Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

digital devil saga also had that deluxe box set edition as well. I don't know if you'll want to mention that. and as long as you are getting elaborate, it might be cool if you listed what exactly came with each game. for instance, phantom brave came with a soundtrack as well as the normal stuff. someone happening on that game at a used shop would want to know that. either way, great guide, I use it often!

Insert Coin (Level 0) eternalblue81's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    digital devil saga also had that deluxe box set edition as well. I don't know if you'll want to mention that. and as long as you are getting elaborate, it might be cool if you listed what exactly came with each game. for instance, phantom brave came with a soundtrack as well as the normal stuff. someone happening on that game at a used shop would want to know that. either way, great guide, I use it often!
    All deluxe versions are below the regular RPG list, along with what came included. Totally forgot about Phantom Brave, though! There were two different versions of Phantom Brave, one that came with a music CD, and one without. Both versions came in regular PS2 cases and the only outward way of checking which version is on the back, in a circle above the bottle it would say "Special Edition" or not. Or I suppose the item number on the spine, where an "S" is added after SLUS-20955.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah, I hadn't seen the added content at the bottom. and I guess I was wrong about dds, I thought there was a regular version that just had the cardboard box, and a deluxe box set version that had another outer sleeve as well. was the soundtrack for dds in a paper sleeve?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

carlcarlson and eternalblue, thanks so much for your input! I wasn't at all aware about Phantom Brave. I checked my sealed copy and obviously I have the non-CD version.

I made a separate list for games in regular cases with extra content. I wanted the games in deluxe sets/cardboard boxes still separately listed. Myabe there are more games like Phantom Brave available in two versions in regular cases? Thanks again for this important information. I just used your detailed information, eternalblue, and listed it. I hope I can trust you?

calcarlson, my copy of DDS is still sealed so I can't tell if the CD is in a paper sleeve. However, I saw pics of the deluxe set in which the CD is in a blank white paper sleeve...so I guess it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

alright cool. now here's another question. the dds box set has a place for both dds games, but it only came with dds 1 correct? what went in the other slot? I just got a copy of the dds box set and it has this sort of outer sleeve thing advertising dds 2. was that the placeholder, and if so, was anything in it?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

alright cool. now here's another question. the dds box set has a place for both dds games, but it only came with dds 1 correct? what went in the other slot? I just got a copy of the dds box set and it has this sort of outer sleeve thing advertising dds 2. was that the placeholder, and if so, was anything in it?
    It came only with Digital Devil Saga 1. The other slot in the so-called "art-box" is for Digital Devil Saga 2 which has to be purchased separately and was just empty. The entire set came in a slip cover which reads "Deluxe Box Set" and on its back also lists which items are included in the set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so what is this sleeve thing that I got? It's basically like the cover to a hardback book, and it is advertising dds 2.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so what is this sleeve thing that I got? It's basically like the cover to a hardback book, and it is advertising dds 2.
    I don't know. Mine is still sealed, and as long as I don't play it I keep it that way. When I described the content for the list I looked around on ebay, found and saved a pic and read the back of my copy...yeah, it came with this sleeve thingie; it can't be what they described as "artbox" for the two games since that thing is cardboard and visible in the slip cover.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I corrected the guide entry for SHADOW HEARTS. It was listed as having a guide, but actually there was no guide published in the US as far as I know. I think there was a mini-guide published by Brady but in the UK only.

Sorry about that. Don't know how that mistake happenened. I updated my personal lists and noticed that I had the game checked as owning the guide. Well, I looked and looked and didn't have the guide on the shelves, and I can't remember ever owning it. (and despite hundreds of guides I usually can still remember if I owe one).

BTW, I noticed that the the two guides for Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shadow Hearts From the New World are a bit on the more expensive side. Both go on ebay for $25 to $30, on Amazon used even higher. Pretty high for guides just published one year and two years ago.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LINK EBAY:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=013

For $50 I would have violated my rule not to spend more than $20 for a RPG since I've never even seen one of those. But at THIS price? Some people just...well, no comment. The game was just released 4 months ago, c'mon people.

First time I actually saw this Haseo action figure.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-21-2007 at 02:13 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added the Action/RPG Shining Force EXA (Sega, Sega) which was released just a couple of days ago to the normal RPG category.

For all you guide maniacs, there is a guide released for the game by Brady.

