Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite ports and hated ports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default favorite ports and hated ports

any port of any old games , you found to be better or more advanced than the original , or ports you would just spit on or defacate on.

good : zelda gc bonus disc(awesome crisp new resolution)
    FF dawn of souls (not a huge hit on my list but a awesome boost on playabailty on my list)
    re 2 and 3 gc (looks damn fine on the hd tv)
    doom gba (great even without the last 2 bosses i couldnt complain)

bad: zelda 4 swords: damn link yells on zelda 3
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Good

Maniac Mansion (NES) - The added soundtrack contains quite possibly the best tunes in NES history.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

RE2 N64. A sheer technical masterpeice. Fun to play too.

As for Least favorite i'd say MGS2: Substance for the XBox. Konami really dropped the ball on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst ports? How about Doom and Wolfenstein for the SNES.

Best? Um, Mario All-Stars, maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bad? Well, allllllllll the console Donkey Kong Arcade ports! Their always missing some levels

Good? Mario All-Stars for sure, the newer Midway Arcade hits! Thank GOD, two anilog sticks for RoboTron,Smash T.V. ect.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never like Mario Allstars. The gameplay was well-preserved, and the ability to save was awesome, but I was always pissed by minor changes like the different tunnel backgrounds in Mario 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You didn't like the Strawberry Jam tunels? Thought it was pretty cool myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Most Hated.

NES
    Paperboy
    Robocop
    Gauntlet

Atari 2600
    Pac-man

Heck that's all i can think of for now.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario games ported to the GBA.

Super Mario 2 being the biggest sinner.

Never has a generic "beep" sounded so much better than an annoying voice clip when you jump.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Good:
    Maniac Mansion (nes)
    Super Mario All-Stars (snes)

The Bad:
    Thexder (nes)
    King's Quest 5 (nes)
    Captain America and the Avengers (snes)
    TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (nes)

There's a lot more bad than good, but thats all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

old game ports like the games on the aniversary packs or multi game packs - or the plug and play devices -- all the remade games are harder -

ill play and do well on the arcade version - but on the ai seems to be much better on the home versions (nes to current)
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Time Killers was a bad arcade game but it did have its charms with the chainsaw decapitations and all.

The Genesis port, on the other hand, took what littlew was good about the original and exorcised it. Just dreadful.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra
    Bad? Well, allllllllll the console Donkey Kong Arcade ports! Their always missing some levels
    Even the TI-99 4/A version?

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

My personal favorites:

Mortal Kombat II SNES (For its time it was amazing and the most accurate port ever for the game, everything was there!)

Street Fighter III PS2 (I just got this, what a great port)

SFA3 Saturn (Talk about perfection)

Radiant Silvergun Saturn (Awesome arcade port)

Every Saturn Neo Geo port (Almost every one is faithful and makes great use of the extra ram cart, a little more loading but graphics and gameplay are dead on, check out Metal Slug for saturn sometime too!)

The not so good:

Dracula X Saturn (I know I know it has more features but for gods sake this was the SATURN and it could of been so much smoother, my true Castlevania fans know what I am talking about. This was rushed and done by a poor development team who took very little advanatage of the saturn's power)

Dracula X SNES (Now this was an original game but many of the sprites and sounds were ported over to create a bland, linear castlevania experience. Why didn't Konami port over the real Dracula X from the Duo. Given the power of the SNES it would of worked out just great, we probably would of just lost the CD quality sound, even the voices/cinema would of fit on a 32meg SNES cart)

FFA/FF Collection Playstation (Another rushed port in which loading times and long saving times made die hards who grew up playing these games disapointed. I know for the new generation it seems minor but guys like me might have put 400+ hours into these games collectively and you do notice the difference)

