Thread: Winner doesn't want to pay, Looking for a little advice.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Winner doesn't want to pay, Looking for a little advice.

I am so sorry for the inconvience but would you please ask for the second highest bidder to buy it.
    I hope you can find yourself in my position. i was bidding on it thinking of a total @$41 and did not realize that i was typing $36 instead of $46. If you could please try to get another buyer to buy it. Please respond,
    Calvin
    So, what should I do with this guy? I don't buy his story, cause I just don't think he is that stupid. He has bid on stuff before. He only beat the other guy out by a dollar.

Here is my response:
    Calvin,

First, let me say I appreciate your quick and candid response. Much better than leading me on for 2 weeks with false promises. I am still deciding how to proceed here, but let me urge you to reconsider purchasing the game. That would make my life easier. And, its "only" $10 more than you expected to pay. Alright, I'm headed off to contemplate.

ray
    If I do a second chance offer, should a still file a non-paying bidder on him? That is what I want to do, but I'm not sure how it all worlks. Help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was me, I'd go with the second person. Obviously it sounds like he doesn't want to pay. You can't force him. And the sad thing is, if you report him, you'll probably get negative feedback. That's the fun of Ebay - and the reason I try to avoid it if possible

Seriously though, life is short, go to the second person, and just sell the thing. If $10 is worth the frustration..... (now if it was $100+ that might be different).

(And to those who 'may' reply here about 'nailing the bum', please stay away from insulting my opinion - which is all it is)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did he put in a snipe or did he bid way before the auction ended? If he sniped it, it might be a genuine mistake and he did not have time to retract his bid. In the other case he would have had plenty of time to correct his mistake...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really is no excuse for this behaviour in my opinion. I would make him honor his bid. Most likely the second highest bidder will not want to accept your offer anyway. I am always suspicious of sellers who offer second chance offers. It always smells like a Shill bidder to me. Sadly it almost always is.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope you can find yourself in my position. i was bidding on it thinking of a total @$41 and did not realize that i was typing $36 instead of $46
    What does he mean? That he placed a bid at $36, but ment to put $46?
    I once put a bid on like 2000 dollars instead of 20 because I used "," instead of "." was something like 19,53 or something. I didnt notice this before the auction ended and the price ended at over $100 for a NES game hehe. I explained and he didnt do anything. I even got positive feedback hehe I left him positive first tho.

Anyway, if he doesnt want to pay theres not much you can do. I would also give a 2nd chance offer to the next highest bidder.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yok-dfa - yeah, he placed the winning bid 4 hours early. He didn't snipe. Can't you retract a bid if you really don't mean it? I suspect buyers remorse, and he was hoping someone would outbid him.

number6 - yeah, I never take second chance offers, cause I always think "shill bidder." You are right on.

jaja - I thought the same thing. His excuse doesn't even make sense. That is why I said I don't think he is really that stupid.

Update: I sent a second chance offer to the second highest bidder. It sucks though, for the previously stated reasons. I think ozyr is right, I can't make him pay, and "sticking it too him" isn't going to do me much good.

I might as well try to work it out. I think I'll send a few second chance offers, see if anyone's interested. If not, I'll file a npb so I can get my fees back. Then, if I'm feeling nice, we can mutually withdraw the npb (I think).

Does it work this way, with filing a npb? I read the thing on ebay, and I think I get it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kind of an amazing, unexpected end to this story. Tonight I got this e-mail:

Yeah i am sorry about that. I will purchase the game. Sorry about that, $10 is not that bad. I am gonnna send it through paypal. Thanks for not automatically giving me a negative.
    I about fell out of my chair. I never thought this guy would pay up. I'm glad I kept my correspondence civil. Communication. I guess it all worked out, and he paypal'd my the full amount. A happy ebay ending! Woo-hoo!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe glad it worked out ok

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dang dude,that's the most stupid excuse i ever heard,what kinda cheezebag is this,i wanted to type $36 instead of $46.Get outta here,i would gladly take a neg for that,don't worry bout 1 neg,people can see what other positives you have so....let him pay and report to eBay.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just block off people who pulls off that kind of crap.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Winner doesn't want to pay, Looking for a little advice.

i was bidding on it thinking of a total @$41 and did not realize that i was typing $46 instead of $36. If you could please try to get another buyer to buy it. Please respond, Calvin
    Ebay says (1) "You may retract the bid only within one hour after placing the bid (and if your situation meets eBay's exceptional circumstances description)." and (2) "You accidentally enter a wrong bid amount (for example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95). If this occurs, re-enter the correct bid amount immediately." and (3) "If you are not allowed to retract your bid during the last 12-hours of the listing, you may contact the seller to request that your bid be canceled. The seller will have the discretion whether to cancel your bid."

(3) gives me discretion to cancel - I won't. It wastes my money - $2 in fees - and time. (1) and (2) gave you chance to correct the error by yourself - you didn't. Why did you not?

Perhaps if you give reason to waste my money/time for your mistake? Can you think of a good reason?

thank you

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!