Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Update

I aded Graffiti Kingdom to the list since Magic Pengel is also already listed. (Tough case, I know)

In the borderline category I added the so-called breeding RPGs Monster Rancher 3 and 4 and EVO.

The only game for which a guide was published is Monster Rancher 3 to my knowledge. If you know better, PLEASE post and let us know.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added Ar Tonelico and Rogue Galaxy. I didn't see a published guide offered for Ar Tolenico, so...if you know better let us know.

Question: I removed the deluxe pack-note from Dot Hack GU. I remember to have read something about a deluxe pack for this game and made even a note, but can't find a thing about a deluxe set offering now. Maybe it was a cancelled EB/GS offering? Let us know if you have any information on this.

I included a listing of the games available in a deluxe box set with the extra content at the end of the list. If you find mistakes or left-outs or have suggestions for more useful descriptions, please shout and scream!

On a sidenote, what is exactly the deal with the cooperation between Prima and Doublejump? When I bought some time ago the guide for SMT Devil Summoner I noticed that the alleged Doublejump book was published by Prima although this publisher wasn't on the cover. Same goes now for the new Rogue Galaxy guide, in both cases the copyright is with Prima. The Devil Summoner guide was never offered on the Doublejumb website, however, Rogue Galaxy is.

The guides seem to be great efforts; my Q: is Prima using the fantastic image of Doublejump among RPG-players to sell guides? Are the authors of the guides still slected and hired by Doublejump or Prima? Who is in charge for the content of guides, Doublejump or Prima?
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-08-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    On a sidenote, what is exactly the deal with the cooperation between Prima and Doublejump? When I bought some time ago the guide for SMT Devil Summoner I noticed that the alleged Doublejump book was published by Prima although this publisher wasn't on the cover. Same goes now for the new Rogue Galaxy guide, in both cases the copyright is with Prima. The Devil Summoner guide was never offered on the Doublejumb website, however, Rogue Galaxy is.

The guides seem to be great efforts; my Q: is Prima using the fantastic image of Doublejump among RPG-players to sell guides? Are the authors of the guides still slected and hired by Doublejump or Prima? Who is in charge for the content of guides, Doublejump or Prima?
    According to the Doublejump website (forums):

The staff at Doublejump write the guides and Prima publishes them. Also of note is that Sony now requires Doublejump to publish their guides in the standard 8 1/2" x 11" format. No more fat, little guides for DJ (which is a good thing IMO).

I just picked up the Rogue Galaxy guide (and game of course) this afternoon and it comes in at a hefty 384 pages. If this guide would have been made in the smaller format, it easily would be their largest one to date. The amount of information contained is amazing. I think all RPG fans should buy Doublejump guides if for nothing else than to support a company that is full of people who love the genre...even if you don't usually do the "guide thing".
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0) eternalblue81's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question: I removed the deluxe pack-note from Dot Hack GU. I remember to have read something about a deluxe pack for this game and made even a note, but can't find a thing about a deluxe set offering now. Maybe it was a cancelled EB/GS offering? Let us know if you have any information on this.
    Yes, there is a special edition version of .hack//GU that I believe was a GS/EB exclusive. It comes in a larger cardboard box that includes the game, a figurine of the character Haseo, and Terminal Disc, which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    According to the Doublejump website (forums):

The staff at Doublejump write the guides and Prima publishes them. Also of note is that Sony now requires Doublejump to publish their guides in the standard 8 1/2" x 11" format. No more fat, little guides for DJ (which is a good thing IMO).