SC2000 (PSX, Saturn, SNES) (I waited and waited and waited for SC2000 to come to the home consoles. I used to call maxis and ask them every other day when the PS1 version was coming out (Didn't have a computer capable of running SC2000 at the time) I may of personally been responsible for it coming out at all The resolution and clunky controlls made it not enjoyable. Plus my favorite feature (Naming things with signs) wasn't in the home console version)
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loved:

Dodonpachi Daioujou and ESPGaluda for Playstation 2. Arika's ports of Cave's shmups are nothing less than flat out amazing. Full on ports of the original games, additional game modes, bonus replay DVDs, interactive replays, etc. The benchmark against which all future home ports of Cave will be judged. If it weren't for these, a lot more people would have enjoyed Taito's port of Mushihimesama.

Hated:

Mafia for Playstation 2 and Xbox. The PC game was brilliant and tied with NOLF2 for best damn game of 2002 (for me, your mileage may vary of course!). Gripping storyline, excellent voice acting, awesome graphics, great gameplay...it just did everything right. When you beat the game you unlocked Freeride Extreme mode, which was pretty much a whole new game with a whole new set of fun and interesting challenges.

Unfortunatly, the PS2 and Xbox ports didn't turn out too well. Aside from being crippled by some horrible slowdown, they've also totally removed free ride extreme. So in addition to being nearly unplayable, there's no replay value. Awesome call!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yam
    I never like Mario Allstars. The gameplay was well-preserved, and the ability to save was awesome, but I was always pissed by minor changes like the different tunnel backgrounds in Mario 3.

hmm wow and I always loved how they did Mario Allstars I thought that was a great port.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maniac Mansion, TMNT2, Super Mario All Stars, and the Zelda Bonus Disc for gamecube are my favorites.

Least favorite would probably be Wolfenstein for the SNES, which wasnt all THAT bad.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Mortal Kombat 2 (32X and SNES)
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts (GBA) mmmm mmm ghoulie good!
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Saturn) *drools*
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast hands down)
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike (Hard to say, but Im going with Xbox and Dreamcast as a tie) Yes I do own the PS2 verison..but I went with Xbox because of the Xbox Live play and most people who have HDTV can vouche for it too
    DOOM 64 (awwww yeah! if this baby had a Deathmatch mode, it would be flawless)
    Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, yup after finally renting the PS2 verison, Cube is where ya wanna be)

Worst: Mortal Kombat 2 Sega GameGear and GameBoy (Broke my heart when Baraka was gone )
    Primal Rage (SNES) oh dear god....
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts (Capcom Generation Vol. 2) Why is Arthur lagging?
    Ghouls N Ghosts (Capcom Classics Collection) Why are the sound effects so quiet and the brightness so weak?
    DOOM II on GBA (I'm sorry, as rare as this is, I can't play it without wondering how much choppy can a woodchuck chop, if a woodchuck could chop up choppy gameplay?)
    Sonic Mega Collection (PS2) The Xbox verison looks and sounds smoother to the original games then this garbage..
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The zelda collector's disc on the cube was good. The GBA version of a link to the past was dumb. The only reason I didn't like it was the minor changes. Why would you port a popular classic and change things.

I also liked Final Fantasy IV,V and VI on the PS1. It was nice to be able to know your saved game isn't gonna be erased due to a bad battery in a cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    DOOM 64 (awwww yeah! if this baby had a Deathmatch mode, it would be flawless)
    Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, yup after finally renting the PS2 verison, Cube is where ya wanna be)
    Doom 64 wasn't a port of anything, it was a totally original game. The only port of that game is the PC version that came out a year or two ago by some extremely dedicated fans.

DOOM II on GBA (I'm sorry, as rare as this is, I can't play it without wondering how much choppy can a woodchuck chop, if a woodchuck could chop up choppy gameplay?)
    Yea, I was a bit disappointed in it as well. A lot of people seemed to love it because they had previously been exposed to the crappy port of Doom (....which was based off of the Jaguar Doom source code...), but really...a turd is a turd, man. The GBA simply should not be a platform for first person shooters.