A heads up:
    Circuit City has some pretty good games on clearance in their bargain bins for some time now, among them Grandia III, Xenosaga III and Tales of Legendia for $16.96 each. (Also in the bins is Final Fantasy XI for the Xbox 360 for the same price and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams)

...not as good as a $5 or $10 sale, but still worthwhile checking it out.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-26-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was just looking through gamespots rpg database, and there are still a few rpgs coming out for the ps2 yet. oddly enough, they are all slated to be released within a month of each other. dawn of mana is may 22, odin sphere is may 29, atelier iris 3 is may 15, and persona 3 is in june. grimgrimoire is also supposed to be out in june, though its rts (nippon ichi though). anyway, i think that's pretty exciting, because all of those games look pretty good, and I can't wait to play persona 3. does anyone know anything about these games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I can't wait to play persona 3. does anyone know anything about these games?
    Based on the Gamestop/EB website, it looks like we will be getting the "Fes" special edition of Persona 3 when it's released this summer. Persona 3: Fes is a directors cut of the game that adds 30 hours after the final boss. The Fes Edition will be released in Japan in 2 weeks. Pretty cool.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

You know I really want to be excited over these titles. Especially Persona 3, but The PS2 RPGs I've played so far (minus DQ8) have all proved to be so bland I find it hard to care anymore.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    You know I really want to be excited over these titles. Especially Persona 3, but The PS2 RPGs I've played so far (minus DQ8) have all proved to be so bland I find it hard to care anymore.
    My attitude towards the titles as well. I have to say that my enthusiasm for RPGs decreased this console generation which has nothing to do with game quality. It is just that my gaming habits shifted from adventure games and RPGs towards...oh...the...shame...racers and tennis games. In particular racing games.

While Metropolis Street Racer and GT 3 and 4 with their rich gameplay value turned me into a fanatic who finished even Moto GP 3 (Xbox) and Burnout 3, I finished only a handful RPGs. At times I find the flood of RPGs truly overwhelming anyway. I have around 90 of the games now, and my reaction to new RPG announcements is simply "ANOTHER title to add to my list?"

...but I have to say that FFX and in particular Dragon Quest 8 were spectacular, some of the best gaming experiences I've had. DQ 8 captured perfectly the feel of the old Dragon Warriors, the gameplay, story, characters, and humor matched and was in balance. The game is a truly special treat.

BTW, I got lucky and got two deluxe sets of dot hack G.U. Rebirth, and put one of them up on ebay with detailed scans of the box and inserts. The link is here for the ones interested what exactly in the box and how the action figure and disc look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/hack-G-U-Vol-1-R...QQcmdZViewItem

...but I have also to say that I'm looking forward to Persona 3, not with the old enthusiasm, but with warm feelings nevertheless.
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-06-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Darias comment provokes a Q which goes for RPGs of the PS2 but also for game libraries in general of specific consoles: IS MORE BETTER? or from a game development standpoint, is it better to rush a game and get more of them or polish it to great gameplay value and get less releases? or from a economical standpoint, is it better to publish more of the same with minimal risk or publish a bit less following some new risky paths?

On the one hand we got an incredible library to choose from with numerous titles even for the niche like the tactical strategy RPGs, on the other hand we have to sift through mediocre titles which look and play awfully similar; sometimes I get the feeling that the quality of the top titles certainly didn't improve compared with the smaller libraries of the NES or SNES.
    Last edited by lendelin; 04-07-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Darias comment provokes a Q which goes for RPGs of the PS2 but also for game libraries in general of specific consoles: IS MORE BETTER? or from a game development standpoint, is it better to rush a game and get more of them or polish it to great gameplay value and get less releases? or from a economical standpoint, is it better to publish more of the same with minimal risk or publish a bit less following some new risky paths?
    I think a good example of this is extra long development cycle of Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy had essentially 11 games of turn-based battle systems that were all very similar. I loved the FF battle systems and when I found out that FFXII would be dropping random battles and only let you directly control 1 character, I was skeptical and a bit disappointed. When the game was released, it only took me an hour or so before I realized this was the best FF battle system yet. Square-Enix took a "risky path" by taking their game play in a different direction and ended up reinvigorating a stale franchise in my eyes.

Another perfect example of long development paying off in the end is with Resident Evil 4. It may have took 5 years to produce, but the end result is one of the best games ever made.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    On the one hand we got an incredible library to choose from with numerous titles even for the niche like the tactical strategy RPGs, on the other hand we have to sift through mediocre titles which look and play awfully similar; sometimes I get the feeling that the quality of the top titles certainly didn't improve compared with the smaller libraries of the NES or SNES.
    One thing that has to be considered is that the RPG libraries for the NES and SNES were essentially cherry-picked for us. It's not so much a matter of the companies producing less games as it is the fact that we more or less were only presented with what the best Japan had to offer (I mean this more in the sense that, of what we did receive, it was only top tier RPGs from Japan, rather than us receving ALL of the best Japanese RPGs, which was certainly not the case). In Japan, Squaresoft, Enix, and others were pumping out RPGs like there was no tomorrow. These days, since PlayStation and now PS2 even more so, we're experiencing what Japan has for years. While there are still some RPGs that don't get localized, the ratio is far slimer, so we're getting closer to experiencing EVERYTHING that Japan has to offer in terms of RPGs. Now we're stuck sifting through the mediocre titles as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a new title to add, but minor corrections involving the two Shining Force titles. Neo and EXA were both developed by Neverland, not Amusement Vision or any other internal Sega studios.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    Not a new title to add, but minor corrections involving the two Shining Force titles. Neo and EXA were both developed by Neverland, not Amusement Vision or any other internal Sega studios.
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. You are absolutely right, and I corrected the data. (meaning added Neverland as a developer for Shining Force EXA and Neo)