I just picked up the Rogue Galaxy guide (and game of course) this afternoon and it comes in at a hefty 384 pages. If this guide would have been made in the smaller format, it easily would be their largest one to date. The amount of information contained is amazing. I think all RPG fans should buy Doublejump guides if for nothing else than to support a company that is full of people who love the genre...even if you don't usually do the "guide thing".
    I normally hate guides, but love what Double Jump has been putting out. However I think it really stinks that Sony's being nazi asshats over the format. It was nice having a guide that fit on a normal bookshelf.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eternalblue81 View Post
    Yes, there is a special edition version of .hack//GU that I believe was a GS/EB exclusive. It comes in a larger cardboard box that includes the game, a figurine of the character Haseo, and Terminal Disc, which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games.
    Thanks, guy, you were right and my dim memory correct. I added the deluxe set to the listing. Strangely, I've never seen that thing. It comes with an Haseo action figure and a "Terminal Disc." Someone who has the set might be able to clarify what is on this disc for a more accurate description in the listing?

I changed slightly the deluxe set lists at the end with more accurate and detailed content. This might be very helpful since we all know the evergreen Qs of collectors hunting after the WD sets for the PS1-RPGs like "what the hell was exactly in there?"

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked in your quote about the disc the part "which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games." I edited the list accordingly. Thanks guy.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-02-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I normally hate guides, but love what Double Jump has been putting out. However I think it really stinks that Sony's being nazi asshats over the format. It was nice having a guide that fit on a normal bookshelf.
    Same here (not exactly, I love guides )...but I liked the bookformat of the recent Doublejump guides a lot (granted, very small print) like I loved the WD guides for Alundra and Lunar. I'd even opt for hardcover guidebooks like we have in Japan or had in the US from WD for Arc and Vanguard Bandits; but then, probably the market isn't lucrative enough for such elaborate guides in hardcover.

(BTW, Daria, I loved your collections in the Dragon Quest and Zelda threads! VERY IMPRESSIVE.)

However, I doubt what you and heybtbm said about Sony. It is probably PRIMA that insists on a magazine format for (what else?) money reasons, not Sony. Sony has no power over companies who publish guides.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Same here (not exactly, I love guides )...but I liked the bookformat of the recent Doublejump guides a lot (granted, very small print) like I loved the WD guides for Alundra and Lunar. I'd even opt for hardcover guidebooks like we have in Japan or had in the US from WD for Arc and Vanguard Bandits; but then, probably the market isn't lucrative enough for such elaborate guides in hardcover.

(BTW, Daria, I loved your collections in the Dragon Quest and Zelda threads! VERY IMPRESSIVE.)

However, I doubt what you and heybtbm said about Sony. It is probably PRIMA that insists on a magazine format for (what else?) money reasons, not Sony. Sony has no power over companies who publish guides.
    Well whoever's decision it was. It stinks. :Þ

(thanks for the compliment though!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The info on Sony making the decision comes directly from the source...the people at Doublejump...

http://www.doublejumpbooks.com/yabbs...p?topic=4709.0

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The info on Sony making the decision comes directly from the source...the people at Doublejump...

http://www.doublejumpbooks.com/yabbs...p?topic=4709.0
    Oh geez, I forgot that Sony published the game. I think Level-5 when I think about Rogue Galaxy, not Sony at all.

You might be right. If "Sony asked for it," then the ball is in Sonys half albeit still the guide-publisher makes the final decision and has to hold grounds in the business-dealings with the game-publisher.

It might be not so clear, though, to blame Sony. Isn't it very convenient for Doubejump to say that Sony insisted on the format than to say that it was PRIMAS decision since they have a publishing cooperation with them?

Sony is a powerhouse, but so is Prima. I'd think they have enough leverage to push for a format they want...towards Sony AND Doublejump.

The reason I'm so mistrustful about the alleged Sony pressure is the SMT Devil Summoner guide. The game publisher changed (Atlus), but not Prima and Doublejump producing in the same new format (except for the first Disgaea guide). I don't know, but maybe Atlus pushed for the mag format as Sony did? I doubt it. Seems more likely that Prima with all its distribution power isn't a friend of the book format.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-02-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Sony is a powerhouse, but so is Prima. I'd think they have enough leverage to push for a format they want...towards Sony AND Doublejump.
    Sony has the ultimate (and final) say in anything related to games, guides, accessories released on any of their systems. If you want to release your PS2, PSP, or PS3 product...you have to play by their rules. I'm not offering a commentary if this is good or bad, I'm just pointing out the way this industry works.

