Thread: Anyone get/getting a GP2X?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone get/getting a GP2X?

Apparently it was supposed to come out this month according to Play Asia, has anyone got one yet? Or planning on getting one?

Looks interesting to me.. I'd consider selling my SNES/Genny games and just emulate them on the go.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I had one on pre-order at Lik-Sang, but they cancelled all their orders due to a number of problems with early units... although basically all of the problems are software issues that will be corrected by future firmware updates...

It's also worth pointing out that GPH has had some slow production runs, so if you want a GP2X ASAP, your choices are kind of limited... I've heard that GBAX, GP32z and play-asia all have systems on reserve from the second manufacturing run which should ship out in December... everywhere else is probably stuck waiting until January.

I still plan on getting one myself, but I'm going to wait until January, after the dust has cleared and things have settled down a bit. However, there is already plenty of really impressive stuff available for the GP2X. You might want to check out GP32X for more information.

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My GP2x arrived about 3 days back. I've emulated (and beaten) Metal Slug 2. Played around a bit with Super Mario World. Most of yesterday was spent learning how to rip PSX games.

Great/perfect emulators are still weeks off, so I wouldn't say there's any need to hurry in getting one. The music/video players work fine enough. So far, I'm pleased with it. Anyone else here get or preorder one?
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    My GP2x arrived about 3 days back. I've emulated (and beaten) Metal Slug 2. Played around a bit with Super Mario World. Most of yesterday was spent learning how to rip PSX games.

Great/perfect emulators are still weeks off, so I wouldn't say there's any need to hurry in getting one. The music/video players work fine enough. So far, I'm pleased with it. Anyone else here get or preorder one?
    You should try the new DrMD - it emulates the Genesis with sound and no frameskip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know where to get one in the US? Play-Asia and Lik-Sang don't seem to be getting them...

Also I'm not too skilled with computers and all that stuff, is it fairly easy to get emulators and ROMs playing on the GP2X?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satac
    You should try the new DrMD - it emulates the Genesis with sound and no frameskip
    Yes, it's the best emulator right now. I had a few problems with the sound, but that may be fixable through the menu options. There were a few typos and such, so I'm sure another update will be out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    Does anyone know where to get one in the US? Play-Asia and Lik-Sang don't seem to be getting them...
    I'm in Florida and pre-ordered mine from gp32z.com, who are the official US distributor. I think they only ordered enough to take care of the preorders up to December 1st, but they should have more in a few weeks? I Or they still might have some. Try emailing them first.

also:
    http://www.gp2x.co.uk - official UK distributor
    http://shop.gp2x.de - official German distributor

Also I'm not too skilled with computers and all that stuff, is it fairly easy to get emulators and ROMs playing on the GP2X?
    1. First off, there's the formatting of the SD card. (be sure to get one off this list)
    2. After that. for the NES/genesis stuff, simple mastery of zipping and unzipping.
    3. You make folders and copy over the emulators/skins/roms to the SD card.
    4. For NeoGeo CD and PSX, you will need a FAQ. Ripping ISOs and replacing movie files and such.

I mean, for the most part it's easy, I guess. There are plenty of FAQs on it, step-by-step. I lucked out and bought a good SD card weeks before the compatibility list was released. Also, I've hit a few dead ends and more than a few mistakes, but it only makes the end result all the more sweeter.

EDIT!! short video of neogeocd emulator in action.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm planning on getting one. It's gonna rock.
    Move 'sig' for great justice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just ordered one of these myself. I just couldn't hold back on a game system that actually PROMOTES homebrew development. Can't wait till it arrives!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually got mine about a week ago. I've been running some Game Boy and SNES stuff now. No ability to save in Game Boy games though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to hear there are more owners out there. If I may suggest a game, it would be Noiz2sa. Even if you played the Dreamcast one or this flash version, it's definitely worth checking out. To the unfamiliar, it's a horizontal shooter with the twist being that your "ship" is only a 1x1 pixel. Tons of patterns and enemies. It's great.

I usually play it around levels 4-6 and I've yet to beat level 7 on the GP2X. I get to like wave 6 and just fail miserably.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually got mine about a week ago. I've been running some Game Boy and SNES stuff now. No ability to save in Game Boy games though.

where did you order from?
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to get one of these... I currently have a GP32, which is already an amazing little handheld. I plan on getting the GP2x eventually, but must first prioritize my funds...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freckledpeas
    I would love to get one of these... I currently have a GP32, which is already an amazing little handheld. I plan on getting the GP2x eventually, but must first prioritize my funds...
    See, I'm sorry I missed out on all of the GP32 fun over the years. I just never got around to getting the system. But, now I am very excited about the GP2X. Just the fact that you can throw any DivX movie on it without messing with resizing and so on is awesome. I ordered the tv-out cable for it as well, so emulation and movie playback can be done with the GP2X's screen, or on my big screen! I just can't wait until it arrives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I must follow up on my GP2X purchase:

The system looked ok, abeit somewhat cheap feeling. I had already expected this, as I would imagine the quality control coming from Gamepark Holdings would not be of the magnitude of say, Nintendo or Sony.

The system's joypad control absolutely STINKS. Probably the most un-ergonomic pad I have ever used. Your thumb feels like it has rug burn only after of few minutes of playing (or trying to) . The emulators (the ones available..DrMD and a few others I tried) look and work fine, but the controls really killed it for me. I guess if I want to *look* at a perfectly emulated Genesis game, it is ok.

And here's the real kicker. I played with the unit for a few hours, and out of nowhere the SD card refused to read. I re-booted, and it froze at the GP2X green load screen. I re-booted again, and it finally went back into the menu. From here, the SD card read again. I said to myself "ok, just a glitch", and just as I thought that, the screen started bleeding the graphics, flashed abit, and then died. That is all she wrote. And yes, I tried replacing the batteries with fresh ones as well.

I shipped the unit back to gp32z.com today. Hopefully I get a refund, as I have not been receiving replies from my various emails.

I purchased a PSP and downgraded it to v1.5. Emulation is excellent (almost everythingis now full speed/sound), the controls are what they should be, and I am pretty confident that it will not die on me after 2 hours of use.

I don't mean to come across as a GP2X hater so to speak, and I am sure others will not appreciate my opinion, but the system is just not worth the price...even if it did not die on me. In my eyes, the PSP is the ultimate emualtion portable as of now.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I hate the thumbstick also. But there is an easy solution.
    Get an old N64 pad from Ebgames for a few bucks. Find one with a removeable thumbstick that feels good to you. Lot's of the 3rd party ones have them. Then just pop off the thumbstick , use a knife and cut off a coupleof millimetres off the bottom of the thumbstick and pop it on the GP2X.

I have several now that are VERY nice and feel and work great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life

where did you order from?
    Play Asia.com