Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vaportransmitter View Post
    Wish I would of found this sooner. I have an almost identical list saved on my comp.

Some titles to consider:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Konami) / Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Konami) - I'm always trying to find a reason to add these games. It has experience, levels, equipment, storyline, stats... but I still dunno if they should be counted.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom (Ertain) - I've never played. Looks like a hack n slash. Many places have classified it as an RPG.

Digimon World 4 (Bandai) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Interplay) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Midway Games West) - Arcadey Hack n Slash.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (Midway Games) - More traditional Hack n Slash RPG.

Pirates: Legend of the Black Kat (7 Studios) - Hack n Slash RPG of sorts, haven't really played it.

----

Samurai Legend Musashi is an RPG and should not be in borderline.
    Furthermore, I remember hearing that monster Rancher EVO was an RPG this time around that abandoned many of the simulation elements of the previous games.

I've never understood why Harvest Moon (and RIver King for that matter) were considered RPGs. Enlighten me.
    Musashi Samurai Legend should be indeed in the standard RPG list and not in the borderline category. I updated the list accordingly.

Digimon World 4. It is indeed an action RPG which plays much like FF Crystal Chronicles. I guess the Digimon title threw me off, I added it to the standard RPG List. THANKS!!

About your other suggestions:

This goes in a direction I tried to avoid, namely the definition of a RPG since you address important fusion categories. No matter how we define a RPG (from a minimum definition to a maximum definition) and/or identify specific elements as necessary but not sufficient elements of a RPG (e.g. statistics for characters, leveling up by various methods of increasing these statistics, menu-driven combat systems, and others), there will always be hard to define cases, borderline cases, and exclusions of games we actually want to include and vice versa.

The fusion categories strategy/RPG, action/RPG, adventure/RPG, and simulation/RPG are not only the result of insufficient genre definitions which plague videogames since their origins (the unfortunate and non-sensical ‘arcade game’ comes to mind), but are the result of design development in the last twenty years towards hybrid games as well. Even sports games nowadays have trivial RPG elements, and the separation lines between the genres are awfully thin at times. (Thinking about Alundra, the Zelda games, or Shadow of the Colossus.)

In the end we can only evaluate certain RPG-elements of specific games if they dominate or are pushed into the background in order to flavor a certain genre of a game.

Castlevania games: nah, otherwise we should include Devil May Cry and many other games too. One or two elements we’d identify as necessary for an RPG isn’t enough to be recognized as an RPG, otherwise we might include Madden games as well. (otherwise I share your enthusiasm for Castlevania games completely, from the first NES Castlevania to Curse of Darkness the series is one of my all-time favorites. Too bad that the first Devil May Cry was what Castlevania LoI should have been - bad Konami, great Capcom!)

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel. The similarities to Baldur’s Gate are clear since the same game engine is used, but the few RPG-elements (exploration, leveling up with upgrading armor and weapons) are clearly minor and the action elements are emphasized. It is a hack’n slash game with RPG elements added as nice spices, but the action dominates to such a degree and in particular the story is pushed into the background to such a degree that I wouldn’t put it even in the borderline category.

Same as the above goes for the two Gauntlet games. To add some collecting elements and customization elements to an otherwise button mashing hack’n slash fest spiced up by some weak story isn’t enough to make a game a RPG. I regard the three games as much a RPG as the original Gauntlet or the new Ninety-Nine Nights.

Harvest Moon and River King: my weak defense/justification is to be as inclusionary as possible, and the weakest justification for listing them is the agreed fusion category simulation/RPG which is out there. I can’t justify the listing with gameplay elements since I never played a Harvest Moon game. Maybe you can argue for the inclusion or exclusion from the list, and others can provide their input too. I’d have no problems to remove them or putting them in the borderline category.
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-17-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the MMORPG list:

Final Fantasy XI: Vana’diel Collection 2008.* Square Enix, Sony Online Entertainment, 11/20/07.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the standard list:

Digimon World: Data Squad.* BEC, Bandai Namco, 9/18/07.

According to reviews a bad RPG, but nevertheless a RPG.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up, not so new anymore but still available and an attractive offer for some of you:

$19.99 at GS/EB Games: (new)
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner
    Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2

$19.99 at Walmart:
    GrimGrimoire
    Shining Force Exa
    Rogue Galaxy

(NOTE: Rogue Galaxy is at Target, K-Mart and Sears between $9 and $20, and Circuit City has it since yesterday for $20))
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-29-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice list,well done,XD:

Insert Coin (Level 0) eternalblue81's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just like to add that anyone looking for Final Fantasy XII for cheap might want to check out their local Toys R Us. They recently clearanced it to 9.98 and through 1/1 they have a half off sale for clearance games under $10. I couldn't help but buy one for $5 even though I already have the GS collector's version, so now I have a regular version in my collection, too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Q:

Today I noticed that "Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Special Edition" is a Greatest Hits game although it is not listed in the official PS2 site as such. (I added the title to the Greatest Hits list)

The Q is if the Greatest Hits version belongs into the category "regular cases with extra content" as well. On the cover it says 'Includes Bonus Disc.'

Does anyone of you have this version of the game or played it and can give some information which new gameplay content the Special Edition includes and what the content of the bonus disc is?

This way we could decide if the title belongs in two categories. (extra content/greatest hits)

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Okami as borderline? It's styled so much after Zelda and most consider that in the RPG category.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bit in the sour apple and bought today the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Special Edition which is the Greatest Hits version as well. (im not interested in GH versions otherwise)

There seems to be no expanded game content (unlike the Gold Edition of the game for the 360), but it includes a making-of DVD with trailers of the game.

