Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: pc engine/coregrafx ?

  1. #1
    Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default pc engine/coregrafx ?

    What's the difference, if any, between the PC Engine, Coregrafx, & Coregrafx II. I Mean, hell, they all seem the same to me.

    http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginef...console_g.html

  2. #2
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: pc engine/coregrafx ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky
    What's the difference, if any, between the PC Engine, Coregrafx, & Coregrafx II. I Mean, hell, they all seem the same to me.

    http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginef...console_g.html
    I have TG16 and i'm fine with that. I only have a few games so I play the rest on emulation. Collecting for all the PC Engine variants is almost unfair.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

  3. #3
    Banana (Level 7) klausien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    A PC Engine is white and RF only. The Coregrafx & Coregrafx 2 add composite. They are identical internally AFAIK, but have slightly different shells. The Coregrafx was released with the SuperGrafx & Shuttle (HuCard only), which is why it has blue lettering. I have one and they are pretty cool.





    The CoreGrafx II was released along with the Super CD ROM add on that replaced the suitcase-style, single speed original. The Super CD was up to spec with the Duo and had orange lettering, thus matching the CoreGrafx II.

    There are plenty of websites that explain all this, but I just wanted to give you a real reply.

  4. #4
    Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

    Default

    I don't blame anyone for being confused. I have never seen a more complicated family of systems in my life. Every time a thread like this pops up, I stop in and learn something else. Really frustrating, and I can't imagine what it must have been like for a parent in Japan trying to buy something for their kids back then!

  5. #5
    Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    A PC Engine is white and RF only. The Coregrafx & Coregrafx 2 add composite. They are identical internally AFAIK, but have slightly different shells. The Coregrafx was released with the SuperGrafx & Shuttle (HuCard only), which is why it has blue lettering. I have one and they are pretty cool.






    The CoreGrafx II was released along with the Super CD ROM add on that replaced the suitcase-style, single speed original. The Super CD was up to spec with the Duo and had orange lettering, thus matching the CoreGrafx II.

    There are plenty of websites that explain all this, but I just wanted to give you a real reply.
    So then would it be safe to assume that the shuttle was RF only also?

  6. #6
    Banana (Level 7) klausien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    No, the Shuttle was also composite. Cannot be used with the CD ROM though, so it is very limited, but expensive.

  7. #7
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    NEC sure milked the PCE for all it's worth.

    Still all these version can confuse a, noob easly it doesn't bother me... Since it gives ya choice's you might want.

    I got a "Duo-R and a CoreGrafx" for one thing the, CG is a small console nice if ya wanna save space.

  8. #8
    Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    NEC sure milked the PCE for all it's worth.

    Still all these version can confuse a, noob easly it doesn't bother me... Since it gives ya choice's you might want.

    I got a "Duo-R and a CoreGrafx" for one thing the, CG is a small console nice if ya wanna save space.
    Everyone gives Sega shit for all the peripherals and shit but it seems like NEC and the PC Engine was the worst of them all.

    Don't get me wrong I love my TG16, but how mwny you really need of the same console, not to mention that 6 game wonder Supergrafx.

  9. #9
    Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    NEC sure milked the PCE for all it's worth.

    Still all these version can confuse a, noob easly it doesn't bother me... Since it gives ya choice's you might want.

    I got a "Duo-R and a CoreGrafx" for one thing the, CG is a small console nice if ya wanna save space.
    Everyone gives Sega shit for all the peripherals and shit but it seems like NEC and the PC Engine was the worst of them all.

    Don't get me wrong I love my TG16, but how mwny you really need of the same console, not to mention that 6 game wonder Supergrafx.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,139
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    22
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    I don't blame anyone for being confused. I have never seen a more complicated family of systems in my life. Every time a thread like this pops up, I stop in and learn something else.
    Ha, I do the exact same thing. :) I haven't been able to afford to pick up a system just yet, but I think another factor in why I still have nothing to play my Rondo of Blood on is that I'm frickin' terrified of buying the wrong thing, hehe. I always try to educate myself a little more, but then I only end up confused and I forget everything.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
  2. PC Engine coregrafx possible problem
    By Manhattan Sports Club in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
  3. Boxed PCE CoreGrafx FS
    By klausien in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
  4. FS: PC Engine CoreGrafx system in US
    By flywheels in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 03:47 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •