals sweet. Great prices for these games.

So, after price adjustment the actual prices for clearance games are:

16.96 = 11.36
    12.96 = 8.66
    8.96 = 6.01
    4.96 = 3.33

With those new prices in mind some games might be wortwhile picking up.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-29-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither game was online anymore. I also live in smal town, with nothing but 2 grocery stores, so i didn't get a chance to hunt it down in the big city.

You wanna sell me Dawn of Mana?
    send a pm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since Mana Khemia kept the sheduled release date and was indeed released today, I added to the regular list:

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. Gust, NIS America, 3/31/08.

Added to the list of Deluxe sets:

08) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. The cardboard box contains a mini-poster, a cheat sheet, and a soundtrack CD in a special reversible slip cover. Available only in this special edition and in the 'Premium Box.'

09) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. Premium Box. This was an exclusive release from the online retailer 'Rosenqueen.' The oversized "Premium Box" was produced in a limited number of 1000. It is different from the widely available special edition. First, the cardboard box is of different size and cover art. Second, it contains additionally a figurine of the character Jessica. The mini-poster and the soundtrack CD in a special slip cover are identical with the items in the special edition. Available in the special edition and in the 'Premium Box.'

EDIT:

Although I didn't receive my editions yet, I removed from the list the 09) entry about the premium box as an edition variant. Otherwise we have to include so many other titles like Suikoden V or Ar tonelico that came with a specially packaged soundtrack CD as a pre-order package but weren't part of the special sets.

It seems that the Premium Box can't be regarded as an independent edition because the game isn't part of the special packaging; rather, the common cardboard box every retailer offers comes with its entire special content separately with the oversized Premium Box (w figurine). That makes the Premium Box indeed a pre-order item; a valuable item worthwhile to have, but nevertheless nothing more than part of a pre-order package.
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-01-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About the Rosequeen edition of Mana Khemia:

From looking at pictures on ebay I'm still not sure if the regular cardboard box every retailer gets is included in the Rosenqueen edition or not. Let's hope it is so we don't have to pay for the regular box as well.

It seems that the regular box with the game comes separately with the Rosenqueen box. There seems no space available in the Rosenqueen box besides the figurine.

If the game comes indeed separately from the Rosenqueen box in the widely available common retailer box, then we have to doubt if the Rosenqueen edition is an alternative edition at all; or if the oversized box with the figurine is just a pre-order goodie that comes with the game.

As soon as we know for sure I will change the text of the 09) entry if necessary. Probably I have to wait until I get my two editions.

There are already around 30 Premium Boxes offered on ebay!!

For the ones who didn't pre-order the thing I think the best time to get them is in around 4 weeks or when they can be had for under 100. Then dumb expectations of prices around 100 or 200 get the deserved blow -- even a product with a limited production run of 1000 needs a high demand to fetch high prices...but then, you never know.

My guess: they can be had probably for around 80 for some time to come because a lot of them were bought with reselling in mind.
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-01-2008 at 02:37 AM.