I added the title to the category 'Regular Cases with extra content.'

The game (GH) is $14.80 at Walmart.
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    What about Okami as borderline? It's styled so much after Zelda and most consider that in the RPG category.
    I wouldn't include it. The inclusion would open a box of other "adventure" games like Shadow of the Colossus and many others.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads-up:

It seems that we'll get in March an interesting RPG. The game is Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis, a quirky, and so it seems fun Japanese RPG developed by Gust and published by NIS.

Unusual about the game is that it will get not only one, but two DIFFERENT deluxe sets. It will be only sold in the deluxe box that all retailers get, containing a mini-poster and a soundtrack CD. (similar box like Magna Carta or Ar Tonelico) Retail price is $39.99.

The second deluxe set is an exclusive release from ROSENQUEEN. It contains the soundtrack CD and mini-poster as well, however, it comes additionally with a Jess figurine and comes in a special, limited collector's box. It does NOT contain the regular deluxe box retailers will get...which makes it TWO sets to buy if you go for a complete RPG set for the PS2.

To get the 'regular' box won't be a problem, I guess, and I'll wait when it gets cheaper; but the exclusive Rosenqueen release might be hard to get in 6 months for the release price of $49.99 (think the $40 to $50 price increase of the Gamestop/EBGames exclusive box for .hack GU volume 1 with the figurine) Shipping is $7, which makes it $57 altogether.

The limited special edition can be pre-ordered from Rosenqueen. LINK:
    http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?...rodID=219&HS=1
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default huh...

huh...I always thought of Okami as an RPG, but I can see why you would not include it....tough call for me...I like it in the RPG category myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Heavenly Guardian?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added to the category 'Regular Cases with Extra Content:'

03) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Limited Edition. Available in a standard edition and in an edition with a soundtrack CD. The front covers of the two versions are indistinguishable. The first printing contains the CD with the comment on the back cover “Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD,” whereas the second printing was released without the CD.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    What about Heavenly Guardian?
    I remember reading about it in preview sections, but it is not released yet in the US. I can't remember anything about the gameplay and if it qualifies as a RPG. Do you have any information about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Added to the category 'Regular Cases with Extra Content:'

03) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Limited Edition. Available in a standard edition and in an edition with a soundtrack CD. The front covers of the two versions are indistinguishable. The first printing contains the CD with the comment on the back cover “Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD,” whereas the second printing was released without the CD.
    Has this been confirmed? It doesn't make much sense seeing as Atlus had tons of the Nocturne CD's left over. They printed more soundtrack CD's than they did games and ended up giving them away free with orders from the Atlus.com store.

Also, there was only 1 printing of SMT: Nocturne according to Atlus USA themselves. Unless you've personally seen the different covers, I'd hold off "officially" updating the RPG list. There is a huge bootleg industry for rare games, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a boot. Atlus has been very clear about how many printings SMT: Nocturne received (which was 1).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I normally don't care for the NIS exclusive "packages" as they're usually just a bunch of memorabilia bundled together for an exorbarent price. But the Mana Khemia set isn't any more expensive than any other new game and that outer case would look... impressive on the shelf. Figures not half bad either. I'm tempted to pre-order it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Has this been confirmed? It doesn't make much sense seeing as Atlus had tons of the Nocturne CD's left over. They printed more soundtrack CD's than they did games and ended up giving them away free with orders from the Atlus.com store.

Also, there was only 1 printing of SMT: Nocturne according to Atlus USA themselves. Unless you've personally seen the different covers, I'd hold off "officially" updating the RPG list. There is a huge bootleg industry for rare games, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a boot. Atlus has been very clear about how many printings SMT: Nocturne received (which was 1).
    I'm afraid the entry is correct. I wasn't aware of it either, but I'm sure one of our fellow RPG-DPers has the version with the CD.

Before I made the entry I looked around on various RPG sites which mentioned it frequently. I then looked around on ebay, and the CD-version with a double disc case was offered a lot. I then found this picture in the completed listings:

It says indeed on the back cover "Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD." Also, the CD version was released with the security strip on top of the case, while the later version without the CD doesn't have the security strip. If that can count officially as a second printing, I don't know. It was referred to as such very often.

Too bad that the thing exists. I have the two versions of Phantom Brave and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but not Nocturne. I got the non-CD version from a Gamecrazy sale new for $18 some time ago, it is still sealed, and thought I lucked out considering the price for the game today. That is why I never looked around on ebay or other sites and didn't notice that the CD version exists.

One thing is for sure: I won't pay $90 for the CD version, that is out of the question. It would just irk me to no end to pay so much money.

I assumed I'm only two games short of all the PS2 RPGs, and now there are still the two deluxe sets for Mana in March, Baroque will be released in one month, and now last but not least this damn CD version.
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I normally don't care for the NIS exclusive "packages" as they're usually just a bunch of memorabilia bundled together for an exorbarent price. But the Mana Khemia set isn't any more expensive than any other new game and that outer case would look... impressive on the shelf. Figures not half bad either. I'm tempted to pre-order it.
    Same here. It is not like the $90 Growlanser Deluxe set, and the packaging looks just too cute. Besides, it is its own version in its own package and not just a bundle thrown together which comes with the game.
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-22-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I remember reading about it in preview sections, but it is not released yet in the US. I can't remember anything about the gameplay and if it qualifies as a RPG. Do you have any information about it?
    I'm not sure, it looks a little action-adventurey in the oldschool Zelda vein. I'm planning on picking it up though. I'll let you know when I get a chance to play it.