Seems more likely that Prima with all its distribution power isn't a friend of the book format.
    You're probably on to something there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony has the ultimate (and final) say in anything related to games, guides, accessories released on any of their systems.
    Oh Lord, I won't even respond to that because it is ridiculous.

However, as a publisher for a specific game, Sony has the final word for a licensed guide. But I doubt heavily that Sony pressured for a larger guide format.

The reason: let's use some common sense. After the first Disgaea guide, DJ published six guides exclusively in book format, among them SMT Nocturne (game publisher: Atlus) and Genji (game publisher: Sony). NIS, Atlus, and Sony felt obviously very comfortable with the successful format. If I were to believe the Sony-pressure-tale, Atlus and Sony suddenly transformed into a larger format pressuring company after Prima took over distribution.

It doesn't make sense! I wouldn't be surprised if NIS transforms into a mag- format-loving company as well after giving their ok for three guides in book size; and this has nothing to do with Prima, of course.

I don't know if the guy on the DJ forum reperesents DJ or not. If he does, the statement that Sony asked for the larger format is the dumbest thing he could say. It is not only false it is dumb because it is a cheap weaseling-out-strategy in order to avoid problems with the new cooperator Prima although it is obvious what's going on. It is a Doublejump-Prima decision, nothing else. Just ask him in response if Atlus insisted on the new format, too, and if isn't a remarkable coincidence that the format-change falls together with the new cooperation with Prima.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-03-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, guy, you were right and my dim memory correct. I added the deluxe set to the listing. Strangely, I've never seen that thing. It comes with an Haseo action figure and a "Terminal Disc."
    No problem. Happy to add toward the list. I was wondering if it would be helpful if the games that were only sold in deluxe/special edition form, like Dragon Quest VII, Magna Carta, and those that had the choice between standard and deluxe like Growlanser and .hack//Gu were differently marked?

By the way, I'm a gal, not a guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Oh Lord, I won't even respond to that because it is ridiculous.

However, as a publisher for a specific game, Sony has the final word for a licensed guide. But I doubt heavily that Sony pressured for a larger guide format.

The reason: let's use some common sense. After the first Disgaea guide, DJ published six guides exclusively in book format, among them SMT Nocturne (game publisher: Atlus) and Genji (game publisher: Sony). NIS, Atlus, and Sony felt obviously very comfortable with the successful format. If I were to believe the Sony-pressure-tale, Atlus and Sony suddenly transformed into a larger format pressuring company after Prima took over distribution.

It doesn't make sense! I wouldn't be surprised if NIS transforms into a mag- format-loving company as well after giving their ok for three guides in book size; and this has nothing to do with Prima, of course.

I don't know if the guy on the DJ forum reperesents DJ or not. If he does, the statement that Sony asked for the larger format is the dumbest thing he could say. It is not only false it is dumb because it is a cheap weaseling-out-strategy in order to avoid problems with the new cooperator Prima although it is obvious what's going on. It is a Doublejump-Prima decision, nothing else. Just ask him in response if Atlus insisted on the new format, too, and if isn't a remarkable coincidence that the format-change falls together with the new cooperation with Prima.
    Believe whatever you want. Doublejump books said themselves (several times on their own forums) that Sony requested the larger size. If you want to continue with this bizarre conspiracy rant...go ahead. I'm done here.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Believe whatever you want. Doublejump books said themselves (several times on their own forums) that Sony requested the larger size. If you want to continue with this bizarre conspiracy rant...go ahead. I'm done here.
    We have very different concepts of "bizarre" and "conspiracy"...and "rant." What I described is neither bizarre nor a conspiracy but a very normal business relationship and business deal based on realism and not naivite. The former takes business with critical rationalism, the latter takes statements at face value.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-04-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem. Happy to add toward the list. I was wondering if it would be helpful if the games that were only sold in deluxe/special edition form, like Dragon Quest VII, Magna Carta, and those that had the choice between standard and deluxe like Growlanser and .hack//Gu were differently marked?

