Thread: pc engine/coregrafx ?

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default pc engine/coregrafx ?

What's the difference, if any, between the PC Engine, Coregrafx, & Coregrafx II. I Mean, hell, they all seem the same to me.

http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginef...console_g.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: pc engine/coregrafx ?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky
    What's the difference, if any, between the PC Engine, Coregrafx, & Coregrafx II. I Mean, hell, they all seem the same to me.

http://pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginef...console_g.html
    I have TG16 and i'm fine with that. I only have a few games so I play the rest on emulation. Collecting for all the PC Engine variants is almost unfair.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A PC Engine is white and RF only. The Coregrafx & Coregrafx 2 add composite. They are identical internally AFAIK, but have slightly different shells. The Coregrafx was released with the SuperGrafx & Shuttle (HuCard only), which is why it has blue lettering. I have one and they are pretty cool.

The CoreGrafx II was released along with the Super CD ROM add on that replaced the suitcase-style, single speed original. The Super CD was up to spec with the Duo and had orange lettering, thus matching the CoreGrafx II.

There are plenty of websites that explain all this, but I just wanted to give you a real reply.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I don't blame anyone for being confused. I have never seen a more complicated family of systems in my life. Every time a thread like this pops up, I stop in and learn something else. Really frustrating, and I can't imagine what it must have been like for a parent in Japan trying to buy something for their kids back then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    A PC Engine is white and RF only. The Coregrafx & Coregrafx 2 add composite. They are identical internally AFAIK, but have slightly different shells. The Coregrafx was released with the SuperGrafx & Shuttle (HuCard only), which is why it has blue lettering. I have one and they are pretty cool.

The CoreGrafx II was released along with the Super CD ROM add on that replaced the suitcase-style, single speed original. The Super CD was up to spec with the Duo and had orange lettering, thus matching the CoreGrafx II.

There are plenty of websites that explain all this, but I just wanted to give you a real reply.
    So then would it be safe to assume that the shuttle was RF only also?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the Shuttle was also composite. Cannot be used with the CD ROM though, so it is very limited, but expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

NEC sure milked the PCE for all it's worth.

Still all these version can confuse a, noob easly it doesn't bother me... Since it gives ya choice's you might want.

I got a "Duo-R and a CoreGrafx" for one thing the, CG is a small console nice if ya wanna save space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0

Still all these version can confuse a, noob easly it doesn't bother me... Since it gives ya choice's you might want.

I got a "Duo-R and a CoreGrafx" for one thing the, CG is a small console nice if ya wanna save space.
    Everyone gives Sega shit for all the peripherals and shit but it seems like NEC and the PC Engine was the worst of them all.

Don't get me wrong I love my TG16, but how mwny you really need of the same console, not to mention that 6 game wonder Supergrafx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0

Everyone gives Sega shit for all the peripherals and shit but it seems like NEC and the PC Engine was the worst of them all.

Don't get me wrong I love my TG16, but how mwny you really need of the same console, not to mention that 6 game wonder Supergrafx.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    I don't blame anyone for being confused. I have never seen a more complicated family of systems in my life. Every time a thread like this pops up, I stop in and learn something else.
    Ha, I do the exact same thing. :) I haven't been able to afford to pick up a system just yet, but I think another factor in why I still have nothing to play my Rondo of Blood on is that I'm frickin' terrified of buying the wrong thing, hehe. I always try to educate myself a little more, but then I only end up confused and I forget everything.