By the way, I'm a gal, not a guy.
    I'm sorry, gal!

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I think Dragon Quest VIII, Magna Carta, and Star Ocean were only sold in the special packages.(??) All the other titles wree available in standard or deluxe if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-04-2007 at 05:47 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wanted some more information for my RPG list and added to the titles the developer, publisher, and release date over the last two weeks...so I thought why not posting this additional information as well. Hope some of you find it useful and the list as readible as before.

QUESTION: Was SMT Digital Devil Saga sold only in the deluxe set or available in a standard edition as well? I thought it was sold in both editions but I'm not so sure anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

QUESTION: Was SMT Digital Devil Saga sold only in the deluxe set or available in a standard edition as well? I thought it was sold in both editions but I'm not so sure anymore.
    I'm almost positive it only came out in the cardboard box version. I seem to recall some people were kinda miffed about it retailing for $55 instead of $50 and didn't think it was worth it for just cardboard box and soundtrack. Not too sure since I haven't seen any yet in stores, but I think that Ar Tonelico is only going to be available in deluxe form with the artbook.

Another form of variants that might be considered are the RPGs that were also released as Greatest Hits. Might also be noted that Star Ocean was available without the cardboard box when the GH version came out. It had the instruction booklet on the outside back of the case under the plastic.

These are the only PS2 RPG Greatest Hits that I am definite about:

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
    Dark Cloud
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Kingdom Hearts
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Really like seeing the developer, publisher, and release dates on the list. Still easy enough to skim through with the bolded titles. Nice job!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm almost positive it only came out in the cardboard box version. I seem to recall some people were kinda miffed about it retailing for $55 instead of $50 and didn't think it was worth it for just cardboard box and soundtrack. Not too sure since I haven't seen any yet in stores, but I think that Ar Tonelico is only going to be available in deluxe form with the artbook.

Another form of variants that might be considered are the RPGs that were also released as Greatest Hits. Might also be noted that Star Ocean was available without the cardboard box when the GH version came out. It had the instruction booklet on the outside back of the case under the plastic.

These are the only PS2 RPG Greatest Hits that I am definite about:

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
    Dark Cloud
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Kingdom Hearts
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Really like seeing the developer, publisher, and release dates on the list. Still easy enough to skim through with the bolded titles. Nice job!
    eternalblue, I really appreciate your input! I made a note for Star Ocean in the deluxe set list about the GH version coming without the box. (You are right, I forgot about it) I'll keep an eye out for Ar Tonelico if it is only available in the deluxe set, and for SMT Digital Devil Saga I have to look further into it. I'll make changes when i know for sure. Keep those informations and suggestions coming!

Yeah, now that the list is a bit elaborate (much more detailed than I ever intended), it makes sense to add the Greatest Hits games as well. I looked them up on the official Playstation website, and you missed only three games: X-Men Legends, LOTR Third Age, and Champions of Norrath. Thanks again for the suggestion and the list!

Looking through the Greatest Hits list confirmed what we all know: those movie licensed games still pay off, mediocre or bad gameplay, great sales. Well, Enter the Matrix set a new example in the very old tradition. Chronicles of Narnia as Greatest Hits?? Even Cabela Big Game Hunter got a GH edition, not of course Dragon Quest VIII. Shooting deer is still more popular than saving princesses and talking to kings transformed into green trolls. Should we blame the world for all this? Absolutely.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-08-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made two corrections: Ar tolenico is (at least so far) sold only in the deluxe set (game plus hardcover artbook, the soundtrack CD is a pre-order goodie from NIS and not part of the set); SMT Digital Devil Saga was also sold only in the deluxe edition.

That makes only three games available in deluxe and regular versions: FF XII, Growlanser, and dot hack G.U. (well, plus Star Ocean if accounted for the GH version).

If Ar tolenico will be eventually available in a regular edition, I'll change the note in the list.